57ft NB Dutch Barge

Silent Flight

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, magnetman said:

Side door is nice to see. 

I also like the handrails. You can actually hold onto them which is handy, unlike some. 

Hopefully they put the boat horizontal before you take it away. 

Hahahaha it’s in one those vertical dry docks 🤣

I was glad to see the side door too. And thankyou handrails and side decks are pretty practical!

7 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

Worked in my favour I think, thank you ABNB😁

You could be correct actually. It certainly would/could have disauded a lot of people from viewing it.

The only real potential issue with the side hatch exit is the inability to open them in a narrow lock should the need arise, but the arrangement is not unusual.

1 hour ago, Owls Den said:

Indeed! I have a copy of a recent boat survey with copies of paperwork for the work rectified, electrical survey, hull survey blacked in 2020 

No - DID YOU HAVE A SURVEY ?

If you read the survey you will find that it has a clause (something like) "this is valid only for the person comissioning the survey - it is not transferable"

This means that if you buy it relying on something stated in the survey (maybe hull thickness ?) and you then find out it is not as described, or may even has a hole in it then YOU have no recourse to the surveyor.

Sometimes - if you speak to the surveyor, for a fee, he can transfer the 'rights' to you - but many are reluctant to do so without another visit, as, understandably, they have no knowledge of what may have been done to the boat the day after they did the survey. 

It is not unknown for 'major work. to have been done removing gas and electical appliances (for example) leaving open ended gas pipes, danglin wires etc.

A two-year old survey is worthless.

A forum members boat went from a hull thickness of over 6mm to almost nothing in 18 months, and another went from  8mm to under 3mm.

Screenshot (1074).png

Screenshot (1073).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A forum members boat went from a hull thickness of over 6mm to almost nothing in 18 months, and another went from  8mm to under 3mm.

Whilst the (perhaps) 2,000 other boats belonging to forum members, didn't.

So yes it can happen, but is vanishingly unlikely.

Does the OP feel lucky? He probably will be.

AND he has a survey that makes the boat insurable. 

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Whilst the (perhaps) 2,000 other boats belonging to forum members, didn't.

I very much doubt that the forum has anywhere near 2000 members, or even 1000 with 2 boats each.

I'd suggest that 'active' forum members is quite possibly under 100.

Personally I'd rather have a boat that I know is sound, than one that is possibly unsound but is insurable - but, I guess you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

14 hours ago, Owls Den said:

Took the boat out today handled great, engine spot on. It was super icy in places, made it very interesting though ! 

Leading on from some helpful points from the forum I went over the boat with a more critical eye.

So regarding the safety there is a side hatch in the that is not on the plan(See pic) I spotted it straight away this time as was more conscious of this factor now. Pointed out to current owners that it wasn’t on the plan and they dismissed that. The plan from the brochure was produced later and evidently they agreed it was indeed missed out. But never mind it’s great news for me regardless of the mistake. 

Wheelhouse is still a wheelhouse. The doors do swing back 90 degrees and clip on. No sorry, no tomatoes yet it’s not the right season.

Will reply to some peoples thoughts when I can.

Pretty busy as I still loved the boat after today, and can now say I’m the proud owner of her!

6D11F842-DBA7-43EA-AA70-45631E90A18E.jpeg

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating!

• Love 1

On 19/01/2023 at 12:47, ditchcrawler said:

A sinking boat would probably be a bigger danger there.

I passed a boat fire last trip, the fire was at the bows so if anyone had been onboard the only escape would have been the stern, Thankfully there was no one on at the time., but the dogs died.

image.png.1fa4fdf59daa7ee547bdcd2846ea6366.png

Just noticed the part about the dogs died! How awful 😢 

On 19/01/2023 at 09:16, Alan de Enfield said:

A 'split second'.

Our forward escape method is via an opening hatch in the roof (as is typical on the vast majority of salty water boats (no front doors) - they have to be a certain size (as specified in the RCD / RCR and obviously applicable to NBs as well ! ) and ours is situated over one of the bunks in the forward cabin, so if you stand on the bed you are already out to your shoulders - foot on top-bunk and you are out 'as quick as a rat up a drain pipe'.

When I was painting the rear deck we used the hatch as our main entry and exit, its no big problem - even for the more rotund of us.

This is what my ex naval Dad said about the Houdini hatch, having been around his different salty water boats I also agree. He told me of some real rusty tubs he sailed on for months on end, the whole crew never really felt comfortable on with constant repairs from day one!

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A two-year old survey is worthless.

Have deliberated this either way a lot but it’s a bit of a unusual situation in that the lovely couple purchased the boat two years ago. They had the boat surveyed, with some things rectified by trades with the relevant paperwork. And the boat blacked with hull survey carried out.

Then covid happened and the pandemic meant they couldn’t move or do much with the boat for a couple of years. They did live aboard so the engine was run daily for an hour or so.

So taking this into consideration decided that I’m not going to have a survey.

Although next week some pals (chippy sparky nd decorator)  are visiting in the trades to go over the boat and to help with ideas and plans for her. 

