Widebeam Retirement

Ian Sullivan

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Ian I am not interested, I think I have decided what to do and I will let you know when it comes to pass, but it doesnt involve staying on CRT waters to become a milkcow for them

So you don't believe what you said then, it was just the usual anti-CART rant. Thought so... 😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

So you don't believe what you said then, it was just the usual anti-CART rant. Thought so... 😉

Dear god....

When exactly do you get time to do any work??

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Yes Martin, he is deluded if he thinks that CRT will listen to anything we say, or bright ideas he thinks up, they need money they will raid our bank accounts as we are a captive market 

It's just this rather petty and childish (Ian must be right about everything) he takes on in just about every single thread he participates in. 

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Yes Martin, he is deluded if he thinks that CRT will listen to anything we say, or bright ideas he thinks up, they need money they will raid our bank accounts as we are a captive market 

CART are doing the consultation precisely so they *can* make increases in the license fees without loads of boaters like Peter saying "It's not fair, we weren't asked" -- they'll put the average fee up, and almost certainly introduce other changes like area-based fees and some kind of CC surcharge to make bigger differences between what different boaters pay. Like all the FAQs suggest might (will?) happen...

Why would they do anything else when this gets them more money with less protest than just increasing the fees to everyone? They'd be stupid -- but then they are, according to you... 😉

<click>  <brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not everyone is at the same stage of their life cycle as you are.

You may be a "Grade II Veteran" but are you qualified to give lifestyle advice to a 50 year old, who has proven by the fact he can retire 15 years early that he is quite capable of sorting out his life.

The OP does not want a suitable (or unsuitable) job - he has worked himself into a position where he can do what he wants, and, he wants to retire,

Dunno about that. Just joined the Fire Service when I was younger and this is where I ended up........I am a lucky fella I suppose.

• Greenie 1

The Crick Boat show is coming up later this year. Would be a good idea to spend a day or two there. It will give you a chance to look at various boats and try to talk to as many of the visitors as possible. You will get a lot of contradictory opinions but at least you will go away with a few more options and better idea of what is possible. I may be wrong but the wide beam boats seem to depreciate faster than the narrownoats.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

CART are doing the consultation precisely so they *can* make increases in the license fees without loads of boaters like Peter saying "It's not fair, we weren't asked" -- they'll put the average fee up, and almost certainly introduce other changes like area-based fees and some kind of CC surcharge to make bigger differences between what different boaters pay. Like all the FAQs suggest might (will?) happen...

Why would they do anything else when this gets them more money with less protest than just increasing the fees to everyone? They'd be stupid -- but then they are, according to you... 😉

<click>  <brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

What amazes me is you believe they will listen to the consultation! I have just spoken to Dave our moorings owner  he has been at the game for going on 40 years, he thinks we will all pay more, lots more, so you are going to get what you wish for. He thinks it will be a straight percentage rise with CCers getting stung the most

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What amazes me is you believe they will listen to the consultation! I have just spoken to Dave our moorings owner  he has been at the game for going on 40 years, he thinks we will all pay more, lots more, so you are going to get what you wish for. He thinks it will be a straight percentage rise with CCers getting stung the most

If those without a home mooring are to charged eg an extra £1000, we would all be looking for a home mooring costing £1000 or less, regardless of the usability of said mooring. I am thinking about Boat Clubs who have a spare berth, even if that berth would not fit my boat, it would still qualify as a mooring.

I might use a boat club to haul out , and do some painting, then re launch. It this going to be workable?

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If those without a home mooring are to charged eg an extra £1000, we would all be looking for a home mooring costing £1000 or less, regardless of the usability of said mooring. I am thinking about Boat Clubs who have a spare berth, even if that berth would not fit my boat, it would still qualify as a mooring.

I might use a boat club to haul out , and do some painting, then re launch. It this going to be workable?

That's what used to happen. Boaters declared " ghost moorings" which never saw the boat but BW as it was there cottoned on and started checking mooring sites. Ellesmere port was a favourite I believe 

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am thinking about Boat Clubs who have a spare berth, even if that berth would not fit my boat, it would still qualify as a mooring.

Another load of tosh - you just cannot help yourself can you. Have you actually read the legal requiremnts of the 1995 Act ?

It (the mooring) must be reasonable (ie the boat must fit) to keep the boat there, and, C&RT must be  satisfied that the suitable mooring actually exists.

the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere; or

19 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Please stop putting words into my mouth that I never said, it's getting irritating -- just because TWC does it all the time doesn't mean you have to,,, 😉

I must have said twenty times that I don't want everyone to pay more (though I think people like me should so the less-well off can pay less -- or less of an increase...) but as usual you keep ignoring this in your eagerness to prove me wrong.

You and your mate think a straight percentage rise for everybody will happen (though this doesn't fit with "CCers getting stung the most, does it?), though you don't seem convinced enough of this to take up my offer to make a donation to CWDF 🙂

I disagree because it makes no sense for CART to do this. I seem to remember a similar discussion before CART banned bag'n'binning, and you were wrong then. Let's see what happens this time...

Edited by IanD

Trying to pull the conversation back to the original questions asked by the OP. Collingwood really don't have a great reputation. I would recommend either Tim Tyler or Colecraft. However itis worth bearing in mind that many companies buy their hulls from these 2 boat builders for outfitting and finishing. So if you do start looking for someone to supply you a turn key boat, have a look to see who the hull builder is.

If you want to go the second hand route then start by having a look at Apollo Duck website. There are plenty of nearly new (less than 3 years old) widebeams for sale that fall within your budget. 

Last of all if you are looking to live aboard then make sure you secure a mooring before you buy the boat.  

