Realistic and Brutal Honesty Needed For Disabled Potential Boater

rooslootoo

Featured Posts

What is the bare minimum to strip out and fit out a 30 feet boat and or fixing damp inside?

a) Strip out and Basic Fitout with no furniture or appliances or electrics just inside all done and sealed with wood or whatever materials are cheaper?

b) All of the above with a fitted Toilet of any type

1) composting

2) caseate

3) fitted with a tank and or a shower 

c) I have found off grid electrical and or charger wind/solar is possible but if there are any options please feel free to express an opinion but I may be able to do it modularly if you agree/disagree please start a conversation probably fitted under a double bed compartment at one end and maybe under side box/seating on either side of boat internally.

d) All of the above would be around what I would call complete, a fridge LPG/Electrical, a kettle, a microwave, I would consider luxury and would be fitted last also a laptop, a printer a tablet, a phone I suppose I can charge a battery for most of it and charge/use one device at a time until I have larger battery. Ironically the internet is the easy part.

Any other suggestions I have a Tablet Projector which runs off a battery for over a 24 hour period and 6-8 hours on it's own for entertainment.

So does the plug in one device at a time sound feasible and I have the available power cable/plug

If I were able to fit electrical system internally with standard plugs and USB chargers I have proper electrical cable, any pointers and help?

So whats the bare minimum cost of all the options and or any suggestions?

And for the record I have a severe learning disability

Is continuous cruising still a thing

and what are yearly costs and or anything you must do to operate a narrowboat on British Waterways

It needs an engine but is water tight and they said at very least it needs stripped and fitted out and maybe sand blasted

38515_2_1600.jpg

38515_4_1600.jpg

38515_283075_1600.jpg

38515_283081_1600.jpg

38515_283078_1600.jpg

38515_283079_1600.jpg

38515_3_1600.jpg

38515_283070_1600.jpg

38515_283071_1600.jpg

38515_283072_1600.jpg

38515_283074_1600.jpg

Edited by rooslootoo

For the electrical needs you have listed I doubt you would have enough roof space for enough solar, running anything Mains powered will require an inverter, these have their own losses (a good one might only lose 10% of the power through it) and also hammer batteries due to the high current use, powering a 1kw item through an inverter will be pulling around 100A from the batteries.

You will find that most people on here / on boats rely on running the engine to do the bulk of their charging with solar allowing them a few days of not running at a time, yes there are some 100% electric and solar boat owners on here but they tend to be long widebeam boats with 6-8 times the roof area that you would have with a 30 foot narrow beam boat, they also tend to be running more expensive lithium battery setups which are more tolerant of the usage than the more usual lead acid (car battery) type.

You really don't want a project boat as there are too many requirements to meet regulations and practicalities. It costs a lot of money to do things .

So a good second hand boat might be the thing.

I would suggest an ex hire boat but you need a solid fuel stove if you want to survive winter. 

Are you claiming benefits because they might be difficult to claim if Continuous Cruise but they might possibly be available if you are in certain marinas. You need advice on this nothing is certain. There is no security of tenure they can just tell you to leave

A Residential berth in a marina or Residential mooring with shore power is much more practical.

They are rarely available as far as I am aware.

Composting toilets are no use unless you have house with garden and a car and are a gardener.

Cassettes need emptying often.

Living off grid is very difficult as is CC I think it is a non starter, sorry.

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

For the electrical needs you have listed I doubt you would have enough roof space for enough solar, running anything Mains powered will require an inverter, these have their own losses (a good one might only lose 10% of the power through it) and also hammer batteries due to the high current use, powering a 1kw item through an inverter will be pulling around 100A from the batteries.

You will find that most people on here / on boats rely on running the engine to do the bulk of their charging with solar allowing them a few days of not running at a time, yes there are some 100% electric and solar boat owners on here but they tend to be long widebeam boats with 6-8 times the roof area that you would have with a 30 foot narrow beam boat, they also tend to be running more expensive lithium battery setups which are more tolerant of the usage than the more usual lead acid (car battery) type.

I hadn't thought of that, thx so a engine plus a battery and an inverter/charger, I don't need 100% of time as I would be moving the boat most the time unless parked to enjoy the sun or winter just enough to run a 130 watt laptop and possibly a portable freezer? I had planned on the lithium ones as they are better overall, thank you for your input....

