Instant gas hot water

PabloC

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No, its not approved unless its Balanced or forced flued on a new installation.

Unless the BSS folks have done another U turn in recent times, use of an open flued instantaneous water heater is completely OK.

I have installed one in one of our boats, and it has passed two BSS inspections without issue.

3 hours ago, Balloon said:

Are you not allowed a gas fridge any more? We always had one when I was growing up on our boats and I was considering getting one for my boat the other day. 

Again this is fine.  Our current boat has one.

Obviously, as stated, the rising price of bottled gas makes this somewhat less attractive, but some people probably pay far more to use a petrol generator to support an electric fridge.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

I've wondered if I could plumb my webasto for direct hot water as I don't use it for heating. There must be a way and it's pretty darn quick. Possibly rather uncontrollable though and a bit slow to start up and stop. :) OK, yes, that was a stupid idea.

Not as stupid as my idea to use the Paloma for central heating 😬

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think Arthur is 'over egging the pudding' a little to make a point.

Yes you can have a gas fridge - unless you have a petrol engine. (Petrol fumes and a naked flame low down in the boat do not play well together - well they do, but only one-time)

Not really over-egging, every time I ask anyone about this I get a different answer. I wouldn't trust a boat safety bloke to give correct advice or information as far as I could throw them.

Luckily, I've still got my gas fridge and Rinnai water heater from yonks ago so I don't have to worry. The only gas leaks I've suffered so far have all been traced to fittings insisted on by the Safety test. 

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Have you seen the price of gas?

i was going to say gas is still cheaper than generating your own leccy for a leccy fridge, but then I remembered solar panels...

On 01/06/2022 at 14:29, Tracy D'arth said:

With the ever rising price of bottled gas, I would stay on the immersion unless your electricity supplier is ripping you off. You do know that the supplier can only charge the price they pay for the electricity?

Plus Standing Charge?

When I first took a mooring at Calcutt the yearly charge was quite attractive even when the hefty 'entry fee' (since scrapped) was included. But when they asked me for £100 more than the website said it would be, it turned out the £100 was for the costs of providing electricity supply. I said I didn't want electric but they said it wasn't optional, I had to pay for it whether I used it or not!

On 01/06/2022 at 14:29, Tracy D'arth said:

With the ever rising price of bottled gas, I would stay on the immersion unless your electricity supplier is ripping you off. You do know that the supplier can only charge the price they pay for the electricity?

At our house we've just received our new tarrif from the electricity supplier. The old rate was 16.3p per kwh, the new unfixed rate is 33p and the fixed for a year price is 45p per kwh. As this is for a domestic home the price is capped. A marina is a business so their price won't be capped and is likely much higher.

Edited by Alway Swilby
To remove duplication

On 01/06/2022 at 20:36, MtB said:

You do make me laugh Alan.

1) BSS been 'reviewing' open flue appliances since the dawn of time.

Go on, do quote the BSS rule banning them.

Even if they did I can't see them trying to make people remove them if they were there for the previous inspection, just like catalytic heaters .