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Please stop putting words into my mouth that I never said, it's getting irritating -- just because TWC does it all the time doesn't mean you have to,,, 😉

I must have say twenty times that I don't want everyone to pay more, but yet again you keep ignoring that fact.

You and your mate think a straight percentage rise for everybody will happen (though this doesn't fit with "CCers getting stung the most, does it?), though you don't seem convinced enough of this to take up my offer to make a donation to CWDF 🙂

I disagree because it makes no sense for CART to do this. I seem to remember a similar discussion before CART banned bag'n'binning, and you were wrong then. Let's see what happens this time...

Doesn't matter to me I wont be on CRT waterways, Dave knows more about what's going on than you he rents his moorings from CRT

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's what used to happen. Boaters declared " ghost moorings" which never saw the boat but BW as it was there cottoned on and started checking mooring sites. Ellesmere port was a favourite I believe 

There is no law says I must moor up anywhere, so other than having a difficult conversation, I don't see how use of the declared home mooring can be enforced.

Looking at the local boat club moorings, if they all shuffled up and maybe parked herringbone, I could  fit in, they would get an extra £1000 a year, and I would not be chased off if I moored up for lunch one day, using the spare thirty foot which is presently unoccupied.

The only problem with this particular boat club, and it may apply to many, is that they are  more concerned with chasing off other boaters than welcoming them. 

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Trying to pull the conversation back to the original questions asked by the OP. Collingwood really don't have a great reputation. I would recommend either Tim Tyler or Colecraft. However itis worth bearing in mind that many companies buy their hulls from these 2 boat builders for outfitting and finishing. So if you do start looking for someone to supply you a turn key boat, have a look to see who the hull builder is.

If you want to go the second hand route then start by having a look at Apollo Duck website. There are plenty of nearly new (less than 3 years old) widebeams for sale that fall within your budget. 

Last of all if you are looking to live aboard then make sure you secure a mooring before you buy the boat.  

It's a very good point, and not many who tout themselves as 'boatbuilders' as opposed to 'boatfitters' actually produce their own steelwork, and it's not always easy to find out where they source their shells from (or they don't want to let on). Aqualine are another who seem to make reasonable widebeams, i think they get their shells made in Poland?

28 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Colecraft are midrange and decent quality (better than Collingwood) but more expensive, Tim Tyler is better still but also more expensive and with a longer waiting list -- and also the boatbuilders who use his hulls tend to be more expensive, more in demand, and have long waiting lists, typically a couple of years for the ones I looked at.

26 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Doesn't matter to me I wont be on CRT waterways, Dave knows more about what's going on than you he rents his moorings from CRT

It's funny how your mates always know the best, except when it turns out they don't. But I'm sure Dave has a direct hotline to the top CART management who make decisions like this... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There is no law says I must moor up anywhere, so other than having a difficult conversation, I don't see how use of the declared home mooring can be enforced.

Looking at the local boat club moorings, if they all shuffled up and maybe parked herringbone, I could  fit in, they would get an extra £1000 a year, and I would not be chased off if I moored up for lunch one day, using the spare thirty foot which is presently unoccupied.

The only problem with this particular boat club, and it may apply to many, is that they are  more concerned with chasing off other boaters than welcoming them. 

You are right, there is no law which says you have to moor up anywhere BUT if higher licences for continuous cruisers are introduced you can bet your bottom dollar that C&RTs visits to boat clubs and marinas will be paying particular attention to what boats the club says are paying for a mooring there.  If their records show that a boat which has declared a mooring (to avoid paying the CC charge) is moored there, they will want confirmation of that. Do you think a boat club or marina would risk getting themselves into hot water for the sake of offering a ghost mooring to a boater? 

Nice try but I don't think it will work

When this reared it's ugly head a few years ago many boats declared moorings on the Middle Level, which at the time was like the wild west, no licence and a free for all. Unfortunately things have changed so that won't be possible now as all ML boats have to have a licence and I believe a mooring as well. 🤭

25 minutes ago, IanD said:

Colecraft are midrange and decent quality (better than Collingwood) but more expensive, Tim Tyler is better still but also more expensive and with a longer waiting list -- and also the boatbuilders who use his hulls tend to be more expensive, more in demand, and have long waiting lists, typically a couple of years for the ones I looked at.

It's funny how your mates always know the best, except when it turns out they don't. But I'm sure Dave has a direct hotline to the top CART management who make decisions like this... 😉

What like your hotline? He pays them many thousands of pounds unlike you, what they do with licensing directly affects him, so he has a consultation as well. 

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What like your hotline? He pays them many thousands of pounds unlike you, what they do with licensing directly affects him, so he has a consultation as well. 

And I'm sure he's also a predictive mindreader so he knows what they're thinking before they've even made a decision following a consultation that hasn't happened yet... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not as straightforward as you think. You have to be sponsored first by a club member, then approved by the committee.  Attend work weekends every month if possible ( at least 3) only after all that which could be months or years if a mooring comes available for your length of boat you may be offered a temporary mooring with a view to becoming a full mooring member. Don’t get me wrong boat clubs don’t suit everyone but it’s a great way to keep boating costs down . 

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Think you need a reality check. Boat clubs are for participating members not piss tackers. Me me me me me.🤨

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

And I'm sure he's also a predictive mindreader so he knows what they're thinking before they've even made a decision following a consultation that hasn't happened yet... 😉

Exactly the same as you! Except he has 40 years experience of them, remind me how long have you had a business with BW and now CRT?

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Exactly the same as you! Except he has 40 years experience of them, remind me how long have you had a business with BW and now CRT?

Leave it out Peter. He's guessing, so am I. We'll see who's right after the result of the consultation and CART tell us what they're going to do.