45 minutes ago, rooslootoo said:

What is the bare minimum to strip out and fit out a 30 feet boat and or fixing damp inside?

a) Strip out and Basic Fitout with no furniture or appliances or electrics just inside all done and sealed with wood or whatever materials are cheaper?

b) All of the above with a fitted Toilet of any type

1) composting

2) caseate

3) fitted with a tank and or a shower 

c) I have found off grid electrical and or charger wind/solar is possible but if there are any options please feel free to express an opinion but I may be able to do it modularly if you agree/disagree please start a conversation probably fitted under a double bed compartment at one end and maybe under side box/seating on either side of boat internally.

d) All of the above would be around what I would call complete, a fridge LPG/Electrical, a kettle, a microwave, I would consider luxury and would be fitted last also a laptop, a printer a tablet, a phone I suppose I can charge a battery for most of it and charge/use one device at a time until I have larger battery. Ironically the internet is the easy part.

Any other suggestions I have a Tablet Projector which runs off a battery for over a 24 hour period and 6-8 hours on it's own for entertainment.

So does the plug in one device at a time sound feasible and I have the available power cable/plug

If I were able to fit electrical system internally with standard plugs and USB chargers I have proper electrical cable, any pointers and help?

So whats the bare minimum cost of all the options and or any suggestions?

And for the record I have a severe learning disability

Is continuous cruising still a thing

and what are yearly costs and or anything you must do to operate a narrowboat on British Waterways

To take your last question first, have a read of this website.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licence-your-boat

As for costs, your question is far to wide, to get a reasonable simple answer, firstly who would be doing the work, yourself or a professional?

The difference could be £10,000+

As has been suggested buying a ready to go 2nd hand boat would be a lot quicker, and possibly cheaper.

A concern worth considering is how well do you cope with change, on a daily basis?  Inc crisis management.

Bod

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You really don't want a project boat as there are too many requirements to meet regulations and practicalities. It costs a lot of money to do things .

So a good second hand boat might be the thing.

I would suggest an ex hire boat but you need a solid fuel stove if you want to survive winter. 

Are you claiming benefits because they might be difficult to claim if Continuous Cruise but they might possibly be available if you are in certain marinas. You need advice on this nothing is certain. There is no security of tenure they can just tell you to leave

A Residential berth in a marina or Residential mooring with shore power is much more practical.

They are rarely available as far as I am aware.

Composting toilets are no use unless you have house with garden and a car and are a gardener.

Cassettes need emptying often.

Living off grid is very difficult as is CC I think it is a non starter, sorry.

I agree, but getting a 2ndhand boat is prohibitively exspencive as I can only find parts of/ shared ownership and not a complete boat, also the one I want is parked in a dry berth an I'm told I can work on it no problem, at least it is water tight and the only thing I cant do is sand blasting on-site as they haven't one, just a note what is this for anyway? Main thing is to strip out and basic fit out and an engine which may be cheaper then having an off-grid electric system

So, you have a boat in mind i guess. What are your skills regarding electric systems, plumbing, wiring, carpentry. Fitting out a boat takes ages, you have many regulations to follow as to what you can and cant do and it will cost you more than buying a boat ready to use. Why do you want a boat? Passion for life on the water or looking for a cheap flat? Tell us some details of this boat, you may get better advice. Most people on here will tell you to budget about 5k per year unless something serious goes wrong, some years more, some less. You will have a massive amount of things to learn about so that may be a problem for you. 

48 minutes ago, rooslootoo said:

I don't need 100% of time as I would be moving the boat most the time unless parked to enjoy the sun or winter just enough to run a 130 watt laptop and possibly a portable freezer?

Just a peripheral comment. You write as though you regard these two items as trivial power consumption. They are not. A 'portable freezer' especially will suck loads of power from your batteries and quite possibly kill them unless you design your charging system with great care to be big enough to cope. 

Edited by MtB

Brutally honest reply.  Don't even consider doing up an old boat. Too many pitfalls and it will cost you double what you could buy a decent usable boat for even if you did all the work yourself. 30 ft is too small to live on, you cannot get enough solar on the roof to supply a meaningful amount of electricity. You have no idea what is involved power wise to live off grid, research much more.

British Waterways no longer exists, its The Canal & River Trust now.

The thing about buying a boat that needs restoration is the initial cost, which maybe is affordable. Even though the complete cost of restoration may exceed the cost of a similar boat in better condition at the outset, the cost of restoration can be stretched out to allow for funds to do it in stages over time. More expensive, but a boat in the hand, nevertheless. Just need to keep the motivation going, to stop it turning into a mill stone. 

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

Draw a plan. It's quite simple, you've got an empty tin box, 30 foot long  six foot wide and six foot high. It needs wood for battens, thick insulation, wood to cover the insulation. Thousands of screws. Plastic pipe for plumbing. A cooker, a fridge. Bed. Wire, lights.

Draw it out, even make a model, then cost it up on the internet. It's a small fortune! So is fixing up an engine.

