Stourport Ring - how's my itinerary?

BentiniThompsoni

Featured Posts

Hello all, my family and I are hiring a boat from Anglo Welsh at Tardebigge for 7 days and I've worked out the following itinerary. I'd be keen to get people's opinions on the feasibility of it and any tips/suggestions for places to visit/eat at along the way.

Day 1 - Tardebigge to Stoke Prior - we should hopefully leave the wharf around 3pm and I'm hoping with four of us aboard we'll be able to make it down the flight and moor near the Queen's Head for the night. Dinner at the pub.

Day 2 - Stoke Prior to Worcester - lunch at The Bridge Inn, Tibberton. Moor below Sidbury Lock. Dinner?

Day 3 - Worcester to Stourport - lunch at Wharf Inn, Holt. Moor above York Street Lock. Dinner at Namaste.

Day 4 - Stourport to Stourbridge Town - lunch at the Vine, Kinver and visit the Rock Houses. Moor at the end of branch in town. Dinner?

Day 5 - Stourbridge Town to Bumblehole - lunch/dinner?

Day 6 - Bumblehole to Galton Bridge - visit Black Country Living Museum, lunch there. Along Old Line to moor near Galton Bridge/Galton Valley Pump. Dinner aboard.

Day 7 - Galton Bridge to Alvechurch - lunch at Bull's Head, King's Norton. Moor in Alvechurch near station. Dinner Red Lion.

Day 8 - Alvechurch to Tardebigge - return boat by 9am.

I look forward to your responses.

24 minutes ago, BentiniThompsoni said:

Yes, I gathered a lot of info from your report, really useful thanks.

Happy to help. Bear in mind that doing that ring in a hireboat week is rewarding but also quite hard work, you need to really like locks and ideally have three people "on the bank" doing them like we did -- this means in a flight one can go ahead to set the next lock, two can do the one you're in, then one can stay behind to close up after the boat has left while the other one walks on. Get this going smoothly in places like Tardebigge and you'll be through in no time... 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

I always find it difficult to get the timings right to arrive at a pub for lunch time. The Staffs & Worcs canal is quite a slow canal and the locks are all individual, not in flights so you may not have time to visit the rock houses. You may not be able to stop for lunch at a pub some days so make sure you have food onboard incase it has to be a quick sandwich while continuing to travel. I’d also load up the boat with a weeks supplies of heavy stuff like beer, wine and bottled water (if you use it). On Day four you may also want to do grocery shopping at Kidderminster as there are two supermarkets right by the canal, which also takes time.  Also, don’t forget that you may have to stop for an hour every day to fill the water tank, especially if the crew like long showers.

In Stourbridge there are two Indian restaurants in lower high street with are easily reached from the canal by walking through the underpass, under the ring road

https://bombaypickles.co.uk

http://www.cellarsindiancuisine.co.uk

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, arbutus said:

I always find it difficult to get the timings right to arrive at a pub for lunch time. The Staffs & Worcs canal is quite a slow canal and the locks are all individual, not in flights so you may not have time to visit the rock houses. You may not be able to stop for lunch at a pub some days so make sure you have food onboard incase it has to be a quick sandwich while continuing to travel. I’d also load up the boat with a weeks supplies of heavy stuff like beer, wine and bottled water (if you use it). On Day four you may also want to do grocery shopping at Kidderminster as there are two supermarkets right by the canal, which also takes time.  Also, don’t forget that you may have to stop for an hour every day to fill the water tank, especially if the crew like long showers.

In Stourbridge there are two Indian restaurants in lower high street with are easily reached from the canal by walking through the underpass, under the ring road

https://bombaypickles.co.uk

http://www.cellarsindiancuisine.co.uk

We certainly didn't stop for lunch most days, the only real exception was the lunchtime walk up to the Bull and Bladder (the Vine) which is *highly* recommended... 🙂

Also didn't find it necessary to stop for water every day, every other day was fine for us, and it never took as long as an hour. Plenty of beer/wine/water (if you use it) on board is certainly a good idea.

Mooring at Stourbridge can be awkward. Bombay Pickles is where we went and it was good, as was the Duke William afterwards 🙂

Seven days around the Stourport ring and a visit to a couple of places is definitely feasible but I think the itinerary will need a few tweaks.

Stouport to Stourbridge plus a visit to Kinver rock houses is a long day as is Bumblehole to Galton via a visit to the BCLM which for most folk is a whole day out in its own right.

