Best route t’norf.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

At the end of the month we are heading ooop norf. We have done this before and we went via Nantwich, basically avoiding the Harecastle tunnel. Anyway, this time we are considering doing the Harecastle.

Is this a better route?

We have considered going across country on the Huddersfield or Rochdale but our intention is to spend a bit of time in Adlington/Chorley area as this is where I was brung up and my brother may well travel from the Southern area to stay and have a reminiscent time. So we would prefer to be on the western end of the L&L.

I prefer the T&M to the Shroppie, so the direct route is T&M which then becomes the Bridgewater then straight on to Wigan and up the Wigan flight on the L&L.

The tunnel is long and low but otherwise ok.

A more exciting route would be through the tunnel then turn onto the Macc up to the Peak Forest, a quick there and back diversion to Bugsworth then down the Marple flight to Portland Basin. Then either the HNC or right down the Ashton into Manchester and back up the Rochdale. Then over to Leeds to get the L&L at that end.,

The Shroppie is very isolated. Once you leave Wolverhampton which is nothing to write home about, your next proper town is Nantwich. I appreciate there's Market Drayton, but I've moored overnight there numerous times and never found the town!

Good thing about the T&M is there's a convenient canal side town almost every night. Stone, Stoke (Etruria), Red Bull, Wheelock, Middlewich, Barnton/Northwich, Lymm etc....

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

The Harecastle tunnel makes a for pleasant trip, why avoid it?

We did but considering not doing this time. We have a big ugly top box. We could empty it and put it inside the boat for the tunnel.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, junior said:

The Shroppie is very isolated. Once you leave Wolverhampton which is nothing to write home about, your next proper town is Nantwich. I appreciate there's Market Drayton, but I've moored overnight there numerous times and never found the town!

Good thing about the T&M is there's a convenient canal side town almost every night. Stone, Stoke (Etruria), Red Bull, Wheelock, Middlewich, Barnton/Northwich, Lymm etc....

Regarding Market Drayton. We unexpectedly got held up at the top lock at Tyrely (spell check) and walked into Market Drayton a number of times. Walked back once in the dark with loads of shopping. My wife carried a white torch in front and I wore a head torch back to front showing a red light behind us on the country roads. Ingenious if I say so myself.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Regarding Market Drayton. We unexpectedly got held up at the top lock at Tyrely (spell check) and walked into Market Drayton a number of times. Walked back once in the dark with loads of shopping. My wife carried a white torch in front and I wore a head torch back to front showing a red light behind us on the country roads. Ingenious if I say so myself.

I did that walk with a torch and remember the mud being so thick and sticky it was almost like wading!

Market Drayton looked quite nice, tbf

Audlem village is a nice stop too.

35 minutes ago, dmr said:

A more exciting route would be through the tunnel then turn onto the Macc up to the Peak Forest, a quick there and back diversion to Bugsworth then down the Marple flight to Portland Basin. Then either the HNC or right down the Ashton into Manchester and back up the Rochdale. Then over to Leeds to get the L&L at that end.

Down the River Trent, up the the A&C to Leeds and across to Chorley?  Gargrave is closed until mid-May though.

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

You can't stop there... who were the indicators?  :)

57 minutes ago, dmr said:

I prefer the T&M to the Shroppie, so the direct route is T&M which then becomes the Bridgewater then straight on to Wigan and up the Wigan flight on the L&L.

A more exciting route would be through the tunnel then turn onto the Macc up to the Peak Forest, a quick there and back diversion to Bugsworth then down the Marple flight to Portland Basin. Then either the HNC or right down the Ashton into Manchester and back up the Rochdale. Then over to Leeds to get the L&L at that end.,

And you can get Oatcakes at Westport Lake

1 hour ago, dmr said:

If the L&L closures are ended, mid May I think. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

The Harecastle tunnel makes a for pleasant trip, why avoid it?

I hate that ruddy tunnel.

I know its not the narrowest or lowest but the constantly changing roof profile I found very disorientating. Its the only tunnel I ever hit the cabin front on. And tore our canopy in the process. (Should have dropped it before entering).

I would happily do the 'more locks route' and avoid it.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

I hate that ruddy tunnel.

[...]

I would happily do the 'more locks route' and avoid it.

There's probably less locks on the Shroppie route than the T&M route depending on where Martyn is starting from.

Autherley Junction to Middlewich Junction is 58 miles and 61 locks via the S&W / T&M route or 52 miles and 33 locks via the Shroppie.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

There's probably less locks on the Shroppie route than the T&M route depending on where Martyn is starting from.

Autherley Junction to Middlewich Junction is 58 miles and 61 locks via the S&W / T&M route or 52 miles and 33 locks via the Shroppie.

I hadnt checked recently but when I last did I was sure there was more.

Maybe some have been 'ironed' out?

If there is less locks then its a no brainer, or it would be for me.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And you can get Oatcakes at Westport Lake

More important you can get beer at the Holy Inadequate in Stoke to get emotionally prepared for the tunnel.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

At the end of the month we are heading ooop norf. We have done this before and we went via Nantwich, basically avoiding the Harecastle tunnel. Anyway, this time we are considering doing the Harecastle.

Is this a better route?

We have considered going across country on the Huddersfield or Rochdale but our intention is to spend a bit of time in Adlington/Chorley area as this is where I was brung up and my brother may well travel from the Southern area to stay and have a reminiscent time. So we would prefer to be on the western end of the L&L.

Where’s your starting and end point?

13 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Claydon South Oxford to Chorley Leeds & Liverpool. (Or thereabouts). We tend to take our time and not hurry.wehave done this trip before about five years ago.

You can't stop for 14 days in the tunnel, beside the dog wouldn't like it

👍

right

so how much do you like brum and the BCN?

I ask because I like the BCN and if travelling with time on my side I’d definitely do a bit  of Birmingham. 
And maybe do some bits you ain’t done before. 
And that for me would mean leaving via Wolverhampton.

and then I’d make me decision whether to go up Shroppie or Staff and Worcestershire to  the Trent and Mersey. 

Dunno 😃

Any plug for the BCN 

But I also think I’d skip the Rochdale or Huddersfield and head straight to Wigan and up onto L&L

• Happy 1

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You can't stop for 14 days in the tunnel, beside the dog wouldn't like it

Nor would I.

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

👍

right

so how much do you like brum and the BCN?

I ask because I like the BCN and if travelling with time on my side I’d definitely do a bit  of Birmingham. 
And maybe do some bits you ain’t done before. 
And that for me would mean leaving via Wolverhampton.

and then I’d make me decision whether to go up Shroppie or Staff and Worcestershire to  the Trent and Mersey. 

Dunno 😃

Any plug for the BCN 

But I also think I’d skip the Rochdale or Huddersfield and head straight to Wigan and up onto L&L

We haven’t dun Brum by boat. We’d like to, but probably not do this time. Perhaps on the way back Sarf.

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Nor would I.

We haven’t dun Brum by boat. We’d like to, but probably not do this time. Perhaps on the way back Sarf.

Not done Brum!!

Not done Brum!!

it possibly the best part of the system.  

😃

yes do it on the return journey 👍

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1