O Ring for Pumpout Socket 💩

Featured Posts

I'm trying to find somewhere that sells O rings that fit standard pump out sockets. (My boat is an ex hire boat, nowt special). The O rings I ordered from Midland Swindlers (they only do one size) are too big for my socket (matron). 🤔

The Midland Swindlers O ring has an outside diameter of 54mm (2 1/8" ) and an inside diameter of 44mm (1 3/4" ). So I need something smaller than that but preferably made from a similar thickness of rubber (5mm or so).

I dont know how to measure the diameter down in the depths of the pump out socket, so does anyone know what a standard size is for a pump out socket O ring, please? And if so, where can I order them from?

Thanks 😊💩💍

If you can get to someone like https://eriks.co.uk/en/about-eriks/locations/ who have branches nationally. Or there are similar independent bearing/engineering component suppliers, most have a Trade Counter where you can walk in and show them what you have and what you want. Hopefully they will have stocks of different sizes/materials and something will fit.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Alstonite said:

If you can get to someone like https://eriks.co.uk/en/about-eriks/locations/ who have branches nationally. Or there are similar independent bearing/engineering component suppliers, most have a Trade Counter where you can walk in and show them what you have and what you want. Hopefully they will have stocks of different sizes/materials and something will fit.

Thanks for the suggestion. Alas I dont have the original o-ring to be able to take it an o-ring merchant to match it.  I'm guessing pump out guy might have sucked it up.  🤔😃 That's why I'm hoping there's a common size of pumpout socket O-ring that someone might know about. 

Talk to Leesan. At Fenny Compton.

01295 770000.  They sell pump outs, pump out nozzles etc. As well as spares for them.  They have a web site, but I find it hard to navigate.

Or try an engineers merchant. If you have the old o ring, take that in.  Otherwise if you have to measure,  O rings are defined by the  inside diameter and the cross section diameter of the ring.

In your case the inside diameter will be the same, or slightly less than a standard pump out nozzle outside diameter  The section diameter will either be 3.0 mm, 5.7 mm or 8.4 mm.

The details of the standard nozzle are in  BS7162, I think.  I don't have access to these  but your local library may.  Or visit your nearest pump out armed with a tape measure.  Springwood , Alvecote or perhaps Glascote?

N

Edited by BEngo

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't realise there was a ring in them, I thought the ring fitted on the nozzle to seat against the top face of the deck fitting like in the photo.

Beat me to it.

I'm fairly sure that there is no internal O-ring and that (on mine) there is a cap sealing O-ring in the screw cap and that the pump-out nozzle has one (as per your picture)

Well wadda U know !

Leesan say there is an O-ring inside the housing :

Leesan complete stainless steel pump out deck fitting which conforms to international standards ISO8099 small craft - toilet waste retention systems.

• Connects to Probe and Screw quayside fittings
  • O Ring in housing ensures good seal to probe
  • Marine quality 316 stainless steel
  • Supplied with standard 16mm (5/8 inch) hexagon key cap
  • Suitable for 38mm hose (1 1/2"), 50mm (2") or 63mm (2 1/2")
  • Hole Diameter 65mm
  • Flange Dia. 100mm

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well wadda U know !

Leesan say there is an O-ring inside the housing :

Leesan complete stainless steel pump out deck fitting which conforms to international standards ISO8099 small craft - toilet waste retention systems.

• Connects to Probe and Screw quayside fittings
  • O Ring in housing ensures good seal to probe
  • Marine quality 316 stainless steel
  • Supplied with standard 16mm (5/8 inch) hexagon key cap
  • Suitable for 38mm hose (1 1/2"), 50mm (2") or 63mm (2 1/2")
  • Hole Diameter 65mm
  • Flange Dia. 100mm

Thanks Alan. So assuming that is a fairly standard pump out socket, do I need an o-ring with an outside diameter of 38mm or one with an outside diameter of 50mm, or an internal diameter of 38mm or internal diameter of 50mm?

(Can't be the 63mm figure because the 54mm OD o-ring from Midland Swindlers is too big for the lip on which the ring should sit)

Just now, BlueStringPudding said:

Thanks Alan. So assuming that is a fairly standard pump out socket, do I need an o-ring with an outside diameter of 38mm or one with an outside diameter of 50mm, or an internal diameter of 38mm or internal diameter of 50mm?

(Can't be the 63mm figure because the 54mm OD o-ring from Midland Swindlers is too big for the lip on which the ring should sit)

Maybe give leesan customer service a ring rather than relying on forum 'guesses'.

T: +44 (0) 1295 770000
F: +44 (0) 1295 770022
E: info@leesan.com

Lee Sanitation Ltd
Wharf Road,
Fenny Compton,
Warwickshire
CV47 2FE

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Personally I would get an adaptor that ensures a good seal between pump out nozzle and fitting. Very helpful on a lot of the DIY pump outs.

LeeSan Pump Out Adaptor Set

The middle one is one of these, it works well https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/lee-san-rubber-pump-adapter 

Wot I said several posts ago

N

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe give leesan customer service a ring rather than relying on forum 'guesses'.

T: +44 (0) 1295 770000
F: +44 (0) 1295 770022
E: info@leesan.com

Lee Sanitation Ltd
Wharf Road,
Fenny Compton,
Warwickshire
CV47 2FE

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm fairly sure that there is no internal O-ring and that (on mine) there is a cap sealing O-ring in the screw cap and that the pump-out nozzle has one (as per your picture)

In 20 odd years of viewing my pumpout socket (the mind boggles) I've never been aware of an o-ring. To ensue a good 'suck' my marina has a couple of plastic adaptors. 

As I understood it the actual nozzle is supposed to have an O ring on it that you push down onto the gap between the nozzle and fitting. The suction is supposed to hold the ring down to make a seal. Nothing to do with a ring in the fitting, although some may have them. It works so "well" I was happy to buy an adaptor.  The screw in ones do have an O ring so the one on the nozzle is not so important.

In fact many attended pup outs use an adaptor of one sort or another.

51 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If you are thinking of a cheapy Chineee electronic very near always  buy the belt feed attachment for the batteries. They use  SR44 like they are going out of fashion..

N

I always take the battery out when not in use.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I always take the battery out when not in use.

Me too.

And then when I need to use one, feck moi the battery is missing, AGAIN!

So now I use my Moore and Wright manual calliper with a proper vernier. A delight to use and NO BATTERIES.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Me too.

And then when I need to use one, feck moi the battery is missing, AGAIN!

So now I use my Moore and Wright manual calliper with a proper vernier. A delight to use and NO BATTERIES.

Its so long ago I can't remember how to read them

I found that a length of plumbing waste pipe, long enough to reach the bottom of the tank, fitted well into the pump out nozzle & with a turn of two of electricians tape formed a near perfect seal. I shaped the bottom of the pipe so it did not vacuum itself to the base of the tank.

1 hour ago, DaveR said:

I found that a length of plumbing waste pipe, long enough to reach the bottom of the tank, fitted well into the pump out nozzle & with a turn of two of electricians tape formed a near perfect seal. I shaped the bottom of the pipe so it did not vacuum itself to the base of the tank.

Presumably you didn't have any bends or angles in the hose / pipework from the top of the tank to the pump-out fitting.

We have several angles that I doubt you'd even get around with a hose pipe let alone a rigid waste pipe.