Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Firstly I'm not certain who dictated that this thread---

Well it started with Goliath wanting a challenge. Other waterways have appeared on this thread, that is true, but the key theme was first intended to be UK and that is why I STARTED it.

As stated there are some who have a knowledge of foreign waterways, wherever they are, on this site and there are others that do not. Contributors such as Pluto can have an extensive knowledge in this regard, but I still feel that a separate thread should be needed as there are those who have less knowledge.

Sometimes it can lead to some useful images being posted such as the last. It would be of interest to know the date.

Gloucester Docks is the location for SARACEN in an image from 1985.

Choosing images from around the world does have its merits however,

image 50.jpg

Edited by Heartland

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The Newbold Coleorton end of the Charnwood Canal??

Nearly right Matty, It is Blackbrook resevoir. It was originally built to serve the canal with an earth dam which breached. The site was then reused to construct a new masonry dam around 1900 to improve the water supply to Loughborough. The photo and further ones show the construction of this dam around 1900 - the resevoir opened for use in 1906. The photos can be found here http://geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/quickSearch?CSRF=alf5xRxUluB9HrlqWHJi&newSearch=true&quickSearch=true&includeImplicitCategoryMembers=true&keywords=blackbrook

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

but the key theme was first intended to be UK and that is why I STARTED it.

Having looked back at the first few posts in this thread, that intention doesn't appear to be anywhere stated.

And it is a well established practice on this forum that a thread originator does not own the topic, and can't control where it goes subsequently. That said, this thread has stayed pretty much on-topic.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

No an originator does not own a thread, but does hope that the purpose is adhered to and whilst no direction was given in the world the choice of images has been generally UK connected and there is a valuable thread of instruction included such as the latest on Blackbrook. Hence it is useful to give thought to the image chosen and what it will achieve. Showing a short section of canal without some form of features so as to make it recognisable is not helpful.

As to the last image the sub continent is correct, but not the country. This long navigation did however have a similar name to a English Waterway

On 15/01/2024 at 13:29, Heartland said:

Showing a short section of canal without some form of features so as to make it recognisable is not helpful.

Can you direct us to postings that you refer to here out of interest? 

It feels like you are  deliberately trying to deter folk from contributing images on this thread.

It’s a shame as quite a few of us were enjoying and learning much from this thread. 

13 hours ago, Pluto said:

I promise this is in the UK! The railway bridge abutments in the distance signify one reason this bit of canal was built. I took the photo in 1975.

1975.jpg.jpg

Is that the stub of the Lancaster Canal southern section at Wigan? The bit beyond the top of the locks? 

Correct. It is a bit more overgrown now, and the road bridge and rail bridge abutments seem to have disappeared. The change seems to have happened by 1990, when this view in the opposite direction was taken.

Lancaster arm and bridge, Aspull  729.jpg

Here is one from Gordon Biddle's collection, taken in 1961.

Lock 27-6-1961, Gordon Biddle 6:150.jpg

Well in response to Stroudwater comments, people did not get the answer until a second image was posted. Which can be the case sometimes, but this view could be one of several locations.

IMG_2024-01-01-082213.thumb.jpeg.1113c775aaed656e7aed01e6c1b49604 (1).jpeg

The image posted in my thread was on the internet as Chennai, Buckingham Canal which is is Southern India not Sri Lanka. And, Is another place without local knowledge can be hard to identify

Q E D

Edited by Heartland

12 hours ago, Pluto said:

Here is one, taken in England, from Gordon Biddle's collection, taken in 1961.

I have bumped this up as it was not easily seen in my previous post

4 minutes ago, Pluto said:

You need to be a further south, but only a little.

I want to say it's got a look of the Stroudwater about it but the only lock which might match would be Ryeford but I'm 99% sure it's not.

Edited to add: Looking more at it I'm now 100% sure it's not.

Edited by IanM

On 15/01/2024 at 13:29, Heartland said:

As to the last image the sub continent is correct, but not the country. This long navigation did however have a similar name to a English Waterway

I've had to look this up, but I see there is also a Buckingham Canal in India, so is it that? 

Beyond answering this I shall keep international stuff to the other thread!

Thanks Patrick, it make it possible then for the difficult images such as Gordon Biddle to ponder on. Yes it is the Buckingham Canal in India

Gordon took pictures of waterways and railways

The Coombe Hill canal had no locks as far as I can find. 

If you go south of Droitwich Barge canal far enough then you might reach the Stroudwater as suggested or the Thames & Severn . RCHS members visited both as they did the Leominster and the Hereford & Gloucester and images from various collections are starting to appear on the RCHS Website.

One RCHS visit, in the 1990's, was to a Scottish Location where John Miller was keen to investigate this canal and lock. He concluded it was used for timber transport but where could it be and what is its name?

408901.jpg

Edited by Heartland

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

The Coombe Hill canal had no locks as far as I can find. 

The Coombe Hill Canal had one lock, at its junction with the River Severn. Following the canal's closure this was replaced with a sluice.

On 17/01/2024 at 09:48, Pluto said:

Here is one from Gordon Biddle's collection, taken in 1961.

As there were no takers, this is the Ivel Navigation, Clifton Lock, taken on 27-6-1961

Not a canal but lots of canalboats. The photo was taken by Geoff Wheat in 1966 and was titled simply Hull - but which dock?

1966 Hull 277.jpg

• Greenie 1

The Ivel Navigation that joins the Great Ouse is perhaps farther than indicated, but is still a valuable record of a former waterway.

As to the Scottish question it is a canal located near South Morrar and the view is from the canal into the "loch) and to the headland of another part of the shoreline.

The lock also deserves some comment-

408904.jpg

With regards to Coombe Hill Canal the early ordnance survey of the 1830's does not indicate a lock at the Severn, but then the scale to which the map was made might not show it anyway. The first ordnance survey was as published after the canal was abandoned, but still shows a lock, The 25 inch scale indicates a mitred pair of bottom gates and a single top gate. Which raises the question as to the type of craft that used the Coombe Hill Canal.

219802.jpg

As to the Scottish image the posting was to discover if anybody knew of this waterway. It is the Arisaig Canal and the 6 in ordnance for Inverness shire shows the route.

205001.jpg

And now a more simpler image which links a waterway with the iron industry as well as engineering

900471.jpg

Edited by Heartland