Am I under the radar on C and H

LadyG

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Well it’s back far enough for Wikipedia to mention it.

...but so far back that it's off the radar of most people nowadays, unless they've been taught pre-1066 mediaeval history. Doesn't seem particularly amusing that many aren't aware of this, even if you are... 😉

(OTOH a lot of people have watched The Last Kingdom or read Cornwell's books, so maybe they're not all as stupid as you seem to think...)

Edited by IanD

29 minutes ago, IanD said:

(OTOH a lot of people have watched The Last Kingdom or read Cornwell's books, so maybe they're not all as stupid as you seem to think...)

Did I say they were stupid? I said they didn’t know that Yorkshire used to be in the Kingdom of Northumbria, obviously they’re not bothered about their county’s history.

Edited by PD1964

13 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Did I say they were stupid? I said they didn’t know that Yorkshire used to be in the Kingdom of Northumbria.

So you laughed at them because...?

Many people are unaware of many historical events because they weren't taught them at school, it all depends on what eras of history were covered at the time -- for example my own history classes had huge gaping holes in what they covered, in spite of the fact that I did history at O-level. It doesn't make people ignorant or deserving of being laughed at...

Edited by IanD

For some in the northernmost reaches of England, the North starts somewhere in North Yorkshire around the River Tees – the Yorkshire poet Simon Armitage suggests Thirsk, Northallerton or Richmond – and does not include cities like Manchester and Leeds, nor the majority of Yorkshire.

An interesting proposal 👍

If anyone might know it’s a Northern Northerner. 
I’d like to know how he comes up with his idea. 

Just now, Goliath said:

For some in the northernmost reaches of England, the North starts somewhere in North Yorkshire around the River Tees – the Yorkshire poet Simon Armitage suggests Thirsk, Northallerton or Richmond – and does not include cities like Manchester and Leeds, nor the majority of Yorkshire.

He's entitled to his opinion, as a poet -- which means, it has the same value as any other man-in-the-street, including me (and you).

It doesn't agree with the definition of the Government, or most historians, or most people.

Flat-earthers and climate change deniers have opinions too, but that doesn't make them valid ones... 😉

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

He's entitled to his opinion, as a poet -- which means, it has the same value as any other man-in-the-street, including me (and you).

It doesn't agree with the definition of the Government, or most historians, or most people.

Flat-earthers and climate change deniers have opinions too, but that doesn't make them valid ones... 😉

Well the Government Definition will help them collect their stats and impose boundaries for taxation, handouts and funding. 
Where I guess Armitage’s idea will be based largely on cultural differences, as well as geographical. 

I’ll have to read some of his stuff to find out. 

11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

He’s still far from the Northernmost reaches of England, which is Northumberland. I think it’s a Yorkshire thing , they seam to make a big thing about telling people they’re from “Up North”

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yep, the Yorkshire lot are a very proud bunch. 

I even hear people arguing about which part of Yorkshire they come from and how they’re not real Yorkshireman from South Yorkshire compared to North Yorkshire.

Edited by PD1964
  • Happy 1

42 minutes ago, Goliath said:

There's a big difference between Richmond and Northallerton, one is in the Dales, and the other the Vale of York ,(almost), no comparison. 

One steeped in history and the other a market town.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There's a big difference between Richmond and Northallerton, one is in the Dales, and the other the Vale of York ,(almost), no comparison. 

One steeped in history and the other a market town.

That maybe so. 
But the point was this Armitage is suggesting in his view that’s where the North starts. 

Just now, Goliath said:

That maybe so. 
But the point was this Armitage is suggesting in his view that’s where the North starts. 

I thought he must be from up that way but it turns out he’s from Marsden and went school in Linthwaite. 
So in his world he ain’t no Northerner?

Oh well, asked for clarification, advised to contact licencing officer, she is now back from leave and advises that the Rochdale has no time restriction on boaters, of course I'm not on the Rochdale, could this be a coded message!

I'm going to sit it out for another few days, I think the water situation on the C&H is pretty marginal.

Saw your boat a couple of weeks back on Kirklees Cut, came by. Now moored just up past you, the red boat. I've been told we can get up to our mooring at L35 if we book. We might have another run down to Wakefield before we do. 

Had to get home the other day but will say hello next time we are there.

