Rochdale Sowerby Br <-> Manchester, Late Apr, early May ... will it be do-able?

Simon Pooley

Featured Posts

…is the answer I was hoping for. However to complete it, and help persuade SWMBO, can you confirm that all locks, ponds, teenagers, tramps and thieves…well maybe not them… behave as nature and boaters would like?

Just now, David Mack said:

The mooring by the aqueduct just before the Rose of Lancaster is quite a delightful place.

Surprised as I am I'll take your word for it. Also if the Boat and Horses is the pub for the adjacent Travelodge then the Rose of Lancaster may win out.

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

And the Rose of Lancaster is the most delightful of places??

We've had no trouble outside the Boat, but one boat reported having a couple of stones thrown. I have heard of a boat getting untied at the Rose, its all urban/.semi urban so there is always a small risk.

A few boats stop in the Failsworth Pound on the offside outside the all-night taxi office. A boat recently stopped on the towpath side outside Tesco and had a window smashed. Unless its raining there are usually people on the patio outside the Boat which makes it feel fairly safe.

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Surprised as I am I'll take your word for it. Also if the Boat and Horses is the pub for the adjacent Travelodge then the Rose of Lancaster may win out.

Its a big modern busy urban eating type pub, sometimes with a bit of music, and is the eating part of the Travelodge. Its a place to stop but certainly not a top canalside pub. Sowerby Bridge, Hebden and Todmorden will be the places to get a beer. There is a canalside bar in New Islington Marina with decent but expensive beer. 

10 minutes ago, droshky said:

…is the answer I was hoping for. However to complete it, and help persuade SWMBO, can you confirm that all locks, ponds, teenagers, tramps and thieves…well maybe not them… behave as nature and boaters would like?

Even in the thick of Newton Heath most locals will be friendly and might even give a bit of help with the locks, like everywhere there a few bad lads (and a few bad adults) who generate the bad reputation.

41 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Waders is probably a good idea. I didn't realise there were moorings beyond the Rose of Lancaster and it looks a more suitable site.

So, the 18 starts at lock 66 then, meaning there's only 16 to get to New Islington??

Assuming I can get a secure short term mooring at New Islington I'll likely leave the boat there having spent Monday to Friday getting from Sowerby Bridge to Manchester.

I don't think 66 counts as part of the 18, but then if you stop at New Islington you miss two more locks between there and the top of the 9 and not sure if these count either. One of us needs to get the book out and count some locks. 😀.

New Islington wanted £25 per night last time we were there. Its not secure as its mostly open to the public, but is reasonable safe. Its really a residential place but boats sort of squash into the first bit, probably by breasting up.

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

We've had no trouble outside the Boat, but one boat reported having a couple of stones thrown. I have heard of a boat getting untied at the Rose, its all urban/.semi urban so there is always a small risk.

A few boats stop in the Failsworth Pound on the offside outside the all-night taxi office. A boat recently stopped on the towpath side outside Tesco and had a window smashed. Unless its raining there are usually people on the patio outside the Boat which makes it feel fairly safe.

Its a big modern busy urban eating type pub, sometimes with a bit of music, and is the eating part of the Travelodge. Its a place to stop but certainly not a top canalside pub. Sowerby Bridge, Hebden and Todmorden will be the places to get a beer. There is a canalside bar in New Islington Marina with decent but expensive beer. 

Even in the thick of Newton Heath most locals will be friendly and might even give a bit of help with the locks, like everywhere there a few bad lads (and a few bad adults) who generate the bad reputation.

Newton Heath? Good Lord man, we’re not going over the top…even if  our no. 2 son is a United supporter! No I just meant what’s it like up towards the summit, with particular attention to

1. us part timers who abandon our craft for weeks (2 of em) on end and

2. Reliability of lock, etc hardware.

Scallywaggery is, I’d guess, less of an issue up there, though of course always with us

22 minutes ago, droshky said:

Newton Heath? Good Lord man, we’re not going over the top…even if  our no. 2 son is a United supporter! No I just meant what’s it like up towards the summit, with particular attention to

1. us part timers who abandon our craft for weeks (2 of em) on end and

2. Reliability of lock, etc hardware.

Scallywaggery is, I’d guess, less of an issue up there, though of course always with us

oooh  did some of my replies get mixed up?

