Canaline 42 missing or no service history

JDUK

Featured Posts

Hi

looking for advice. I’m in the process of buying a used but fairly new Narrowboat fitted with canaline 42 engine with 280hrs run in. Going through surveyor check at the moment. The existing silly owner hasn’t had it service yet, missing the 50 and 250 hours service intervals - potential voiding the warranty.  Should I be concerned / worried and would you still go ahead with purchase?

trying to manage heart vs brain emotions here as I have been looking for sometime. 

many thanks

16 minutes ago, JDUK said:

The existing silly owner hasn’t had it service yet, missing the 50 and 250 hours service intervals - potential voiding the warranty.  Should I be concerned / worried and would you still go ahead with purchase?

I'd suggest a call to Beta to find out for sure what they think the consequences might be and if they will still honour the warranty.

My own guess is nothing much will go wrong until much further down the line, when you might find a rebuild is necessary at 20,000 hours rather than 30,000.

Not sure Beta would have much to say about a Canaline engine...

1 minute ago, MtB said:

I'd suggest a call to Beta to find out for sure what they think the consequences might be and if they will still honour the warranty.

My own guess is nothing much will go wrong until much further down the line, when you might find a rebuild is necessary at 20,000 hours rather than 30,000.

Not sure Beta would have much to say about a Canaline engine...

Yes that’s my concern, struggle to think why the current owner wants to risk the warranty to save a few bob….given he/she spent a fortune.  Thanks I will call canal line in the morning.  

Guess my question is are they decent engine? Seems it’s popular on the network? 

will try and see if the current owner can cover the full service cost given the risk they are transferring to me.  

thanks 

13 hours ago, JDUK said:

Yes that’s my concern, struggle to think why the current owner wants to risk the warranty to save a few bob….given he/she spent a fortune.  Thanks I will call canal line in the morning.  

will try and see if the current owner can cover the full service cost given the risk they are transferring to me.  

thanks 

Many hire companies and share boat operators use them so that would suggest they are fairly robust and reliable. I certainly hope so as that is what we have fitted! 

On 15/01/2023 at 22:26, JDUK said:

thanks 

I'd keep quiet, after all who knows except you and foolish owner. 

Knock a thousand off price.

I believe one can have oil analysed etc etc, personally I'd buy it if it I liked it enough. Buying any boat comes with risk, in the next few years you will probably spend a few thousand on fripperies, instead, just build up a capital reserve and hope you don't have to spend it all in the next five years.