Ivy lift bridge Caldon

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

In a symbolic start to my cruising year, I was/am planning a short jaunt up the Caldon today. CRT have just sent a message saying the lift bridge at the bottom is bust.

It's nice to start exactly how I finished last year, with a stoppage...

Before we head out, can you post any other places you are thinking of heading as it seems stuff breaks just because you thought about it.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I note the fault has been diagnosed as a burnt out motor on the hydraulic pump .

Being as it only runs for short durations when operating the bridge and the hydraulics presumably has a pressure relief valve to prevent overload so the load is measurable, I am fascinated to know how they managed this feat. 

Some re-engineering would seem to be required. 

We had submerged motors on passenger lifts that ran a much higher duty cycle and were donkeys years old.

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Before we head out, can you post any other places you are thinking of heading as it seems stuff breaks just because you thought about it.

I'm going round the 4 Counties at the end of May. I'm expecting landslides, a breach and six broken locks, minimum.

• Haha 1

I cycled past this on Monday afternoon. The bridge was down, barriers were down and lights too so it impacted vehicles as well as boats. Three boats in the queue at that point.

It does seem to get jammed quite often which might contribute yo the motor crying enough.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm going round the 4 Counties at the end of May. I'm expecting landslides, a breach and six broken locks, minimum.

How many of those do you plan to be causing yourself? 😃

58 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I cycled past this on Monday afternoon. The bridge was down, barriers were down and lights too so it impacted vehicles as well as boats. Three boats in the queue at that point.

It does seem to get jammed quite often which might contribute yo the motor crying enough.

How many vehicles/cars though?

I see @Arthur Marshall has caused Star Lock to be closed now by thinking of doing the Four Counties.  I'm not sure whether to risk going through there tomorrow as I'll need to come back through on Monday and it sounds like the gates could fail at anytime.

Notice Alert

Trent & Mersey Canal

Starts At: Lock 27, Star Lock

Ends At: Lock 27, Star Lock

Up Stream Winding Hole: Limekiln Basin, above Lock 30, Stone

Down Stream Winding Hole: Stone winding hole, below Lock 27

Tuesday 18 April 2023 08:00 until Thursday 20 April 2023 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

13 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I see @Arthur Marshall has caused Star Lock to be closed now by thinking of doing the Four Counties.  I'm not sure whether to risk going through there tomorrow as I'll need to come back through on Monday and it sounds like the gates could fail at anytime.

Notice Alert

Trent & Mersey Canal

Maybe @Arthur Marshall is the canal equivalent of the guy in the story (Pratchett?) who is convinced that it rains all the time -- turns out it doesn't, but a small rain cloud follows him everywhere due to a disagreement with a local deity... 😉

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Notice Alert

Trent & Mersey Canal

Sorry.

Yes. Received yesterday.

Notice Update: 6th April 23

Navigation: Open, Towpath: Open

Caldon Canal
Starts At: Bridge 11, Ivyhouse Road Lift Bridge
Ends At: Bridge 11, Ivyhouse Road Lift Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole: Bridge 1
Down Stream Winding Hole: Bridge 17 Foxley Drawbridge

Update on 06/04/2023:

The bridge has been fixed. Navigation open.

On 06/04/2023 at 14:55, Rob-M said:

Notice Alert

Trent & Mersey Canal

We have just been through Star Lock, it holds water as well as any if the other Stone Locks, but the towpath side bottom gate is bulging out, near top. That is the least of our troubles, with no boat movements, CaRT have forgotten the Caldon below Hazelhurst, the silt bar in the river below Oakmeadowford Lk16 is blocking navigation. Ho hum yet another taxi to Froghall, so we can get our Saturday Lunch train on the Churnet Valley Railway. Same thing happened last year.

Edited by Neil TNC
Wrong side

The Caldon stoppage is a bit odd, first the original notice,  then one saying they'd dredged it and navigation was open, and two days later a repeat of the original to say it was blocked again.

Can't blame me for that one, I'm up by Bosley.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The Caldon stoppage is a bit odd, first the original notice,  then one saying they'd dredged it and navigation was open, and two days later a repeat of the original to say it was blocked again.

Can't blame me for that one, I'm up by Bosley.

The original message and the update it had been dredged are from last year. Only the most recent update (that it's closed again) is from 2023.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

The original message and the update it had been dredged are from last year. Only the most recent update (that it's closed again) is from 2023.

Hadn't noticed that! I wonder why they just duplicated the original message. Seems an odd thing to do.

On 06/04/2023 at 15:10, IanD said:

Maybe @Arthur Marshall is the canal equivalent of the guy in the story (Pratchett?) who is convinced that it rains all the time -- turns out it doesn't, but a small rain cloud follows him everywhere due to a disagreement with a local deity... 😉

Douglas Adams I think, Hitchhikers. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Douglas Adams I think, Hitchhikers. 

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is where the Rain God lurks. The fact that it's hailed this morning and is now pouring with rain STILL has nothing to do with me. And I only touched one lock at Bosley, so if that's bust now  that's nowt to do with me either. I'm going home tomorrow, so it'll be safe out there for a bit.

30 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is where the Rain God lurks. The fact that it's hailed this morning and is now pouring with rain STILL has nothing to do with me. And I only touched one lock at Bosley, so if that's bust now  that's nowt to do with me either. I'm going home tomorrow, so it'll be safe out there for a bit.

Couldn't remember which of the novels it was in, thanks. Are you an aficionado too? The number 42 has figured very large of recent weeks with me.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is where the Rain God lurks.

Rob McKenna is an ordinary lorry driver who can never get away from rain, and he has a log-book showing that it has rained on him every day, anywhere that he has ever been ...the media deem him a 'Rain God' (something which he actually is) for the clouds want "to be near him, to love him, to cherish him and to water him". This windfall gives him a lucrative career, taking money from resorts and similar places in exchange for not going there

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1