Singlehanded. Asked to do swing bridges, not in a nice way.

LadyG

Featured Posts

Had a. very unpleasant experience, went through a lock with the other helm turning his back on me.

I had said three things

"Good morning"

and

"It's Lovely day"

Also thanked her for working the locks

No reply

Neither spoke to me until my parting shot.  I was quite restrained.

His female was fit and experienced, the only time they talked ie fell out was when he went up to assist on paddles and she had a go at him.

It must be obvious a singlehanded can't do L & L swing bridges. But I was told that I should be doing them!! In fact it was my fault for not having a single male with me, yes those were the exact words.

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1

I see Tracy Darth thinks I should be doing swing bridges ... They are operated on the offside, and I often get members of the public to do them for me, but not if a boater is going through.

• Unimpressed 1

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I see Tracy Darth thinks I should be doing swing bridges ... They are operated on the offside, and I often get members of the public to do them for me, but not if a boater is going through.

Many canal lift / swing bridges are operated on the 'wrong side' the Llangollen is particularly known for it - others (myself included) even when singlehanded, seem to cope. I'm sure you could develop a method of doing it (- say using a length of rope)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

I thought the usual practice was to moor up a 100 yard or so from the bridge then pounce when someone else opens it. 

There used to be a business boater around Skipton renowned for doing that.

At a swing bridge we'd always wave a single hander through. 

A lot of them do now have offside moorings, but not all. 

I have only eve seen one singlehander doing these bridges, he was fit young man, I and I was there to assist with his boat, he had to leap about eight feet. 

I don't need to leap eight feet, I could not leap four feet! What would be the point of risking life and limb.

9 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I thought the usual practice was to moor up a 100 yard or so from the bridge then pounce when someone else opens it. 

There used to be a business boater around Skipton renowned for doing that.

At a swing bridge we'd always wave a single hander through. 

A lot of them do now have offside moorings, but not all. 

That's it, glad someone knows the score.

I just hang back and wait for another boat. Glad I'm doing the right thing :).

I usually moor up as close as I can, but leaving the lock landing free.

There are no offside moorings

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Set the swing bridge in motion and then push fully open with your pole. 
Pull shut with the chain attached or tie a rope so you can pull shut. 

• Haha 1

Perhaps the guy on the other boat was a bit annoyed at you not helping at the lock. Without going up or down ladders the skipper could still step off and open/close paddles and gates. 

I know in the past I have felt I was "being taken advantage of " if a single hander just stood on the back of his boat while I worked the lock. 

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Set the swing bridge in motion and then push fully open with your pole. 
Pull shut with the chain attached or tie a rope so you can pull shut. 

That works if the bridge works and there is a chain.

I've tried that a few times, and its not worked.

By

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Perhaps the guy on the other boat was a bitirl to doed at you not helping at the lock. Without going up or down ladders the skipper could still step off and open/close paddles and gates. 

I know in the past I have felt I was "being taken oubling up.adwvantage of " if a single hander just stood on the back of his boat while I worked the lock. 

No, they started attitude before we were in the lock. Neither spoke to me, at all, and the guy turned his back on me, could not have been more unp?easant.

I understand some folks want to be selfish.

But there is no water on the L&L, so I was confident I should be doubling up

I did the beam on my side, but I left the girl to do the paddles

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

If no chain tie a rope. 
but 9 times out of 10 you can reverse/stop with stern to the off side to shut the swing bridge. 

Anything is possible. I am just pottering along. Are you saying I must operate a swing bridge?

I don't hinder another boat.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No, they started attitude before we were in the lock. Neither spoke to me, at all, and the guy turned his back on me, could not have been more unp?easant.

I understand some folks want to be selfish.

But there is no water on the L&L, so I was confident I should be doubling up

I did the beam on my side, but I left the girl to do the paddles

Anything is possible. I am just pottering along. Are you saying I must operate a swing bridge?

I don't hinder another boat.

Not saying that at all. 
Just giving you some advice if you need it. 

If you don’t feel safe doing them single handed then wait for help. 

Some people are just weird and socially inadequate: If they’re rude, then ignore them. In fact, wind them up further, and be super super nice 😊.  

• Greenie 1

I think as a single hander sharing locks you need to be seen to be willing to do your fair share of the work even if the other crew are happy to largely work you through while you stay at the helm. 

I can't comment on L&L swing bridges directly but I know of some such bridges where it isn't practical for a single hander to stop and work the bridge and let another boat through at the same time.

The comment about not having a male crew member is utter rubbish and perhaps betrays that your companions have a chip on their shoulder that disadvantaged you from the outset.

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Some people are just weird and socially inadequate.

A good friends brother has aspergers, he really doesn't cope when new people speak to him, he gets really jittery and anxious to the point he usually just ignores them and walks off to find quite... once he gets to know and trust you he's OK... everyone's different...

