My Floating Home

HenryFreeman

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Expensive portholes.

Yes, £800 a pop iirc. He apparently went for portholes to "retain the traditional look", which I don't think is achieved by fitting huge, shiny black plastic-looking frames. Still, the idea of a thermal break in the frame appeals.

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes, £800 a pop iirc. He apparently went for portholes to "retain the traditional look", which I don't think is achieved by fitting huge, shiny black plastic-looking frames. Still, the idea of a thermal break in the frame appeals.

Any idea who did the steel work

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I looked at thermal break porthole frames (from Caldwells) when having my boat built, and after talking to Ricky decided they were kind of pointless with portholes -- unlike a window there's not much of the frame exposed inside the boat, there's actually more of the frame of the porthole itself (glass surround) exposed and these don't have thermal breaks anyway...

Definitely didn't want the big smoked glass bonded frames like the boat above, or "traditional" brass (too much polishing, no brass elsewhere on the boat anyway), thought of getting them matt silver anodised, but in the end decided to get them powder-coated in the same RAL colour as the cabin panels -- means they look quite subtle and blend in instead of hitting you between the eyes...

portholes.jpg

Edited by IanD

On 01/09/2023 at 10:45, ditchcrawler said:

I watched last nights with a chap coming over from New Zeeland  to have one built by Swan, no mention of two pack on the hull, I don't think they did the base plate as it was 2" from the ground. Expensive portholes.

I see @matty40s on Old Friends had a quick moment in that episode.

On 12/08/2023 at 00:05, MtB said:

How quaint.

The letters I get start with the premise that I am obviously watching telly regularly and therefore I need a licence, so as I don't have one, I am de-facto breaking the law.

Well fukkem, if they asked nicely I'd have replied 'no telly', but they never ask! So I ignore their letters.

How brave am I, lol!!! 

Years ago I had a black and white telly, a small portable one with a dial to tune it, now I accept this wasn't the norm but that's what I had and I had a black and white TV license.

Cue an endless stream of wrist slapping letters telling me to get a colour license, which I ignored, after an initial letter explaining I actually do have a black and white TV.

During a particularly unpleasant flu/cold bout I was at home on the sick and answered a knock on the door, on seeing a dreadlocked hippy in a dressing gown with snot streaming and bloodshot eyes answer the door the TV detector chap refused my offer to show him the TV and left the door step fairly sharpish, never heard back from them again, dunno why :)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I don't have a telly but still get the letters to my London mooring. Luckily they tell you what they are without opening so can go straight in the fire. 

It seems to me that informing them you have no telly would result in a 'we don't believe you' outcome and invite investigation and more harassment. 

Agro just ignore. 

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It seems to me that informing them you have no telly would result in a 'we don't believe you' outcome and invite investigation and more harassment.

You can inform them online, you can only defer it for a year, then you have to tell them again.

Had this with mum's house when she was in care, had threatening letters, agent coming on such a date letters, we'll see you in court letters etc. Rang up the first time and told them house was empty indefinitely and i couldn't give a date, still told can only be done for a year. Pain in the harris. Nothing came of any of it. Waste of everyone's time.

48 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its going to be funny if they bring in an internet licence. 

They did it in Ireland. Well a licence for having a computer. 
it seems they might have decided against it https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/you-may-have-to-buy-a-licence-for-your-laptop-1.3044145

Edited by kris88