Yes, Newton Heath has two claims to fame, one is upsetting boaters and the other is something to do with football 😀.

Its pretty safe to leave a boat anywhere on the Yorkshire side, assuming you can get in to the side . Lots of shortish pounds so allow for level changes. "Mooring wheels" are a good idea, the Rochdale has a wash wall built of stones which is a bit uneven and has a gentle slope so its easy to get hooked up as the level falls.

There are a lot of locks and all getting on a bit now so I suppose statistically there is an increased risk of failures, but in general the Yorkshire side is good. Running out of summit water is the biggest risk but there should be warning of this, and lower down there are several other feeds.

Some paddle gear can be stiff so a longer windlass can be handy.

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

oooh  did some of my replies get mixed up?

Yes, Newton Heath has two claims to fame, one is upsetting boaters and the other is something to do with football 😀.

Its pretty safe to leave a boat anywhere on the Yorkshire side, assuming you can get in to the side . Lots of shortish pounds so allow for level changes. "Mooring wheels" are a good idea, the Rochdale has a wash wall built of stones which is a bit uneven and has a gentle slope so its easy to get hooked up as the level falls.

There are a lot of locks and all getting on a bit now so I suppose statistically there is an increased risk of failures, but in general the Yorkshire side is good. Running out of summit water is the biggest risk but there should be warning of this, and lower down there are several other feeds.

Some paddle gear can be stiff so a longer windlass can be handy.

Thanks dmr, again, the kind of sensible reply I was hoping for. Dunno how far we’ll get, let’s get into Standedge first (after 8 months and 2 optimistic climbs) and on down (what could possibly go wrong?) then we’ll plan a little further ahead.  Cheers

Thank you again for all the comments, opinion and local knowledge.

We haven't been put off, and - after a long chat with Nigel@Shire this morning - I have booked Worcester for 11 nights from the end of Apr.

I think I might invest in a cheap foldable pruning saw to take along, ready to attack any accumulations of rags & plastic we may find down the weed hatch.

7 minutes ago, Simon Pooley said:

Thank you again for all the comments, opinion and local knowledge.

We haven't been put off, and - after a long chat with Nigel@Shire this morning - I have booked Worcester for 11 nights from the end of Apr.

I think I might invest in a cheap foldable pruning saw to take along, ready to attack any accumulations of rags & plastic we may find down the weed hatch.

Nigel is very helpful, and will give you good advice on what you can realistically do 🙂

We always take a saw like that too. I would also suggest some heavy-duty wire cutters in case you encounter anything the saw can't deal with. You could also take some extra-long rubber gloves... 😉

A small bright waterproof torch with a lanyard can be handy too, using the light on a phone as many do today is contra-indicated over a weed-hatch...

After all the discussion which way are you going, Rochdale or HNC or both? You could do the ring in 11 days (we did it in 10) but it's pretty hard work (if you like that kind of thing) and if you get any unexpected delays -- for example missing your Standedge passage -- you could be screwed. If you do go for this (which I'm not advising unless you're really confident!), go clockwise so you get to Standedge early enough to be able to turn round and get back if it all goes pear-shaped -- I'm sure Nigel would have told you this anyway, probably immediately before saying "But I wouldn't do that if I were you"... 😉

Whatever you do have a great time, they're both lovely canals -- admittedly with some grotty bits at the bottom of the West ends, especially the Rochdale, but some would say this is part of their charm. At least, until you get a mattress round the prop... 😞

Edited by IanD

14 hours ago, dmr said:

I don't think 66 counts as part of the 18, but then if you stop at New Islington you miss two more locks between there and the top of the 9 and not sure if these count either. One of us needs to get the book out and count some locks. 😀.