Also note Smethwick locks are currently out of action.

The first part day is feasible if you get away quickly but you will need to book the Queens Head as it’s very popular. You’ll need to allow about five hours to get there. However if you’re a bit behind you could moor five locks up the flight and walk down.

Second and third days are pretty leisurely and you may find you’re arriving places ahead of schedule so perhaps be flexible with your stops. You could lock down onto the Severn and moor on the river in Worcester although I think there’s a charge. You might make it to Wolverley for the third night and visit the Lock Inn. Ideally don’t moor in Kidderminster.

Stourport to Kinver is a long run for a morning unless you’re away early and may be scuppered if you have to queue at locks. Start at Wolverley and you’ll be fine.

It may be best not to plan moving both sides of the BCLM visit. Maybe either get to Tipton, visit the BCLM and stay there for the night or get there the day before and then move on afterward. Although to where is questionable since there’s nowhere particularly good to moor between Tipton and Birmingham.

You could make Alvechurch in one day from Tipton. Where is the Red Lion, is it the Vintage Inns place in the middle of the village? That’s a good walk from the canal. My personal choice is the Weighbridge in the ABC boatyard. It’s good beer and basic home cooked fare, my kids are not so fond.

Alvechurch to Tardebigge is one hour’s cruise (actually less to the Anglo-Welsh base) and arguably the nicest part of the Worcester and Birmingham.

Your back up plan for the last night would be Hopwood.

Edited by Captain Pegg

19 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Also note Smethwick locks are currently out of action

They’re ok now

or were last weekend

19 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

may be best not to plan moving both sides of the BCLM visit. Maybe either get to Tipton, visit the BCLM and stay there for the night or get there the day before and then move on afterward. Although to where is questionable since there’s nowhere particularly good to moor between Tipton and Birmingham.

I’d agree, the museum will take half a day at least to have a good look around.

Take a relaxed steady 4 hours from there straight into Brum or include the loops and take a bit longer, enjoy and have fun. 

Tipton to Alvechurch is 8 hrs.

Just done it. 

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

If you want to spend more time at the BCLM you can shave a little time off the trip by going via Droitwich rather than Worcester.

Seconded.

We did a similar route in 2019 - down from Penkridge to Stourport, down the Severn, across the Droitwich and up Tardebigge (moored 5 locks up and walked back down to the Queen's Head), up into Birmingham, across to the BCLM, then down the 21 and back to Penkridge. This was with two adults and two children who were 8 and 10 at the time. This included half a day at BCLM, a trip to Cadbury World (wouldn't bother without small children - not like it was 25yrs ago) and a trip to the art gallery in Wolverhampton which is very good (and free). Slightly different route from what you are planning but a similar distance. We did not stop for lunch very much if at all but would have had time to do so if we hadn't wanted to fit in the visits.

One thing to bear in mind, the Severn can occasionally become impassably high and fast flowing at any time of year so I would have a back-up plan in mind (I had a summer holiday route affected by it one August). It's a good idea to do the ring the way round you are planning to get past the Severn if the weather is with you, but if not you could reverse it if the weather is forecast to be improving, or to consider where else you might want to go if there is no chance of going that way. Lots of options there, depending on your preferences.

Alec

5 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

You could make Alvechurch in one day from Tipton. Where is the Red Lion, is it the Vintage Inns place in the middle of the village? That’s a good walk from the canal. My personal choice is the Weighbridge in the ABC boatyard. It’s good beer and basic home cooked fare, my kids are not so fond.

Yes the Red Lion is about a 15 minute walk through the village from the canal. The Weighbridge has certainly come highly recommended on here, but alas the kitchen is closed on a Monday when we'll be there.

Coming out of Diglis Basin onto the Severn and heading upstream would people recommend going down to the lock approach/old oil basin to turn around rather than risk getting drawn towards the weir? I read someone suggested going in/coming out the lock backwards which doesn't really appeal.

Edited by BentiniThompsoni
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, BentiniThompsoni said:

Yes the Red Lion is about a 15 minute walk through the village from the canal. The Weighbridge has certainly come highly recommended on here, but alas the kitchen is closed on a Monday when we'll be there.

Coming out of Diglis Basin onto the Severn and heading upstream would people recommend going down to the lock approach/old oil basin to turn around rather than risk getting drawn towards the weir? I read someone suggested going in/coming out the lock backwards which doesn't really appeal.

