Boat moving by road

Pluto

Featured Posts

During the 2WW, a number of large boats were moved by road in Germany. This photo, from the latest edition of Donau-Rundschreiben produced by the Shipping Museum in Regensburg, shows a 66m by 8m tanker barge being delivered from Dresden on the Elbe to Ingoldstadt on the Danube. At least 15 barges have been identified as having made the journey.

img028.jpg

• Greenie 4

50 minutes ago, john.k said:

If you look ,you can see the round front mudguard of a DiamondT  immediately behind the hull......and assume another on the other side 

My Grandad drove Diamond T's when on tank transport in North Africa and Italy in WW2....I wonder if the Diamond T's in the picture were German or Allied units as there doesn't seem to be a date on it.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Shouldnt be too big a problem, because unlike CRT navigations the vegetation has been cut back...

Lol, no-one so far has spotted the VAST flaw in my comment... look more closely at the picture....

• Greenie 1

Here’s a couple of photos , not mine, of 55m barges being moved in N.Ireland. They are Kempenar size ro be used for sand sucking on Lough Neagh. The company Witten moved my NB back from Ireland in 2000 but didn’t need such. Big truck

A1CC4611-B726-423B-AC40-740C32EFA771.jpeg

7BB09964-3C52-406F-9B3E-4965A0C9C0F4.jpeg

AFC6E5CD-9D0E-4B08-8E63-7ED091562ACA.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, john.k said:

Post WW2 for sure ..the trucks have different motors from original ........may even be a British contractor .

The caption says that they belong to the German Railways (Reichsbahn), "Reichs"  suggesting it was taken during the Hitler era.  If it were post-war, it would surely  have been the "Bundesbahn". 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

16 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

The caption says that they belong to the German Railways (Reichsbahn), "Reichs"  suggesting it was taken during the Hitler era.  If it were post-war, it would surely  have been the "Bundesbahn". 

Not necessarily. Deutsche Bundesbahn wasn't formed until 7 September 1949.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Bundesbahn

Most of these German boats seem to have been moved in 1940, so the vehicles are certainly not Allied ones, but Wehrmacht. Most eastern European countries around the Danube had naval fleets which the tankers would have been supplying, with oil probably coming from the Romanian oilfields, as well as those further east. Before the war, there was a fleet of UK tankers operating on the Danube.