Edited by Quattrodave
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

A good friends brother has aspergers, he really doesn't cope when new people speak to him, he gets really jittery and anxious to the point he usually just ignores them and walks off to find quite... once he gets to know and trust you he's OK... everyone's different...

Fair enough. Good point. 
And a reminder to treat people with respect. 

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

I don't think this was the problem, one can usually recognise folks who struggle with interaction with others, and take it as  it comes.

No this was some sort of attitude. 

I've let them go a day ahead, but this being the L&L', I'll no doubt see them again.

Last time I did the L&L there were swing bridges I couldn't do on my own. And I was in my forties then, and I gather they've got worse. I stick to narrow canals now, or wide but no swing bridges.

The other boaters attitude was ridiculous. Sounds like they were in the middle of a row and took it out on you.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think as a single hander sharing locks you need to be seen to be willing to do your fair share of the work even if the other crew are happy to largely work you through while you stay at the helm. 

Single handing is made difficult by all the politeness which goes with meeting people. 
I find it helps when sharing a flight to establish who’s doing what from the start.  For instance I’m very happy to leave the lock last and close the gates while the crew on the other boat sets the next lock. 
If im with someone who knows what they are doing only one gate needs opening and shutting anyway. 
And I’ll happily work the paddles. 

I have over time come to accept help more readily and not worry about it. People do genuinely want to help. 

But yes, you got show willing and do something to help in return. 
Just stepping off and pulling the gate shut behind is simple enough. Something I notice a steerer with crew doesn’t often do. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I agree, some single handers are great and do their bit to help, hopping on and off, climbing ladders and doing their share of the work. I have however, been stuck with single handers who don't help at all.

My wife steers and I do the locks and we progress nicely, but with an uncooperative single hander, instead of having to open and close two gates, I have to dash round opening 4. It is also a slower process, two boats entering and leaving the lock. Working hard on 4 paddles and 4 gates whilst watching a single hander standing at the tiller can be a bit frustrating.

Rudeness however is unforgivable.

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Single handing is made difficult by all the politeness which goes with meeting people. 
I find it helps when sharing a flight to establish who’s doing what from the start.  For instance I’m very happy to leave the lock last and close the gates while the crew on the other boat sets the next lock. 
If im with someone who knows what they are doing only one gate needs opening and shutting anyway. 

I have over time come to accept help more readily and not worry about it. People do genuinely want to help. 

Just stepping off and pulling the gate shut behind is simple enough. Something I notice a steerer with crew doesn’t often do. 

I have a very similar view of things. Closing up is easier for a single hander than prepping and one gate is straightforward for a short boat leaving a double lock last. It works best if each do there own side in the main otherwise. And where is that men who won't leave the helm of a boat when it's in a lock think it's going to disappear to?

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

If there is something I can do to help,eg pushing a beam I will do it, but frankly, an experienced crew has their own routine, and will be much more efficient.

another person, unknown person tends to make it more difficult.

it's quite possible that youngsters don't realise that others are not able to do things that they take for granted.

I know i require everything to be in my favour, I can no !never leap from one lock side to another.

THis is why I no longer race yachts/horses / bicycles

14 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

I agree, some single handers are great and do their bit to help, hopping on and off, climbing ladders and doing their share of the work. I have however, been stuck with single handers who don't help at all.

My wife steers and I do the locks and we progress nicely, but with an uncooperative single hander, instead of having to open and close two gates, I have to dash round opening 4. It is also a slower process, two boats entering and leaving the lock. Working hard on 4 paddles and 4 gates whilst watching a single hander standing at the tiller can be a bit frustrating.

Rudeness however is unforgivable.

How would you suggest I help you?

I don't see you have to rush anywhere to be honest, if I leave the helm of my boat I have to use centreline etc, 

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If there is something I can do to help,eg pushing a beam I will do it, but frankly, an experienced crew has their own routine, and will be much more efficient.

it's quite possible that youngsters don't realise that others are not able to do things that they take for granted.

I know i require everything to be in my favour, I can not !eap from one lock side to another.

I don't see you have to rush anywhere to be honest, if I leave the helm of my boat I have to use centreline etc, 

I m seventy five years old.

I can't jump on to the roof.

I can climb lock ladders, but to what effect, then my boat needs to be controlled by centreline

If you want to steer my boat , I will do the locks.

Let me know well in advance, it will take three times as long.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I know i require everything to be in my favour, I can no !never leap from one lock side to another.

It’s not a question of rushing anywhere. 
Just one tip when sharing:

when entering a lock step off before the gate and then close the gate as your boat drifts/passes through. Even if there’s someone waiting to close the gate for you. Step off regardless, show willing. 

And when the gate is shut open the paddle on your side. If there’s crew they won’t mind you getting back on your boat as it goes down. 

So you’ll have closed a gate and opened a paddle. With out using a centreline. 

How do you manage in wide locks on your own? You must need to secure your boat then. Cc'ing sounds like quite hard work for you at the mo - not helped when people are being grumpy of course.