C&RT License Survey

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Very true. I've never met anyone, leisure or CCer, who spoke in derogatory terms of other boater's choices.

I think the crunch will come hardest for the non-liveaboard CCers as they've got houses to run as well as boats to pretend to cruise on. Those are the ones who will either get moorings or sell up.

I wonder whether some people who speak in derogatory terms about boaters choices don't get the opportunity to go out boating themselves enough.

I know I'll miss it when I get too old to manage the boat but I'd like to think I could still play a positive part in keeping our wonderful heritage for our future generations.

It's refreshing to see how other canal based charities can renovate canals on low budget, fueled by enthusiasm. Yet, C&RT with their massive income struggle to maintain what we already have!

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

I could have posted exactly the same comments about Goliath that I did about M_JG, for exactly the same reasons... 😉

If they don't like being ignored, maybe they shouldn't be so free to throw insults around, and behave like "sh*t-stirrers" -- not my label, that came from another forum member with the same view of the same posters.

I'm perfectly willing to change my mind when presented with facts that show I'm wrong, and have done so on several occasions. What I won't do is give in to loud-mouthed bullies who say I should shut up because they either disagree with me (which is fine) or don't like being confronted with facts which disagree with their opinions (tough) -- which are indeed like a*seholes, everybody's got one...

No doubt they'll post the usual insulting follow-ons (hey, guess who started that?) casting aspersions about my character and motivation, which I also won't read -- they've both been doing this for ages, you'd have thought they'd have learned by now... 😉

I don’t mind being ignored IanD.

but I do feel the fool for responding and getting involved in childish arguments with you,

I just can’t stop myself, 

reminds me of the playground arguments “my friend says....”

your in a narcissistic dreamworld

It’s I that must start ignoring you

7 minutes ago, JemShaun said:

Mr D I am 53 years old I can make my own judgements on people, I will not be influenced by others, I am a very firm believer that some or even many people not just in forums but in real life have an agenda. I am not saying you or anyone else has said agenda, and I would gladly sit and enjoy a beer or 2 with yourself.  You or anyone on this site has not upset any of my family, so until that time arrives, I am friends with everyone 

So glad to hear that, and my apologies if I misinterpreted your post 🙂

3 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

It's refreshing to see how other canal based charities can renovate canals on low budget, fueled by enthusiasm. Yet, C&RT with their massive income struggle to maintain what we already have!

I suppose to a degree that is because the labour in the main for canal restorations comes free - I don't know to what extent any of the work is undertaken by paid employees and/or contractors?

Just now, IanD said:

So glad to hear that, and my apologies if I misinterpreted your post 🙂

No fella no need for any apologies, We are all in the same...... never mind lol.

At the end of the day we all have to understand that without facial expressions, anything that is read can be misinterpreted at any level.

You will know my displeasure when I buy the first 2 rounds and you are sat on your wallet 🤣

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, JemShaun said:

No fella no need for any apologies, We are all in the same...... never mind lol.

At the end of the day we all have to understand that without facial expressions, anything that is read can be misinterpreted at any level.

You will know my displeasure when I buy the first 2 rounds and you are sat on your wallet 🤣

We might argue about who gets the second round though... 😉

11 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I wonder whether some people who speak in derogatory terms about boaters choices don't get the opportunity to go out boating themselves enough.

I know I'll miss it when I get too old to manage the boat but I'd like to think I could still play a positive part in keeping our wonderful heritage for our future generations.

Because CART have a much bigger income than said charities, but also even more things they have to find the money for?

Also a small charity might be able to rely on volunteers to do things like digging who will work for nothing but the love of the canals, but it's difficult to see how they could make new lock gates... 😉

If CART were swimming in money, the canals wouldn't be in the state they are and the proposed license fee increases wouldn't be needed.

10 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Restoration is sexy - volunteers aplenty, fund raising, grants and all the rest. Brass bands and fireworks for every mile. Then, hand it over to the CRT, hardly any boats visit the wonderful restored side arm to Crumpton Nowhere and ..... routine maintenance, managing all the whinging of various users, trying to prise money out of government and others is absolutely necessary, expensive and distinctly unsexy.

