Anderton Boat Lift

Featured Posts

The booking system says the next available slot is still free, but you seem to have to book online, when there's both a booking fee and an administrative charge. There's no walk in facility. 

So how do you get the free slot? If you just turn up, who do you talk to for it as there seems to be no option online to say you're turning up, hoping for one? Has anyone managed it?

Just now, Jerra said:

Same here but I was wondering if things had changed.  You didn't have to book for Harecastle but now things are more restricted.

You still don't have to book for Harecastle, but you have to be there before noon.

Next available slot should be free. If it’s not then complain to customer services…they get logged…and the north west office. I personally object to paying…it’s a navigation asset not a theme park ride. I have made my feelings known to the senior CRT management numerous times….please do also complain as otherwise it looks like it’s just me! 

• Greenie 2

I thought that you could no longer walk down and either book a slot ( and pay £5) or take the next available slot for free and you had to book on line but when we were waiting to come down last week a boater told us to that you could just moor up and if a  space became available you could go down for free. Haven't tried it but with just one caison  working you might wait  a while . 

No idea if it is true 

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I thought that you could no longer walk down and either book a slot ( and pay £5) or take the next available slot for free and you had to book on line but when we were waiting to come down last week a boater told us to that you could just moor up and if a  space became available you could go down for free. Haven't tried it but with just one caison  working you might wait  a while . 

No idea if it is true 

They stopped walk down with Covid like lots of other things

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Next available slot should be free. If it’s not then complain to customer services…they get logged…and the north west office. I personally object to paying…it’s a navigation asset not a theme park ride. I have made my feelings known to the senior CRT management numerous times….please do also complain as otherwise it looks like it’s just me! 

I appreciate what you say but at £5 a trip I don't mind paying. It must cost  C&RT a fortune to maintain the lift and although our fiver is small  beer, every little helps 

Haggis 

26 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Just turn up and walk down to the office.

Announce your arrival and request the next available slot. 

that’s how I’ve done it

You can't walk down to the office any more. No walk in bookings. So who do you talk to? 

Best email CRT, I think. I washoping someone might have done it recently!

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

I appreciate what you say but at £5 a trip I don't mind paying. It must cost  C&RT a fortune to maintain the lift and although our fiver is small  beer, every little helps 

Haggis 

Where does it stop? Pay to go through Harecastle? Through a lock? Fill with water? Empty the rubbish? All the cost & booking system does is dissuade people from having a quick trip on the river….so next it’s underused and lock hours can be cut…the lift used by the trip boat only…the Weaver turns into a backdrop to some posh apartments….

As you might guess I’m rather passionate about this! 

• Greenie 1

You phone up and ask for the next available, it should be free. If you wanted to book a specific slot in advance, it costs money.

Some of the answers above are misleading - there is no facility to "walk in" any more. My info is based on phoning up less than a week ago.

26 minutes ago, haggis said:

Haggis 

I don't really mind paying, except it was made free to use for us on a turn up basis when they whacked the licence fees up a while back.  What I really object to is having to book, which means you are suddenly boating on a schedule which could break down any moment due to the usual lack of maintenance problems. Stress free boating it isn't.

And it's still advertised as available free, but without a clue as to how, without access to the downstairs office, you do it.

Anyway I've emailed to ask and will pass it on. Apparently they try to reply to emails within five working days - there's service for you!

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't really mind paying, except it was made free to use for us on a turn up basis when they whacked the licence fees up a while back.  What I really object to is having to book, which means you are suddenly boating on a schedule which could break down any moment due to the usual lack of maintenance problems. Stress free boating it isn't.

And it's still advertised as available free, but without a clue as to how, without access to the downstairs office, you do it.

Anyway I've emailed to ask and will pass it on. Apparently they try to reply to emails within five working days - there's service for you!

I whole heartedly agree Arthur.

However having looked at the website it clearly says:

Passage must be prebooked by signing in to your online account or telephone 0303 0404 040 to book.

5 minutes ago, Paul C said:

You phone up and ask for the next available, it should be free. If you wanted to book a specific slot in advance, it costs money.

Some of the answers above are misleading - there is no facility to "walk in" any more. My info is based on phoning up less than a week ago.

Thanks - just hope I've a phone signal. That's what needed to know.

13 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Did you use the generic 03030404040 number or did you find a direct line?

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’d still march down to the office and demand the next slot.

Claiming I haven’t a phone and suggesting they make the call on my behalf.

🙂

I don't think there's any access to the office any more. Daft, aint it?

10 minutes ago, Paul C said:

You could hop over the rope barrier, go down the stairs and bang on the glass of an unattended booth if you really want?

Isn't there an electrically operated locked access door to get through first

Just looked at booking on website and it appears to me as if you can still turn up on the day and take the next available slot. 
🤷‍♀️
The following implies there are staff onsite to deal with you should you just turn up:

Next available slot on the day is free of charge, this cannot be guaranteed and is only available if we have availability on that day. otherwise, charges apply.

Please ensure that you arrive at the holding area 30 minutes before the scheduled passage.

This window gives our staff an opportunity to visually check the boat for any potential issues, and more importantly, allows time for the safety briefing to be delivered and to answer any questions that might arise.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Isn't there an electrically operated locked access door to get through first

On the inside, museum side, but not from the outside door. 
unless things have changed. 

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Just looked at booking on website and it appears to me as if you can still turn up on the day and take the next available slot. 
🤷‍♀️
The following implies there are staff onsite to deal with you should you just turn up:

Next available slot on the day is free of charge, this cannot be guaranteed and is only available if we have availability on that day. otherwise, charges apply.

Please ensure that you arrive at the holding area 30 minutes before the scheduled passage.

This window gives our staff an opportunity to visually check the boat for any potential issues, and more importantly, allows time for the safety briefing to be delivered and to answer any questions that might arise.

On the inside, museum side, but not from the outside door. 
unless things have changed. 

When my wife and I passed through the lift last summer, I went downstairs into the museum and tapped on the window to get someone's attention. I asked for the next available slot and there was much confusion amongst the staff. Eventually he phoned headquarters to see if we could be accommodated, and indicated that that is what I should have done. Having made me feel like I was being something of a nuisance they let us straight into the lift, in fact I had to run to fetch the boat! 

Good luck!