New Islington wanted £25 per night last time we were there. Its not secure as its mostly open to the public, but is reasonable safe. Its really a residential place but boats sort of squash into the first bit, probably by breasting up.

Thanks for the info. I did wonder about New Islington, it doesn't look like your average marina. I may then need to plan a further day on that leg of the trip with the option of completing the Rochdale 9 through Manchester on the same day before heading for Preston Brook or somewhere out that way. Need to look at the details for the Bridgewater licence.

8 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Thanks for the info. I did wonder about New Islington, it doesn't look like your average marina. I may then need to plan a further day on that leg of the trip with the option of completing the Rochdale 9 through Manchester on the same day before heading for Preston Brook or somewhere out that way. Need to look at the details for the Bridgewater licence.

You can most likely do a night in New Islington. We arrived late afternoon and breasted up to another boat, and left just before first light to get up the 18. I did not want to pay for such a short and low quality stay so we just left the boat and hid in the pub. Cost more than £25 but more fun.

There are moorings down in Castlefield but not sure I would leave a boat unattended. Sadly Manchester is just not boater friendly and has got worse in the last few years since Peel turned the visitor mooring into long term moorings.

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

You can most likely do a night in New Islington. We arrived late afternoon and breasted up to another boat, and left just before first light to get up the 18. I did not want to pay for such a short and low quality stay so we just left the boat and hid in the pub. Cost more than £25 but more fun.

There are moorings down in Castlefield but not sure I would leave a boat unattended. Sadly Manchester is just not boater friendly and has got worse in the last few years since Peel turned the visitor mooring into long term moorings.

We stopped in the Thomas Telford basin (got from there to Rose of Lancaster in a day), but access via the locked gate at the footbridge is now difficult -- you used to be able to get an access code from locals (or boaters who knew it...) but I'm pretty sure this was replaced by a key fob lock several years back, so if you moor there you can't get in or out by foot.

We've stopped in Castlefield several times with no problems, but finding a mooring isn't easy especially now (thanks Peel!), the "hairpin" arms under the railway viaduct are the most likely spot.

The contrast between Manchester and Birmingham is sad... 😞

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

We stopped in the Thomas Telford basin (got from there to Rose of Lancaster in a day), but access via the locked gate at the footbridge is now difficult -- you used to be able to get an access code from locals (or boaters who knew it...) but I'm pretty sure this was replaced by a key fob lock several years back, so if you moor there you can't get in or out by foot.

We've stopped in Castlefield several times with no problems, but finding a mooring isn't easy especially now (thanks Peel!), the "hairpin" arms under the railway viaduct are the most likely spot.

The contrast between Manchester and Birmingham is sad... 😞

I have overnighted by Ducie Street Junction and just above lock 92 (bottom lock of the Rochdale 9). By the junction we did have to contend with a local 'businessman' sitting on a nearby bench and his steady stream of customers, but they all ignored us. Above 92 was pretty quiet once the pub had closed. There was an unattended boat moored next to us that had come to no harm.

57 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I have overnighted by Ducie Street Junction and just above lock 92 (bottom lock of the Rochdale 9). By the junction we did have to contend with a local 'businessman' sitting on a nearby bench and his steady stream of customers, but they all ignored us. Above 92 was pretty quiet once the pub had closed. There was an unattended boat moored next to us that had come to no harm.

Do you mean on the mooring rings opposite to where the Ashton comes out (Dale Street Basin?) or the other side of Bridge 2 (Paradise Wharf?)?

We also looked at just above Duke's Lock (92) but thought it might be noisy due to the pub.

Either way, decent visitor moorings are pretty thin on the ground in Manchester nowadays... 😞

BTW, is Canalplan correct in saying that the locks at each end of the Rochdale summit (Longlees #36 and West Summit #37) are both locked at 4pm? That's a PITA if you're coming up from Hebden Bridge and want to stop overnight, means you have to stop at the VMs below 36 and walk to the Summit Inn... 😞

(not a problem for me, but I don't have a gammy knee...)

