What might this mean? Inverter issue

wandering

Featured Posts

Hi. I am plugged in at a Marina after some engine troubles. My inverter charger has been switched from standby to charge. 

I noticed this morning that the LED was flashing. Have attached image. What could explain this? It was flashing when I was in float well. When I flip the switch to standby the flashing stops but I am not longer relying on shore power despite being plugged in.  My batteries are used instead. Confused here. Any help welcome

4BA57D27-4CB2-45D9-904E-D2D2ADBF5A07.jpeg

Apologies. I mean the one attached on the wall on the left. The light which says input level is flashing orange ish which I think means over or undercharging. Not sure what happened. Was fine yesterday when I plugged in. 

Edited by wandering

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think it means that the batteries are going flat but I don't have the instruction book.

I came here to charge the batts as I couldn’t with my engine trouble. The batteries are taking a charge and seem to be near 100%. Just bought these 3 110amp leisures. 

Inverter had now entered float mode but light flashing persists. I notice the light go from orange to orangey green when the fridge turned itself on 

The more I plug in the more green the light goes I think? I have turned it off since I am not actually in need of the help inverter but I can’t stop thinking it’s telling something important

Inverters do not have a float mode, chargers do. You are confusing.

How do you know the batteries are "near 100%" ?

Could it be an overvoltage light because the charger is on? You have a 240v AC fridge? The load of that is loading the inverter and reducing the input voltage slightly?

Read the blasted instructions!!!!

I have read the manual but I don’t know what it means. 

So orange blink. DC 12V. 

I imagine it’s got too much going in as in shoreline but I dunno. Why is it going more green the more things I turn on…

6F10F946-5E88-4FED-8DA1-6C7E3296332D.jpeg

I turned it off for ten mins and both lights are green now 

The instructions are quite clear.

The state of that LED shows the voltage that is going into the inverter. The normal bulk charging voltage from the battery charger will be 14.0 to 14.8v to charge open cell lead acid batteries which I assume you have.

Therefore whilst the battery charger is actively charging the LED will blink orange. As the voltage falls due to power being taken from the inverter or the charger reverting to the lower float voltage because the batteries are nearly fully charged it will got to  green. 

Its working as it should.

You could of determined that by reading.......

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Flashing orange indicates the input voltage is a bit too high, which would be consistent with the batteries being fully charged with the charger connected. Switching the fridge on pulls the battery voltage down resulting in a green light.

It didn’t do this when I was in the Marina but then I had the old batts?? Should I do anything? 

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The instructions are quite clear.

The state of that LED shows the voltage that is going into the inverter. The normal bulk charging voltage from the battery charger will be 14.0 to 14.8v to charche open cell lead acid batteries which I assume you have.

Therefore whilst the battery charger is actively charging the LED will blink orange. As the voltage falls due to power being taken from the inverter or the charger reverting to the lower float voltage because the batteries are nearly fully charged it will got to  green. 

Its working as it should.

You could of determined that by reading.......

I know I’m sorry. I actually have a learning difficulty that makes numbers seem like Chinese symbols to me which is strange since I am quite adept at language 

Edited by wandering

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Are the new batteries and the old batteries the same type...,?

The new batteries are different to the old ones in terms of brand but they are three new 110ah batteries which is what I replaced. These however are,  god I can’t remember the word he used, but these batteries I put in have more cycles of charge than may be standard,  I believe.

the old are dual marine  multicell and the new ones are Leoch AGM

Edited by wandering

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Bottom line is that the flashing orange on the inverter is to be expected when the batteries are being charged and approaching fully charged. Nothing to be concerned about. Although it is a slightly odd design concept!

Very strange design lol thanks for the reassurance 

40 minutes ago, wandering said:

The new batteries are different to the old ones in terms of brand but they are three new 110ah batteries which is what I replaced. These however are,  god I can’t remember the word he used, but these batteries I put in have more cycles of charge than may be standard,  I believe.

the old are dual marine  multicell and the new ones are Leoch AGM

I think you need to alter the charging voltages on the charger to match Advanced Glass Mat batteries which are not open lead acid  like you had before.

Read the charger instruction book about charging different types of battery.

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think you need to alter the charging voltages on the charger to match Advanced Glass Mat batteries which are not open lead acid  like you had before.

Read the charger instruction book about charging different types of battery.

Will do. 

40 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Bottom line is that the flashing orange on the inverter is to be expected when the batteries are being charged and approaching fully charged. Nothing to be concerned about. Although it is a slightly odd design concept!

So it’ll go back to a normal green light eventually?

1 minute ago, wandering said:

So it’ll go back to a normal green light eventually?

You need to change the charging profile as you now have batteries with different 'internals' 

AGM need different cgarging voltages to 'standard' (FLA) batteries,

Once you have correctly programmed the battery charger to the correct settings you should find that the flashing lights sort themselves out.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You need to change the charging profile as you now have batteries with different 'internals' 

Once you have correctly programmed the battery charger to the correct settings you should find that the flashing lights sort themselves out.

How does one correctly programme that Victron battery charger?

5 minutes ago, wandering said:

With great difficulty if you do not understand the manual, so choose RTM, pay someone with the expertise you need, or appeal, with your locations, for a member who is willing to visit and do it for you. The instructions will be in the manual.

• Horror 1

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

With great difficulty if you do not understand the manual, so choose RTM, pay someone with the expertise you need, or appeal, with your locations, for a member who is willing to visit and do it for you. The instructions will be in the manual.

RTM?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not all AGM batteries are equal.

I have the Leoch AGM on here and was told by Leoch that  Absorption should be 14.1v to 14.6V and float 13.5v- 13.8v.

Much the same as lead acid batteries unless of course you know different!

1 hour ago, wandering said:

There is an interface needed to do it easily.

Then its just done with a phone/tablet/computer.

It can be done on the switches but to be honest the standard settings are not that far out and its easy to make a mistake using the switches.

See manual attached.

Phoenix-Charger.pdf

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Or more usually RTFM.

More like RTFMY (read the fkin manual, yesterday)

10 hours ago, Loddon said:

Not all AGM batteries are equal.

I have the Leoch AGM on here and was told by Leoch that  Absorption should be 14.1v to 14.6V and float 13.5v- 13.8v.

Much the same as lead acid batteries unless of course you know different!

There is an interface needed to do it easily.

Then its just done with a phone/tablet/computer.

It can be done on the switches but to be honest the standard settings are not that far out and its easy to make a mistake using the switches.

See manual attached.

Phoenix-Charger.pdf 1.73 MB · 1 download

Thanks for this. It went to 14.2 after I plugged it in for the first time using shore line with new batteries. Not seen it go that high yet with just the engine running.