Where is everyone?

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

I think everyone thought the hot weather would make it busy everywhere, so they all stayed home making it quiet everywhere🤣🤣. September is the busiest month now usually anyway...when the silver surfers all come out to avoid the school holidays.

Lock keepers on the Thames been saying its much quieter than last year. Plus likely to have restricted lock opening times to save water soon, so will be even quieter.

Cropredy & Banbury are busy. That might be due to the recent low water levels in Banbury, Lock 29 - 30. 

I'm new to boating (April 2022), but am surprised how quiet it is on the canal network in terms of the amount of boats. Perhaps this is just to do the areas that I've visited thus far.... North Kilworth to Banbury. Lower Heyford to Warwick. Warwick to Cropredy. 

Every marina looks completely full though. Perhaps the price of diesel is a factor 🤔 

The price of diesel may be a factor in some cases, but I think the low water levels and the number of stoppages (certainly around here, W.Yorkshire) are what is inhibiting cruising.

The HNC lock 1E has to be booked 48 hours in advance. This was supposed to be a temporary measure over two years ago,stoppages on the Leeds Liverpool and the dreaded Rochdale ( which you have to book passage through some locks and have a good reason to transit, and be prepared to be quizzed as to your reason for transit) the Macclesfield and Peak Forest both have restrictions.

For people who liveaboard, either as continuous cruisers or in a marina, I suppose it's not too bad, but leisure boaters who I think are the majority, and set off for a few days, want to be reasonably sure of getting back to their home mooring.

10 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

The price of diesel may be a factor in some cases, but I think the low water levels and the number of stoppages (certainly around here, W.Yorkshire) are what is inhibiting cruising.

The HNC lock 1E has to be booked 48 hours in advance. This was supposed to be a temporary measure over two years ago,stoppages on the Leeds Liverpool and the dreaded Rochdale ( which you have to book passage through some locks and have a good reason to transit, and be prepared to be quizzed as to your reason for transit) the Macclesfield and Peak Forest both have restrictions.

For people who liveaboard, either as continuous cruisers or in a marina, I suppose it's not too bad, but leisure boaters who I think are the majority, and set off for a few days, want to be reasonably sure of getting back to their home mooring.

That's all quite startling. Yes, having a timeline/return date to stick to while boating can make the journey rather stressful....

On 15/07/2022 at 22:37, TheBiscuits said:

I've been overstaying on a 48 hour mooring for a week.

Not been nagged yet, and it's on the L&L so in the next few days I'm expecting CRT to padlock and ash the locks and suspend all mooring restrictions.

I'm not sure it would help if I did another 29 locks with the current water issues.  It was 14 inches below weir level a few days ago.

We got kicked out of Skipton the other day. Now that the locks are shut boat movements here are minimal. Mainly Day boats and longer term hire boats. Got to venture back into Skipton either today or tomorrow for water, diesel and pump out. Visit to Morrisons whilst there and Aldi on the way back out. 

Lincoln, not the place but the person, May I ask a question?  Has the sunken boat been removed yet from near Tooleys? If you don’t know what I’m on about, it means it has.

Edited by Nightwatch

36 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Lincoln, not the place but the person, May I ask a question?  Has the sunken boat been removed yet from near Tooleys?

Thank you for your question. Tooley's Boatyard own a narrowboat of wooden hull construction. It is moored by their boatyard, and has an automated pump to assist with keeping it afloat. When I spoke to them in May 2022, they said that their plan was to restore the boat. 

Just now, Lincoln Mansfield said:

Lincoln, not the place but the person, May I ask a question?  Has the sunken boat been removed yet from near Tooleys?

Prior to me becoming a boater/getting familiar with things, there was a sunken boat that someone was evidently living on at the time of the sinking..... I believe that the occupant and dog were saved. The boat has been removed. 

2 hours ago, Lincoln Mansfield said:

Thank you for your question. Tooley's Boatyard own a narrowboat of wooden hull construction. It is moored by their boatyard, and has an automated pump to assist with keeping it afloat. When I spoke to them in May 2022, they said that their plan was to restore the boat. 

Prior to me becoming a boater/getting familiar with things, there was a sunken boat that someone was evidently living on at the time of the sinking..... I believe that the occupant and dog were saved. The boat has been removed. 

Thank you for the second section of your reply. I am aware of the wooden historical vessel. I had met the owner of the boat that sadly sank, just enquiring as to wether it had been removed as it was becoming a bit of a fixture. I realise of course that with no or little insurance support these things take time. Pleased that both owner and dog are safely rehoused.

• Happy 1

What's the point of them quizzing you about reason for transitting the Rochdale? CRT haven't the power or means to verify anything you tell them? Eg family commitments, a new mooring, new job, work booked in a yard etc...

Quiet at Watford and Foxton, arrived at Watford yesterday and told we could go straight in behind the boat just entering the bottom lock and today arrived at Foxton, no other boats around and we came straight down in under an hour.  Both flights had helpful volunteers on who were happy to push a gate and let us operate the paddles.  See whether it is the same on the way back over the weekend.

Been on the Golly since mid June. Had a lovely bumble and visited Llangollen basin thrice over a few weeks, winding at Brynn Howel and then spending a few days on rings near the lift bridge between visits. No dramas and worked out the hire boat patterns. Evening cruising has been bliss.

But, we are in Covid recovery at the moment. Think we caught it at the Eistedfodd,  so have spent ten days in and around Ellesmere, with Crts blessing, whilst we get over it. All being well, off down the Monty tomorrow.