Boating oop North

blackrose

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Draw a line north from the Devon  Cornwall border and the whole of England apart from Cornwall is east of this line.

It's obvious you have no idea  that some places in England are further west than Carlisle 🤔

Like a few people on here your just trying to be a smart ar$e. Do what non smart ar$e people do and just use a geographical county roughly in the centre of England, somehere like Leicestershire. 

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

16 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Like a few people on here your just trying to be a smart ar$e. Do what non smart ar$e people do and just use a geographical county roughly in the centre of England, somehere like Leicestershire. 

I was referencing specifically to where I live not some imaginary geographical centre of England.

I think Pedant is a better description.

Oh and by the way Leeds, Durham and Newcastle are all to the North and West of Leicester so why say they are North East?

18 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

I was referencing specifically to where I live not some imaginary geographical centre of England.

I think Pedant is a better description.

Oh and by the way Leeds, Durham and Newcastle are all to the North and West of Leicester so why say they are North East?

I was referencing what the majority of people refer to as areas of England , N-West, S-West, N-East, S-East. I lived in Devon a lot of years and people talked about the geographic areas the same. So what part of England do you live in?

South-West?

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

Why is it such a good question? I went there on Wednesday evening. Google told me it was rebuilt some distance from the original which was demolished in the 1930s I think.

When the Orwell pub building and Trencherfield Mill complex was a museum run by Wigan council many years ago they erected a large notice on the towpath opposite the Orwell pub proclaiming it as the site of “Wigan Pier”.  It was a false claim but a convenient one for their purposes.  Many visitors went home falsely believing that they had seen Wigan Pier.

Famously a certain author called George Orwell spent several days in Wigan looking for a particular Pier he had heard of but returned home without finding it, hence the title of his book.

You are correct, the original was demolished and little trace of it remains.  My question was:- how many people know the location of the original pier as described, joked about, named and coined by George Formby Snr.?  It is after all, part of canal history.

To pinpoint the location of the original site you may have to know why George Formby Snr used it as the butt of his joke when he appeared at Music Halls in Wigan (and elsewhere).

23 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

On the North coast of Devon a few miles East of the Devon Cornwall border.

So Bideford ish area, the Southwest part of England, if generalised. A nice part of the country, have a good weekend and hope your not impacted too much by Storm Antoni👍

B6AF05E1-2B4D-447E-BDC7-883009ACC06B.jpeg.e666467753c1eda4cd9686215228d458.jpeg

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

7 hours ago, Rincewind said:

When the Orwell pub building and Trencherfield Mill complex was a museum run by Wigan council many years ago they erected a large notice on the towpath opposite the Orwell pub proclaiming it as the site of “Wigan Pier”.  It was a false claim but a convenient one for their purposes.  Many visitors went home falsely believing that they had seen Wigan Pier.

Famously a certain author called George Orwell spent several days in Wigan looking for a particular Pier he had heard of but returned home without finding it, hence the title of his book.

You are correct, the original was demolished and little trace of it remains.  My question was:- how many people know the location of the original pier as described, joked about, named and coined by George Formby Snr.?  It is after all, part of canal history.

To pinpoint the location of the original site you may have to know why George Formby Snr used it as the butt of his joke when he appeared at Music Halls in Wigan (and elsewhere).

I, as the L&LC historian, and several Wigan historians, have been discussing this for thirty years or more. The term Wigan Pier comes from a George Formby Senior song which describes a group of Wiganers going to Blackpool. As their train leaves North-Western station, they look out of the carriage and see a pier, just like Blackpool. There are several contenders for the title Wigan Pier, all railway or tramway viaducts. My preferred one is the East Lancs Rly line to Liverpool which crossed the Douglas Valley on a wooden viaduct until around 1890. there were at least three similar viaducts on the ELR which crossed the L&LC. Wigan historians tend to go for one of the iron colliery tramroad viaducts which can also be seen from the LNWR line north of Wigan.

4 hours ago, midnight cowboy said:

There’s a very interesting pub, the Station Hotel, opposite the station.

Which station? 

Which town, in fact?

There can't be more then, oh I dunno, 50 or 60 Station Hotels in the country.

I've found over 20 within 100 miles of Manchester and I haven't even reached Birmingham yet.

I assumed you were on about Wigan. 
It was awhile ago when I went in. 
I liked it. Had a feel of being a proper Station Bar, (while not actually being at the station) Not very big, high ceilings, narrow(ish) if I remember right. Victorian. 
Vague memory. Sat and drank Guinness while waiting for me mate. 
But would definitely seek it out again 👍

That’s the one I’m thinking of. 

Just looked it up. 
Looks like it’s had a proper tidy up since I was in there in 2018(?)

yes, definitely the one I’m thinking of, that bar is how I remember but it’s now poshified. 
it used to have a nice tatty feel to it, 

Edited by Goliath

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

That’s the one I’m thinking of. 

Just looked it up. 
Looks like it’s had a proper tidy up since I was in there in 2018(?)

yes, definitely the one I’m thinking of, that bar is how I remember but it’s now poshified. 
it used to have a nice tatty feel to it, 

Interesting tiling and a nice building, beer selection is pretty good, but not as good as Wigan Central in the railway arches across the road.