You could always order a takeaway from the local Chinese or indian and have it delivered to you if your short of time. The walk down is fine going. Uphill with a full stomach of food and beverage can be a bit longer. We once just went for a drink which ended into a session called at the Chinese for a takeaway asked about delivery to the boat, was only £1 or so extra. The owner of the Chinese also did the delivery in his own car in them day's. Asked if we could jump in with him back to the boat. Answer yes, result. Well I'm am from Yorkshire 😁😁

8 hours ago, BentiniThompsoni said:

Coming out of Diglis depends on whether you have crew to pick up and what the river flow is like.  The pick up to get crew on board is downstream so if you come out of the lock on to the jetty to collect crew then it can be easier and safer to head towards the oil basin and turn in the lock cutting.  If you don't have to stop to pick up crew and there isn't much flow (or rowers in the way) then you would be fine coming out and turning upstream from the lock.

10 hours ago, BentiniThompsoni said:

For a bit of interest I always walk via the church. Seems/feels a shade quicker and takes you away from the road. 

Assuming you’ll moored by the Weighbridge I think it’d be worth you sneaking in for a quick pint. 

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

For a bit of interest I always walk via the church. Seems/feels a shade quicker and takes you away from the road. 

Assuming you’ll moored by the Weighbridge I think it’d be worth you sneaking in for a quick pint. 

As a kid that was our Friday night, walk from the Weighbridge down to the chip shop and back to the church, sitting in the grave yard to eat our chips.

23 hours ago, BentiniThompsoni said:

Day 6 - Bumblehole to Galton Bridge - visit Black Country Living Museum, lunch there. Along Old Line to moor near Galton Bridge/Galton Valley Pump. Dinner aboard.

here’s an idea,

how about Bumble Hole to Black Country Museum. 2 1/2 hr (ish) via Factory locks. 
Or take an extra hour or so by going round and up to the Old Line via Brades locks for the fun of it. 

Visit the Museum at a leisurely pace and stay over night on some pleasant and safe moorings. Toilets and showers there (showers on the chilly side mind). 
I think a boat trip into the tunnel would be good value. They got electric boats doing trips. A trip I keep meaning to do. 
People seem to like Mad O’Rourke’s Pie Factory at Tipton, which is perhaps a  20min walk away from the Museum. Dunno, might be 10min, can’t remember. 
I like O’Rourke’s for the beer but I imagine it’s a great place to feed a family. 

As has been said you’ll make Alvechurch in a day. 
Museum to Brum is 4hrs without rushing and then same again to Alvechurch with out rushing. 

But you miss out on visiting Brum. 

The only place I can think you can visit while at Bumble hole is the Swan at Netherton. 20min walk through park. 
There is a chippy maybe 20 min walking distance the other way if you want a night on boat. 

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

here’s an idea,

how about Bumble Hole to Black Country Museum. 2 1/2 hr (ish) via Factory locks. 
Or take an extra hour or so by going round and up to the Old Line via Brades locks for the fun of it. 

Visit the Museum at a leisurely pace and stay over night on some pleasant and safe moorings. Toilets and showers there (showers on the chilly side mind). 
I think a boat trip into the tunnel would be good value. They got electric boats doing trips. A trip I keep meaning to do. 
People seem to like Mad O’Rourke’s Pie Factory at Tipton, which is perhaps a  20min walk away from the Museum. Dunno, might be 10min, can’t remember. 
I like O’Rourke’s for the beer but I imagine it’s a great place to feed a family. 

Museum to Brum is 4hrs without rushing and then same again to Alvechurch with out rushing. 

The only place I can think you can visit while at Bumble hole is the Swan at Netherton. 20min walk through park. 
There is a chippy maybe 20 min walking distance the other way if you want a night on boat. 

If you want to spend an evening in the Old Swan (Ma Pardoe's) then the Withymoor Island Trust is the best place to moor.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

We live in Birmingham, so stopping in the centre might not be all that much of a thrill :) . We might just visit the BCLM another day as it's not far from home.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

here’s an idea,

Have you ever gauged Goliath for the tunnel?

I’d be happy to arrange another trip through the tunnel with Vulpes for selected guests.

I do fancy taking Oates through the tunnel at some point. I'm sure it will fit, although I haven't officially tried it yet. It doesn't seem to be particularly easy to book for it at the moment.

Alec