28 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

Although next week some pals (chippy sparky nd decorator)  are visiting in the trades to go over the boat and to help with ideas and plans for her. 

OK, thats fine, you are obviously aware of the risks and have decided to take them, which is entirely your perogative.

With regard to your 'sparky' just ensure that the one you engage is fully aware of the requirements of 'small boat wiring' as the standards are hugely different to 'house wiring', requiring different types of cabling and very different sizes - on a boat the cable choice is very rarely decided by current rating and more by volt drop,

Check that your sparky plans to wire in accordance with 

ISO 13297:2020

Small craft — Electrical systems — Alternating and direct current installations

1   Scope

This document specifies the requirements for the design, construction and installation of the following types of DC and AC electrical systems, installed on small craft either individually or in combination:
  • a) extra-low-voltage direct current (DC) electrical systems that operate at nominal potentials of 50 V DC or less;
  • b) single-phase alternating current (AC) systems that operate at a nominal voltage not exceeding AC 250 V.

Prerogative not perogative. 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

OK, thats fine, you are obviously aware of the risks and have decided to take them, which is entirely your perogative.

prerogative. It is something happens in advance like prenatal, preemptive etc. 

Privilege 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

prerogative. It is something happens in advance like prenatal, preemptive etc. 

Thankyou kindly for correcting my typo, but I think your knowledge of the meaning of the word is somewhat flawed :

It is a decision that ONLY he can make as defined by Cambridge Dictionary :

prerogative
   formal

UK 

/prɪˈrɒɡ.ə.tɪv/ US 

/prɪˈrɑː.ɡə.t̬ɪv/

something that certain people are able or allowed to do or have, but is not possible or allowed for everyone:
Alex makes all the big decisions - that's his prerogative as company director.
Skiing used to be the prerogative of the rich, but now a far wider range of people do it.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

With regard to your 'sparky' just ensure that the one you engage is fully aware of the requirements of 'small boat wiring' as the standards are hugely different to 'house wiring', requiring different types of cabling and very different sizes - on a boat the cable choice is very rarely decided by current rating and more by volt drop,

And a completely different mindset 

2 hours ago, Owls Den said:

Have deliberated this either way a lot but it’s a bit of a unusual situation in that the lovely couple purchased the boat two years ago. They had the boat surveyed, with some things rectified by trades with the relevant paperwork. And the boat blacked with hull survey carried out.

Then covid happened and the pandemic meant they couldn’t move or do much with the boat for a couple of years. They did live aboard so the engine was run daily for an hour or so.

So taking this into consideration decided that I’m not going to have a survey.

Respect to you for stating on here you are going ahead anyway. Lot's wouldn't risk getting a mauling on here for relying on a previous survey but as Alan says it is entirely your boat, your money and your risk.

You are highly unlikely to find you have an issue at a later date. But it's possible.

What might be worth considering is next time the boat is out for blacking is getting a hull only survey just to reassure yourself.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Check that your sparky plans to wire in accordance with 

ISO 13297:2020

Small craft — Electrical systems — Alternating and direct current installations

1   Scope

This document specifies the requirements for the design, construction and installation of the following types of DC and AC electrical systems, installed on small craft either individually or in combination:
  • a) extra-low-voltage direct current (DC) electrical systems that operate at nominal potentials of 50 V DC or less;
  • b) single-phase alternating current (AC) systems that operate at a nominal voltage not exceeding AC 250 V.

Thankyou I will show my pal this. He’s a clever guy made lot’s of interesting diff bits and bobs. Likely he’s started reading up already.

And my old man will want to check everything about to be carried out, and afterwards too knowing him. He’s done lots of boats up over the years. My summer holidays consisted of sanding hulls and the like, and if we were lucky going to France and the channels islands to get parts and fuel! 

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

Think the kids spell it progativ nowadays 🤣

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, M_JG said:

What might be worth considering is next time the boat is out for blacking is getting a hull only survey just to reassure yourself.

Literally the plan at the minute, hoping everything goes to plan will be scoping out some boatyards I like over the rest of the year.

Then towards the end of the year, lift out and get a hull survey, then blacking, anodes and prop maintenance. 

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a new survey. Most folk on here recommending it are frightened of their own shadows. 

I suspect your attitude aligns quite closely with mine. Buy a boat you like, then deal with whatever problems (if any) that happen to crop up once you own it. 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a new survey. Most folk on here recommending it are frightened of their own shadows. 

I suspect your attitude aligns quite closely with mine. Buy a boat you like, then deal with whatever problems (if any) that happen to crop up once you own it. 

Here you go again.

But for the record I certainly was not 'recommending' one merely suggesting they might want to get one.

Now if you want to continue with this untill you end up being abusive about me resulting in another of your posts being hidden, you bat on Mike.

25 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Here you go again.

But for the record I certainly was not 'recommending' one merely suggesting they might want to get one.

Now if you want to continue with this untill you end up being abusive about me resulting in another of your posts being hidden, you bat on Mike.

You been on the sherbert again Martin?

Very uncalled for post, especially as Mike wasnt even responding to anything you said.