57ft NB Dutch Barge

Silent Flight

Featured Posts

The other thing to be aware of is that if you fit lots of solar panels on a boat then your brain will tend to think that you need to moor in areas where there is no shade. Just so you can "make the best of it". 

This can limit the number of suitable mooring areas and may detract from the natural pleasure of boating. Solar power is wonderful. I really like it but be careful about priorities. 

I would not want a piece of glass with an aluminium frame around it and some silicon thing to rule where I moor the boat. 

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The wheelhouse is hideous, unless you like growing tomatoes.

Now we are getting somewhere !

4 hours ago, IanD said:

To get enough panel area to be really useful on a boat this size (enough power) you need quite a big area of panels. The only sensible alternatives are flat panels -- either on tiltable mounts or flat-mounted -- or good-quality semi-flexible panels bonded to the roof, which are reliable when done properly.

Flat panels are much cheaper and easy to add on, semi-flexible can look better but are much more expensive (about 5x?) and really need skilled installing when the boat is built.

Think big flat panels seem to be the sensible move. Considering there is quite alot of roof space hopefully that will be a big enough area to make it worthwhile installing some panels!

As the side decks are wide it makes walking on the top less important so you could put quite a lot on there. 

It would need to be measured up but something like 325w mono panels might be just the right length to go across the top of the cabin. 

Sun reflecting off it would be a bit nasty at times though. Probably not a big problem most of the time. 

I've walked on my panels a few times (325,355,365 and 415w quite big ones suspended on stands at the corners and they don't actually break. 

This probably depends on body weight and they are a bit slippery so if you fall over and die don't come running to me to complain about it. 

It is remarkable how durable they actually are on account of the arduous life of living on a roof. 

30 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

The portable one is a idea to kind of boost but still have roof panels. Found it handy before as have a 15m lead so the motorhome is in the shade but the panel is basking in the sun. Or if the sun moves behind trees when moored and roof panels aren’t picking up any sunlight then move the portable one. 

Do they make ones that float or are you considering putting an array on the towpath for the cyclists to ride over.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The wheelhouse is hideous, unless you like growing tomatoes.

I thought I was going mad looking for this reply I made, but was on another thread.. ‘Dutch barge downsides’

But here ya go Haha I hadn’t thought about that but yes ideal tomatoe growing space.. Add some chilllis and will be whipping up some wicked arrabbiatas!  

36 minutes ago, magnetman said:

As the side decks are wide it makes walking on the top less important so you could put quite a lot on there. 

It would need to be measured up but something like 325w mono panels might be just the right length to go across the top of the cabin. 

Sun reflecting off it would be a bit nasty at times though. Probably not a big problem most of the time. 

I've walked on my panels a few times (325,355,365 and 415w quite big ones suspended on stands at the corners and they don't actually break. 

This probably depends on body weight and they are a bit slippery so if you fall over and die don't come running to me to complain about it. 

It is remarkable how durable they actually are on account of the arduous life of living on a roof. 

That was my hope to walk the side decks and improve on some of the power and storage by using the roof a lot.

Cheers will look at 325w size see if right length.

Thanks for the disclaimer too 😂 Don’t think I’ll try walking on one will take your word for it!

How does other stuff generally last living the arduous roof life?

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

This ^^^^^^^

There is a forward skylight.

In no way would that be my chosen exit route though.

Even if I could drag my fat arse up through it.

You laugh @Owls Den but this would be a deal breaker for lots of experienced boaters.

Your proposed purchase may just about meet the requirements for an emergency exit from the forward section of the boat but a side hatch or front opening window would be a much better option.

8 minutes ago, M_JG said:

You laugh @Owls Den but this would be a deal breaker for lots of experienced boaters.

Your proposed purchase may just about meet the requirements for an emergency exit from the forward section of the boat but a side hatch or front opening window would be a much better option.

There is a side hatch in the middle ?

No in all seriousness, it’s a very good point and will look into it appreciate it.

23 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

There is a side hatch in the middle ?

No in all seriousness, it’s a very good point and will look into it appreciate it.

Boats are often built with side hatches in the middle. Ours had one either side. But it also had front doors opening into a well deck.

The point here is that your proposed purchase possibly meets the absalute minimum requirement for emergency exit from the forward section of the boat, forward of the side hatch.

Some have side hatches even further forward which in an emergency would be safer.

We can only offer our opinions in response to your questions.

Now in all probability it will never ever be required. Just be aware.

Edited by M_JG

9 hours ago, M_JG said:

There is a forward skylight.

In no way would that be my chosen exit route though.

Even if I could drag my fat arse up through it.

My thoughts exactly.  To use my native dialect you would need to be "gaily lish."

Looking at the website the side hatch seems to be in the region of the Galley, where fires will potentially start.  That leaves a lot of boat with only the roof escape which if there happened to be more than one person will I feel be considerably slower than front doors.

Edited by Jerra
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Looking at the website the side hatch seems to be in the region of the Galley, where fires will potentially start.  That leaves a lot of boat with only the roof escape which if there happened to be more than one person will I feel be considerably slower than front doors.

In addition, how long would it ake fully to open such a hatch, in an emergency situation with flames and smoke coursing through the boat>

I fear that the answer would be "too long".

Sorry to p*** on your ch*ps, Owlsden, but this is a real safety concern.

17 hours ago, booke23 said:

I wouldn't bother to facilitate tilting the panels, but that's up to you.   

I would. Yesterday with my panels tilted I ran 3 cycles of my automatic washing machine and topped up the batteries. On clear winter days when the sun is low I get 3 x the wattage out of my panels when they're tilted compared to when they're flat. One of my neighbours has told me she wishes she could tilt her panels. She's got more sq.ft of panels than me but she's not getting as much out of them. This will all change in spring & summer of course, when the sun is higher and tilting won't make much difference, but on bright days in winter the difference is amazing.

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

In addition, how long would it ake fully to open such a hatch, in an emergency situation with flames and smoke coursing through the boat>

I fear that the answer would be "too long".

A 'split second'.

Our forward escape method is via an opening hatch in the roof (as is typical on the vast majority of salty water boats (no front doors) - they have to be a certain size (as specified in the RCD / RCR and obviously applicable to NBs as well ! ) and ours is situated over one of the bunks in the forward cabin, so if you stand on the bed you are already out to your shoulders - foot on top-bunk and you are out 'as quick as a rat up a drain pipe'.

When I was painting the rear deck we used the hatch as our main entry and exit, its no big problem - even for the more rotund of us.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

One of my first thoughts on viewing a boat is how do i get out of bed area in a fire.

Sounds morbid I know but once you have seen what can happen its a real concern, I hd to get a person out of aboat who had put a wardrobe  in front of the only doors in the front cabin. The fire was under and round the rear and only exit doors. He was a mess.

Cabin door locks need to be internal and lockable from inside only. ( only one external lock on our boat , if you can get in all exits (5) are open).

Its worth thought.

• Greenie 1

There was an incident in London a few years ago where someone had blocked an exit and had a galley fire and a passer by smashed a window to get him out.

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/21242353.woman-speaks-dramatic-regents-canal-boat-blaze-rescue/

These things are rare but can happen. Don't Block Exits. Never do this.

• Greenie 2