Edited by IanD

On 09/04/2023 at 16:48, Unicorn Stampede said:

Of all the places to go on holiday, paying for the joys of the Rochdale 18 wouldn't be very much at the top of my list.

It's an absolute state - they did some cleaning up over last few months (see attached image) so there's less junk, but the locks and dodgy pounds ain't been fixed.

FB_IMG_1677865847393.jpg

Was all that cleared. It’s amazing how much stuff people Chuck into the canal. I realise it has happened for years and years but when you see it, it’s very disappointing what humans get up to.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Do you mean on the mooring rings opposite to where the Ashton comes out (Dale Street Basin?) or the other side of Bridge 2 (Paradise Wharf?)?

We also looked at just above Duke's Lock (92) but thought it might be noisy due to the pub.

Either way, decent visitor moorings are pretty thin on the ground in Manchester nowadays... 😞

BTW, is Canalplan correct in saying that the locks at each end of the Rochdale summit (Longlees #36 and West Summit #37) are both locked at 4pm? That's a PITA if you're coming up from Hebden Bridge and want to stop overnight, means you have to stop at the VMs below 36 and walk to the Summit Inn... 😞

(not a problem for me, but I don't have a gammy knee...)

There is free and unrestricted passage over the summit. CRT did have locks on for part of the summer when water was in short supply but removed them once we had a bit of rain.

Its a pleasant and easy walk from lock 36 over the summit to the pub, and you can walk up the old road (now closed) over the hill and then back along the towpath to make a circular walk.

20 minutes ago, dmr said:

There is free and unrestricted passage over the summit. CRT did have locks on for part of the summer when water was in short supply but removed them once we had a bit of rain.

Its a pleasant and easy walk from lock 36 over the summit to the pub, and you can walk up the old road (now closed) over the hill and then back along the towpath to make a circular walk.

Thanks, that's really helpful -- Canalplan need to change their information then... 😉

I thought you could also moor just above the West Summit lock, before the lock landing?

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes.

Thanks -- we had to stop there (next to the bench with the dope smokers) for a couple of hours in 2019 while CART tried to fix a broken paddle, eventually they tied it closed and we went down with only one. I'm not sure I'd want to stay there overnight though...

Hence the plan to do Rose of Lancaster to Castlefield in a day, delays permitting -- though also not an ideal mooring any more, as pointed out earlier... 😞

Edited by IanD

52 minutes ago, IanD said:

I thought you could also moor just above the West Summit lock, before the lock landing?

Yes you can. Although the towpath wall is quite high and it's a step up from the boat deck.

Convenient for the Summit Inn though.

Edited by David Mack

55 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes you can. Although the towpath wall is quite high and it's a step up from the boat deck.

Convenient for the Summit Inn though.

Thanks for the information -- and the warning about the step up, which again is fine for me... 😉

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Thanks, that's really helpful -- Canalplan need to change their information then... 😉

Yes, there are mooring rings on the summit pound just up from the lock landing but they are set a little back from the canal edge so I do worry about walkers/cyclists tripping over the ropes. As David says its a high washwall there so I do wonder what would happen if somebody fell in, a real risk now that CRT is encouraging cycling.

There are good offside visitor moorings right below the lock though they are looking a bit neglected.

16 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, there are mooring rings on the summit pound just up from the lock landing but they are set a little back from the canal edge so I do worry about walkers/cyclists tripping over the ropes. As David says its a high washwall there so I do wonder what would happen if somebody fell in, a real risk now that CRT is encouraging cycling.

There are good offside visitor moorings right below the lock though they are looking a bit neglected.

You mean at Chelbourne Wharfe?

They certainly do look neglected, it's not even clear if you can get to the pub from the photos!

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

Ducie Street Junction is OK. I once had the pleasure (and survived it) of overnighting there on a boat with no front doors - just a blanket to help stop the draught. 

The only place Ive ever had any hassle was someone who obviously thought they could kick their way in through the cabin side- that was at the Boat and Horses. Suspect the owner of that boat had upset some locals at some point.