• Happy 1

35 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Saw your boat a couple of weeks back on Kirklees Cut, came by. Now moored just up past you, the red boat. I've been told we can get up to our mooring at L35 if we book. We might have another run down to Wakefield before we do. 

Had to get home the other day but will say hello next time we are there.

No way Jim.     No stoppage notice issued but your pound has burst A new hole in the aqueduct appeared last Sunday and all the water went down the plughole.  CRT think a big repair will be ok, not a rebuild of the stonework, but its all slow and complicated. Need a long reach digger in the cut to avoid load on the aqueduct, so need a big crane to lift it in, so the overhead 'leccy cables need shrouding in case the crane touches them etc.  Cables done and scaffold steps down to cut done now built, but I reckon several more weeks before there is any water for you.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

No way Jim.     No stoppage notice issued but your pound has burst A new hole in the aqueduct appeared last Sunday and all the water went down the plughole.  CRT think a big repair will be ok, not a rebuild of the stonework, but its all slow and complicated. Need a long reach digger in the cut to avoid load on the aqueduct, so need a big crane to lift it in, so the overhead 'leccy cables need shrouding in case the crane touches them etc.  Cables done and scaffold steps down to cut done now built, but I reckon several more weeks before there is any water for you.

I know, can't see a problem with mooring in "your" pound. I realise I'll be coming down in the world a bit. Have you found anything useful? Got a post shovel from there a little while back.

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

I know, can't see a problem with mooring in "your" pound. I realise I'll be coming down in the world a bit. Have you found anything useful? Got a post shovel from there a little while back.

Our pound was ok for a bit, CRT opened both ends of lock 35 to keep a dribble coming in, but now the summit feed has gone and the dribble to us is not keeping up with the leakage. Us and Daisy got down lock 34 together yesterday and are now on the lock landing....nice spot. The third boat could not get into the lock, there is a bottom stop plank still in and so only 18" of water. CRT failed to help so that boat is now in the middle of what is left of the channel just above the lock 34. I still think the Rochdale is great.

Your pound is very clear, one cable drum, half of a gas bottle, two tyres, and a coil of cable....somebody has already had the cable...probably CRT.

What sort of place is this?, no pushbikes, no traffic cones, no shopping trolleys 😀

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, dmr said:

Our pound was ok for a bit, CRT opened both ends of lock 35 to keep a dribble coming in, but now the summit feed has gone and the dribble to us is not keeping up with the leakage. Us and Daisy got down lock 34 together yesterday and are now on the lock landing....nice spot. The third boat could not get into the lock, there is a bottom stop plank still in and so only 18" of water. CRT failed to help so that boat is now in the middle of what is left of the channel just above the lock 34. I still think the Rochdale is great.

Your pound is very clear, one cable drum, half of a gas bottle, two tyres, and a coil of cable....somebody has already had the cable...probably CRT.

What sort of place is this?, no pushbikes, no traffic cones, no shopping trolleys 😀

We get fine antiques and industrial history up here. I've got a lovely complete stubby clay pipe, a 6" dia iron ball - which is either a swingbridge turntable ball bearing or a Cromwell's army cannonball - there was a battle at Warland. Given it was in t'cut near the swingbridge, probably the former. A vintage aluminium teapot lid now in use on our boat teapot, several small tools (though some I recognise as my own, you know how they spring out of your hand when working over water).

So, back to movement, it seems any boat on the Rochdale is exempt from movement, my boat and @LadyG's are on the bottom of the Rochdale so we don't have to move. (I've done it now, that bit at the end of the Rochdale will now fill with CMers/NBTA members rushing up from Londonland😃).

3 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

We get fine antiques and industrial history up here. I've got a lovely complete stubby clay pipe, a 6" dia iron ball - which is either a swingbridge turntable ball bearing or a Cromwell's army cannonball - there was a battle at Warland. Given it was in t'cut near the swingbridge, probably the former. A vintage aluminium teapot lid now in use on our boat teapot, several small tools (though some I recognise as my own, you know how they spring out of your hand when working over water).

So, back to movement, it seems any boat on the Rochdale is exempt from movement, my boat and @LadyG's are on the bottom of the Rochdale so we don't have to move. (I've done it now, that bit at the end of the Rochdale will now fill with CMers/NBTA members rushing up from Londonland😃).

Tx @Jim B

Edited by LadyG