Where is everyone?

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Just nipped out for the weekend, never seen it so quiet on the moorings between Dunchurch & Braunston.

Most are completely empty, have only seen two boats. Perhaps they’re hiding in the overgrown edges :D 

Well I'm back home now but if I was still on the boat, and staying local, that's probably where I'd be. If I'm staying in the area over the weekend I usually head there to avoid the Napton to Braunston weekend mayhem. I've got to the stage now where I prefer the peace and quiet of the marina to that stretch at the weekend.

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Well I'm back home now but if I was still on the boat, and staying local, that's probably where I'd be. If I'm staying in the area over the weekend I usually head there to avoid the Napton to Braunston weekend mayhem. I've got to the stage now where I prefer the peace and quiet of the marina to that stretch at the weekend.

I’d have happily sat there and washed/polished stuff, but SWMBO wanted to cruise and chose the route which is to the winding hole before Napton locks and back :( 

Plenty of boats came past us at Rugeley this afternoon, two managed to bounce off us.  Now at Handsacre and the visitor moorings fairly full.  Had half a dozen boats pass us before 9am this morning.

Are the hire boat numbers down at the moment?

The cost of living increases might not be squeezing those folks who can pay £1000 or so to hire a narrowboat, but you never know. 

I wonder if the price of diesel is a factor in some boat owners cruising fewer miles/hours than they normally would? 

I usually get about 6-10 boats a day passing me, but I have a feeling that's a normal summer between Chester and Ellesmere Port.

I've been overstaying on a 48 hour mooring for a week.

Not been nagged yet, and it's on the L&L so in the next few days I'm expecting CRT to padlock and ash the locks and suspend all mooring restrictions.

I'm not sure it would help if I did another 29 locks with the current water issues.  It was 14 inches below weir level a few days ago.

8 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Are the hire boat numbers down at the moment?

The cost of living increases might not be squeezing those folks who can pay £1000 or so to hire a narrowboat, but you never know. 

I wonder if the price of diesel is a factor in some boat owners cruising fewer miles/hours than they normally would? 

I usually get about 6-10 boats a day passing me, but I have a feeling that's a normal summer between Chester and Ellesmere Port.

They will have paid that £1000 months ago, probably the end of last summer

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Just nipped out for the weekend, never seen it so quiet on the moorings between Dunchurch & Braunston.

Most are completely empty, have only seen two boats. Perhaps they’re hiding in the overgrown edges :D 

There was barely a space all the way along any Armco last Saturday afternoon, strange to have changed. The only quiet place last weekend unusually was the bit between Braunston turn and the first rather nasty bridge on the N Oxford, which is usually completely full, all year round. Only boats moored there were a few historics from the recent rally. 

8 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The only quiet place last weekend unusually was the bit between Braunston turn and the first rather nasty bridge on the N Oxford, which is usually completely full, all year round. Only boats moored there were a few historics from the recent rally. 

Perhaps word has spread that Miles Away is prone to barging his way through there at the weekend on his way to and from Dunchurch Pools.

29 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Perhaps word has spread that Miles Away is prone to barging his way through there at the weekend on his way to and from Dunchurch Pools.

I was very disappointed not to see Miles Away on my recent journey….I did however notice the widebeam in the Nelson pound at braunston causing a navigation hazard….and judging by the damage on the handrails some bridges have suffered too.

1 hour ago, Beo said:

Is there level access from those moorings into the pub? 

If I remember correct, yes there is level access. 
Canal side you enter through the side/back door and it’s on the level I’m sure. 

I think it’s the main door from the car park that has a few steps, but I can’t remember.

• Greenie 1

Sorry to say we are no longer CCer’s we have sold the boat and returned home to Goa India as my half German half Irish wife was born in Assam India so we have the right to live here so happy days but no boat! Only been back two weeks but do miss the boat life. Major surgery drove the move as I was not sure about being on the cut in a isolated spot and needing ambulance again. Lucky last time we were moored at Market Harbrough. 
So all the best to you all and happy boating. 

• Greenie 3

I take it all back, been a lot busier today. Amazing how its quiet until you step off with a rope to moor then the world and his dog comes past at speed as you cling on for dear life :D 

Was no space at Napton so turned and headed back until it got too damn hot, now near a farm that Google tells me is Thomas of Flecknoe.

10 hours ago, Beo said:

Is there level access from those moorings into the pub?  [Dog&Doublet Curdworth Flight]

spacer.png

steps at the front entrance, away fom the towingpath ...

spacer.png

... the back entrance, directly to the towing path. They do serve to the tables outside, if that is any use ...

spacer.png

the first camera angle is confusing, and this one shows it's a ramp.  ... and it was only yesterday that we were there  _sigh_

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic
  • Greenie 2

Plenty of boats going Atherstone this morning, fortunately we were coming up so didn't have to close any top gates. No volunteers on today, presume because of the expected heat, but much quicker without them getting in the way.