South Oxford Advice

rockfish

Featured Posts

Heading off down the south Oxford napton to anyho, next week just after any advice if possible, videos on line it looks very narrow tbh it sort of stressing me out. Hired narrowboat to relax. Just after some advice really is it really narrow, how’s the water levels at the moment. Is it likely to be busy any advice appreciated thanks

Only one really narrow section and that is the Fenny "tunnel". If you are concerned do that short stretch early in the morning or late in the afternoon when most are moored up. I have passed boats in the "tunnel" but it is tight, and you often have to push into the vegetation. For clarity, it was once a tunnel but has been opened up.

Can't comment on the water level at the moment, but I doubt you will have problems in a hire boat unless there is a problem in the Napton or Claydon lock flights.

Just remember canals tend to be shallow at the edges if there is no metal piling and don't cut across corners. If you do run aground stop at once and try off back off, trying to drive off forwards is likely to make the situation worse.

26 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We have been in the South Oxford many times over many years. It’s fine. As mentioned just South of Fenny Compton, the narrows. Don’t worry. You can see for a couple of miles, it’s very straight.

Unlike the rest of the Oxford summit!

Last week they were running water down towards Banbury and beyond on a daily basis. Boats were being held at Varney's most mornings until around 11am. Assume it was the same at other locks. Know about Varney's because I was on the slip with a grandstand view.

@Tony Brooks advice above is spot on.  The only other thing I would add is that there are a couple of bridges on blind bends (131 is one that springs to mind). Just slow down well in advance and be ready for someone coming the other way. You could sound your horn, but that does not obviate the need to slow down - another boater may not hear you or may not respond appropriately.

Ask yourself "If a boat appeared around the corner now, could I stop or take other avoiding action in time?". If the answer is "no" then you are either going too fast or your positioning is a bit wonky. 

17 hours ago, Slim said:

Last week they were running water down towards Banbury and beyond on a daily basis. Boats were being held at Varney's most mornings until around 11am. Assume it was the same at other locks. Know about Varney's because I was on the slip with a grandstand view.

Quite serious leakage at the moment between Cropredy Lock and Slat Mill. Dropped 10-12 inches overnight. 

Woke up this morning very much on the tilt 😀

Waited a while at Broadmoor Lock while CRT run some water down.

Other than that its all good so far and cant see there being much wrong with whats left to do (now on Summit and have come from Thames)

2 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Quite serious leakage at the moment between Cropredy Lock and Slat Mill. Dropped 10-12 inches overnight. 

Woke up this morning very much on the tilt 😀

Waited a while at Broadmoor Lock while CRT run some water down.

Other than that its all good so far and cant see there being much wrong with whats left to do (now on Summit and have come from Thames)

That must be quite a leak, doesnt a small river tributary flow in on that stretch? 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

That must be quite a leak, doesnt a small river tributary flow in on that stretch? 

Not as far as I know but that means very little. I am remarkable skilled in the art of not seeing things 😀

Its a biggish pound and alot of water going somewhere.My first thought was the paddles had been left up on Slat Mill but checked and they were down and gates shut.