"That" thread asking for help at Kingswood appears to have been deleted. Why?

MtB

Featured Posts

"That" thread asking for help at a mile from Kingswood Junction appears to have been deleted. 

I'm curious about why. Shirty though the bloke got, I didn't notice it breaking any posting rules. Personally I think the whole interlude ought to remain visible regardless of the demands of the OP (which is why I surmise it has gone). 

There was a very pointed and personal attack on Tony. That is in breach of the rules.

It was getting silly, first he is desperate to get the boat moved and when he is offered a pull Monday or Tuesday he suddenly has toddlers and dogs so it will have to be after 11am on Wednesday, who does he think he is?

About 10 minutes ago I clicked on the thread title in the VNC list and got a message to say the topic was unavailable. And now it has gone altogether.

I waited a few minutes thinking maybe a mod was removing an unacceptable post I hadn't seen. But I'm beginning to agree with MtB that the thread has been censored for no good reason. Another moderating decision that that mods will probably stay silent on.

Meanwhile yesterday I reported a duplicate thread to the mods. At one time two virtually identical threads would have been merged, but now we have 2 parallel threads on the same subject. 

Edited by David Mack

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I waited a few minutes thinking maybe a mod was removing an unacceptable post

Yes, this did happen after we received a report from a member. But the rest of the topic is still visible on my screen.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, this did happen after we received a report from a member. But the rest of the topic is still visible on my screen.

Back for me too now, thank you.

I was very concerned as we had this a few months ago, where a new poster asked a question, got a quite a few helpful answers then they demanded the thread be deleted for no good reason other than a mild contretemps late in the thread, and Team Mod just deleted it! No credible explanation ever provided.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Back for me too now, thank you.

I was very concerned as we had this a few months ago, where a new poster asked a question, got a quite a few helpful answers then they demanded the thread be deleted for no good reason other than a mild contretemps late in the thread, and Team Mod just deleted it! No credible explanation ever provided.

I don't remember that one. But at least you can enjoy reading the "Gasket" one at your leisure.:D

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't remember that one. But at least you can enjoy reading the "Gasket" one at your leisure.:D

It's more a case of people taking time to post thoughtful advice then getting it deleted for no good reason. This discourages posters from writing technical advice in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

It's more a case of people taking time to post thoughtful advice then getting it deleted for no good reason. This discourages posters from writing technical advice in the first place. 

Yes, quite so.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The thread in which it seems the OP had blown a gasket, rather than his boat's engine.🙂

I couldn't possibly comment.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Those are the steam tubes that run through the boiler! 

Pendant alert; I think most of them are fire tubes, although any smaller tubes inside larger fire tubes would be steam tubes for the superheating of the steam.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Pendant alert; I think most of them are fire tubes, although any smaller tubes inside larger fire tubes would be steam tubes for the superheating of the steam.

You're bound to be right.

I usually find myself wondering how far the front end cap went, when it exploded! 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Those are the steam tubes that run through the boiler! 

W ell, whoever would guessed it? Not doing a very good job of it, are they?

Just now, MtB said:

You're bound to be right.

I usually find myself wondering how far the front end cap went, when it exploded! 

Or "smokebox door", as it is sometimes known.

Into the next state, perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am wondering how it happened.

Such incidents are not unknown, and I assume, though I don't know' that they're caused by the supply of water running out. Road andf farm traction engines have something called a "fusible plug" which prevents this from happening (I think it drops out and releases the internal pressure but I'm not sure) but I don't think that railway locos do.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Such incidents are not unknown, and I assume, though I don't know' that they're caused by the supply of water running out. Road andf farm traction engines have something called a "fusible plug" which prevents this from happening (I think it drops out and releases the internal pressure but I'm not sure) but I don't think that railway locos do.

My understanding is that the fusible plugs are in the firebox inner wall, so if the firebox overheats they melt and the water between the two walls douse the fire. I may be wrong about that though

• Greenie 2

I reckon that the train ran into an alien at speed.

A few years ago a friend was coming to pick me up from Heathrow and she had somerhing very similar happen.

Driving down the A1 a deer ran across the road in front of her, she hit it, it folded up and went thru the grill, the radiator and ended up wrapped around the engine with a pair of legs sticking out the front.

Most annoyed - we had been travelling for 24 hours and now had to get a train into London and a coach home (another 4+ hours)

25 minutes ago, MtB said:

...and must have fixed the PRV shut.

Locomotive PRV's are called "safety valves" for a good reason (I'm not sure we've yet had a thread "how do I wire the PRV shut so i can get a proper hot shower" but I'm sure it's coming...)

There's a story of a rail fitter in Wolverton works in the 1800's who was "annoyed" by the sound of discharging steam; so he screwed the safety valve down. The locomotive retaliated by slicing his ear off when it exploded...