Boiler

Shelley1981

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Yes, a bit of a doomsday reply that one☠️☠️ Don’t let him put you off😂

I think OP will soon learn who knows about boats and those who are best put on "ignore"

4 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Hopefully @Tony Brooks will start a new Thread on escape routes and why they are needed when catastrophe occurs and leave this Thread with it’s intended question, so not to disillusion the OP from asking questions and being active👍 

No he won't. It has all been argued over in the past and, I quote, loads of boats have these hatches". Yes, but not so many narrow boats. As you don't want to hear about it, then I will not elaborate. The OP has been warned of a potential danger, that is all, she may already have considered the possibility or it may be a new consideration to her. Whichever it is she can always email me without involving the forum if she wants more information.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No he won't. It has all been argued over in the past and, I quote, loads of boats have these hatches". Yes, but not so many narrow boats. As you don't want to hear about it, then I will not elaborate.

There’s lots of Narrowboats with these wrap around fronts with hatch design, also totally enclosed fronts Southwest Durham did quite a few, they seam popular with new builds also, as they give the option for a larger bedroom. I’m seeing 6x right now completely enclosed front end’s, all with only a side hatch to get out, just like the old Southwest Durham shells. They all passed the BSS and were insured.

I apologise to @Shelley1981 as for adding this.

5 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

There’s lots of Narrowboats with these wrap around fronts with hatch design, also totally enclosed fronts Southwest Durham did quite a few, they seam popular with new builds also, as they give the option for a larger bedroom. I’m seeing 6x right now completely enclosed front end’s, all with only a side hatch to get out, just like the old Southwest Durham shells. They all passed the BSS and were insured.

I apologise to @Shelley1981 as for adding this.

Point 1. I dispute your assertion of "lots" as far as narrowboats are concerned, would you care to produce figures to back up your claim.

Point 2. Many boats like this have a bed under the escape hatch, which is lower and far easier to climb over than what looks like the galley sink.

Sorry OP, but it seems this chap is determined to tell you that you don't need to consider emergency escape. Just muse on what I have said and make your own mind up.

That’s really lovely- how old is she - is the hull wooden?
TBH I would save most of the money you have for the regular maintenance that she will need, especially if the hull is wooden. That would need very regular dry docking and painting . Neglect that and the money you want to spend on the interior is wasted. 

However she may not look like the picture now though?

I wouldn’t try widening the rear hatch, they look neat being narrow and out of place wider. These were by and large quality boats carefully designed aesthetically. 

As Boris said, don't listen to the doomsters and gloomsters. Mind you, not long after said that things got very much worse.

On 27/06/2023 at 00:08, Shelley1981 said:

Wondering if it can be moved to other areas of the boat from the kitchen so I can make my hatch a big bigger. Any advice appreciated 

It's all possible but that sounds like a bad idea to me. If you want to move it that means water and gas plumbing, gas leak testing, a new hole cut into the roof for the flue, the old flue hole sealed up, etc, etc. And for what? The existing hatch looks big enough and enlarging it would be another pain in the arse.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1