Smokeless Rubbish?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Mainly because your Government has an interest in promoting Electric, had they decided to go the Hydrogen route there would have been multiple fuelling stations instead. I presume it's all down to brown envelopes

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Mainly because your Government has an interest in promoting Electric, had they decided to go the Hydrogen route there would have been multiple fuelling stations instead. I presume it's all down to brown envelopes

Actually I think its more down to practicality and ease of implementation.

24 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Have a look at why its not going to work before thinking its a good idea

1 hour ago, manxmike said:

It's not, it's down to fundamental problems with using hydrogen as a means to store/transfer energy -- which is what is is when used as an alternative to batteries. Your presumption is simply wrong.

Apart from searching the forum (where this subject comes up with monotonous regularity...) please go and read up some proper analysis on the subject. SEWTHA is a very good place to start... 😉

https://www.withouthotair.com/

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, manxmike said:

If there was an excess of green electricity generation it would make sense to store the high grade energy somewhere, and hydrogen may then make sense.

At the moment we are burning gas, to the great delight of Putin, to charge EVs and there is no excess energy. What we really need is a few new nuclear power stations.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Mikexx said:

If there was an excess of green electricity generation it would make sense to store the high grade energy somewhere, and hydrogen may then make sense.

At the moment we are burning gas, to the great delight of Putin, to charge EVs and there is no excess energy. What we really need is a few new nuclear power stations.

We don't buy gas from Russia, and micro nuclear reactors are on order 

4 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Hydrogen doesn't make sense, because you only get back about a third of the energy that you put in. There are many far better ways of storing energy -- and even other inefficient ones based on chemical storage are better than hydrogen. If there was a limitless supply and excess of free green energy this wouldn't matter, but there isn't.

Agreed about nuclear power, except it's very expensive, takes far too long to build, and nobody wants it in their back yard. Apart from that, it's great...

Edited by IanD

30 minutes ago, peterboat said:

We don't buy gas from Russia, and micro nuclear reactors are on order 

That's not true, despite our reserves we import gas from Russia, albeit low quantities. The rest is largely from our dwindling North Sea gas supplies, now nominally 50% and was near 100% in 2000. And there are many attempts to stop further NG exploration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58637094

We also create the demand for gas, so it really doesn't matter where it's sourced. If we contribute to causing a rising price through demand, then that is to Putin's advantage.

While there is a lot of hot air for micro nuclear reactors I wasn't aware of any orders, apart from for Vailent and Dreadnought class submarines. I would be grateful for a link for this 'order'?

42 minutes ago, IanD said:

Hydrogen doesn't make sense, because you only get back about a third of the energy that you put in. There are many far better ways of storing energy -- and even other inefficient ones based on chemical storage are better than hydrogen. If there was a limitless supply and excess of free green energy this wouldn't matter, but there isn't.

Agreed about nuclear power, except it's very expensive, takes far too long to build, and nobody wants it in their back yard. Apart from that, it's great...

Hydrogen only makes sense if you have a surplus of green energy. It could also be a sink for nuclear power to stabilise the grid. Currently it's not a practical solution.

It is expensive for the planet not to build nuclear power stations.

11 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Hydrogen only makes sense if you have a surplus of green energy. It could also be a sink for nuclear power to stabilise the grid. Currently it's not a practical solution.

It is expensive for the planet not to build nuclear power stations.

The problem nuclear (fission) has nowadays is that -- apart from taking many years to bring online, and nobody wanting to live near it, and the nuclear waste problem -- it now costs a lot more than solar or wind renewable energy, and needs a massive up-front investment which governments don't want to pay for and neither does the private sector nowadays, because they think that renewables plus energy storage will make it an obsolete white elephant.

Yes renewables are sporadic so storage is needed (and is still a problem) but though nuclear is great at providing (expensive) baseload power it's no longer seen as attractive. Of course this will change when fusion power comes along and delivers the cheap clean unlimited energy promised -- that has been 20 years away for the last 60 years... 😞

Got a letter from e.on this morning advising us of their new electricity prices w.e.f 1st April. We are still on the standard tariff which they say is at present the cheapest available (not down to any positive action on my part, just my inaction in not taking up any of their deals in previous years!) . Present/new prices in pence.

Standing charge  per day:  28.585/43.385

Unit cost: 21.985/30.799

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Horror 1

39 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Got a letter from e.on this morning advising us of their new electricity prices w.e.f 1st April. We are still on the standard tariff which they say is at present the cheapest available (not down to any positive action on my part, just my inaction in not taking up any of their deals in previous years!) . Present/new prices in pence.

We are with EON I think its still 16pish a unit?

48 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Our fixed term with Octopus expired last October just before prices started going stratospheric.

We jumped and fixed it for 2 years which I am really glad we did now. Hopefully Octopus won't go belly up during the term. I can't see the price dropping much if at all before Oct 2023.

Octopus.JPG

22 hours ago, Mikexx said:

You simply don't know how dirty a modern diesel is.

I'm often amazed at what comes out of the back of some very modern looking diesel cars. Something must have broken in the exhaust because the smoke and particulate matter they produce is horrendous. I don't know how they get through their MOTs? When diesels became really popular in the 90s and we were all encouraged to drive them to reduce carbon emissions I don't think the MOT tested for PM just NOx, CO2, etc, but surely they test for it now?

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm often amazed at what comes out of the back of some very modern looking diesel cars. Something must have broken in the exhaust because the smoke and particulate matter they produce is horrendous. I don't know how they get through their MOTs? When diesels became really popular in the 90s and we were all encouraged to drive them to reduce carbon emissions I don't think the MOT tested for PM just NOx, CO2, etc, but surely they test for it now?

Visible smoke is now an MOT fail for diesels with a DPF.

Non Dpf equipped are allowed a small amount.

The car has to be up to temp. Its sometimes possible to get a car to pass by giving it a good thrashing before testing.

Allegedly.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Bargain! 

Cheap compared to running your own shed genny on red diesel and making your own leccy.

..... or IS it? 

18 minutes ago, Loddon said:

When DPF equipped cars regen there is often discharge from the exhaust, especially if you have stopped and restarted the car during the regen.

Yes good point.

My previous Antara used to do this noticeably, Ive not noticed it with the Kuga.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

That's the same as mine which runs out in May ☹️

Still we use almost no electric at the moment, a maximum of 5 units a day, often less than two 😎

Brilliant Julian I have been on pure solar for the last month and for periods in January 

38 minutes ago, blackrose said:

They don't but Dave who has the local MOT station can plug the car into the puter which then tells him if the car is legal and hasn't been interfered with. All stations are going the same way so maybe in future it will be harder to pass?

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Brilliant Julian I have been on pure solar for the last month and for periods in January 

Electric Tumble dryer, dishwasher, oven, washing machine etc make it much harder. Especially when someone puts the dryer on just after the battery is exhausted.