CRT should refuse to connect or take over any new restorations unless an adequate, perpetual maintenance fund has also been established.

• Greenie 4

Just now, Bristolfashion said:

CRT should refuse to connect or take over any new restorations unless an adequate, perpetual maintenance fund has also been established.

Sadly I have to agree with this.

1 minute ago, Bristolfashion said:

Restoration is sexy - volunteers aplenty, fund raising, grants and all the rest. Brass bands and fireworks for every mile. Then, hand it over to the CRT, hardly any boats visit the wonderful restored side arm to Crumpton Nowhere and ..... routine maintenance, managing all the whinging of various users, trying to prise money out of government and others is absolutely necessary, expensive and distinctly unsexy.

Having done that without such funding with canals like the K&A and HNC and Rochdale is one reason CART are in the financial mess they are today... 😞

1 minute ago, JemShaun said:

She would out argue both of us 🤣

So long as the beer keeps coming, who cares?

BTW do you and your missus play crib? 😉

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Having done that without such funding with canals like the K&A and HNC and Rochdale is one reason CART are in the financial mess they are today... 😞

So long as the beer keeps coming, who cares?

BTW do you and your missus play crib? 😉

I used too way back, the boss is still struggling with snap 

I remember watching my dad play crib years ago and they were counting up I was so confused 

4 minutes ago, JemShaun said:

I used too way back, the boss is still struggling with snap 

I remember watching my dad play crib years ago and they were counting up I was so confused 

A friend went to the school PTA where they met their son's maths teacher (he was about 6 IIRC) who said he was doing very well, especially with arithmetic, but that it was strange that he could spot numbers which added up to 15 or 31 really quickly... 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I think a lot of people living on boats on "continuous cruiser licences" will welcome the extra costs as it helps to legitimise their lifestyle and enable them to claim state support for various things. Seems like good insurance. Better than being marginalised and eventually outlawed. 

I very much doubt that paying more to CC will legitimise anything, they will just pay more for the same benefits (of a 'low cost lifestyle'). To be able to claim for these Government grants you need a post code and/or to be paying council tax.

If CC boaters could pay council tax (which there does not appear to be any mechanism to do so) and, are prepared to stump up £1000 a year CT then yes they may get the benefits that boaters with a residential mooring get. 

1 hour ago, Bristolfashion said:

Which is already written in law, it is just that like many of the laws neither BW or C&RT have implemented them.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I  [doubt] very much that paying more to CC will legitimise anything, they will just pay more for the same benefits (of a 'low cost lifestyle'). 

I still think the fact that a continuous cruiser licence is now displayed on a .gov webshite is interesting.

Not sure anyone else has noticed this..

7 hours ago, MtB said:

An extra £12m. Well worth doing!

Only thing is I can't just fork out an extra £40 every week for the privilege, that's equivalent to your basic costs going up forty percent. I am sure you can afford it. But not everyone can.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Because CART have a much bigger income than said charities, but also even more things they have to find the money for?

Also a small charity might be able to rely on volunteers to do things like digging who will work for nothing but the love of the canals, but it's difficult to see how they could make new lock gates... 😉

If CART were swimming in money, the canals wouldn't be in the state they are and the proposed license fee increases wouldn't be needed.

... but CRT is swimming in money - £1.14 billion according to the last annual report.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One can only agree - BW being a Government 'department' had 'virtually unlimited funds' whilst C&RT have higher expenditure than income and if they were a business would be declared bankrupt.

They need more money than BW ever did.

Wake up and smell the Coffee !

CRT is a business, in that they are a company limited by guarentee. They are still a going concern according to the last annual report.

Of course they are also a charity. 

What will come as a suprise to many that CRT is a government "department". It was classified as a public corporation in 2015.

6 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

They are still a going concern according to the last annual report.

Only because they are not actually running the business properly - if they were to actually maintain the assets (even to the 'steady state' when they inherited them) they would have greater expenditure than income.

• Greenie 2