I did mine like that 30 years ago and it was feasible then, but prices for everything have through the roof gone, and it's very hard work, and every mistake means more time and cost - I made my bed three inches short, thought I could cope, couldn't, and had to dismantle walls, bulkhead and roof to put it right.

And it's impossible to do it while living on it.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Draw a plan. It's quite simple, you've got an empty tin box, 30 foot long  six foot wide and six foot high. It needs wood for battens, thick insulation, wood to cover the insulation. Thousands of screws. Plastic pipe for plumbing. A cooker, a fridge. Bed. Wire, lights.

Draw it out, even make a model, then cost it up on the internet. It's a small fortune! So is fixing up an engine.

I did mine like that 30 years ago and it was feasible then, but prices for everything have through the roof gone, and it's very hard work, and every mistake means more time and cost - I made my bed three inches short, thought I could cope, couldn't, and had to dismantle walls, bulkhead and roof to put it right.

short bed, a good sofa works, but thank you

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

best I could do with basic one, I found another as previous one is .5 feet to long perhaps this will help all of you to help me better... I will add to main post...

blo.jpg

You need a lot of skills, woodwork. plumbing, mechanical etc. and a lot of tools for each skill. You really need electricity for power tools otherwise the work is just too hard except for the most determined. You need a car with a roof rack to get the materials to the boat, you need a lot of plywood so find out what 1 sheet costs then have a think what a boat costs. It is expensive no matter how careful you are. Others have mentioned regulations, you must follow these or you will run into all sorts of problems and even the experienced fall foul of these. Many people think that living on a boat is relatively stress free, it can be but if you are being harassed by CRT because you are working on a boat on the towpath or cannot get a licence because your boat does not comply or 101 other aggravations that can happen it is the most stressful and worrying way of life imaginable unless you are immune from anxiety. I would put this plan on the back burner for a while. As for putting a price on your plan I would reckon it might just be possible to do it at the most basic level for £25,000 but you can very easily spend that amount and end up with a poor hull and a big heap of offcuts that you would be lucky to sell for half that. Sorry to be so bleak, keep looking and you will at least learn a lot and just maybe an opportunity will open up. Good Luck

10 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Might help if you tell us what your budget is, someone may know of something suitable.

well it would be a work in progress I got nearly enough to purchase and same again to get it to basic lined then it would be piecemeal till it has engine and batteries 4000£ or near enough but I do have a lot of disposable income due to diet

I added pictures if this helps and they say I can work on where it is

£557.23 every three months but I may be able to pay weekly

Ah, so it exists and has a usable interior, in that case you need to repair and replace whatever is needed and fit a stove and sort out the leaky windows. It does not need a whole refit. 

Just now, Bee said:

Ah, so it exists and has a usable interior, in that case you need to repair and replace whatever is needed and fit a stove and sort out the leaky windows. It does not need a whole refit. 

really?? so I'm not buying or wanting to buy another piece of excrement, any suggestion on what and how to and anything else would be great.....

it does need an engine for obvious reasons and some sort of charger with batteries and the rest as and when, but how do I make it look nicer and should I get it looked at like some sort of survey, any suggestions welcomed, I'm not looking to build a palace more functional/utilitarian then save up the 1000£ extra or so and move it to main network...

You will need a Hull Survey at the very least.

This should tell you the state of the underwater steel, and if you ask the surveyor, an idea of any repair costs. (Full over plating could be £10-15,000)

Bod

A survey, if its out of the water already, will cost you £500.  If its in the water, double as it will have to come out.

How old? How pitted? What make?    Come on, help us out here with some details, at present its like pulling teeth getting you to tell us anything concrete.

What engine will it take? What was in it before? Is there a propeller?

Edited by Tracy D'arth

You know as much as I do, 

Overview
Barge Narrowboat
30'0"
Swale
£1,950
0.00m

re

Remarks

1982 Narrowboat steel

Steel Narrow Boat
This Narrow Boat is a marina repossession being sold as seen via sealed bids above the guide price. Closing date for all sealed bids to be received by Network Yachts Brokers at 12:00 UTC 1st April 2023. The specification of this boat may be incorrect, as we are not in possession of the full details. the auction failed to get any buyers

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A survey, if its out of the water already, will cost you £500.  If its in the water, double as it will have to come out.

How old? How pitted? What make?    Come on, help us out here with some details, at present its like pulling teeth getting you to tell us anything concrete.

I already stated it has no engine

22 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There's some pictures at https://www.networkyachtbrokerskent.co.uk/boats_for_sale/Barge_Narrowboat-38515.html/

1982 build. Out of the water. Very rusty below the water line. Has a swim of sorts at the stern, but doesn't look to have a stern tube, so has presumably never had an engine fitted.