Smokeless Rubbish?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

This is a problem which has been bugging me recently. I've been buying Winterblaze and Homefire over the last year, both seem to produce around twice as much ash as they used to. I'm going to try going back to adding a 50% mix of Anthracite.

I'm not sure about 'ready to burn', it's more like 'ready to choke your lungs'...grrr...

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Steve Bassplayer said:

This is a problem which has been bugging me recently. I've been buying Winterblaze and Homefire over the last year, both seem to produce around twice as much ash as they used to. I'm going to try going back to adding a 50% mix of Anthracite.

I'm not sure about 'ready to burn', it's more like 'ready to choke your lungs'...grrr...

I've just come back home having been on the boat for about two weeks doing  some work. When I got there I was quite happily using Excel. Having read the comments over a few days (and made a comment) I decided to once again try some fuel that came in a 10kg bag rather than 25kg. In my travels I picked up some Homefire. Having done so I had my first overnight of the fire dying back to virtually nothing and a twice daily (as opposed to once) emptying of the ash tray. Physical consumption of Homefire was also significantly greater (plus 35 to 40 %). 25kg of Homefire worked out at £9.97, Excel £14.50. Factoring everything in I'm reverting to Excel. 

Do you think I could put 3 bags of Homefire on E Bay? 😀😀😀

I'm seeing a few references to Homefire.  Homefire is a brand name for a few different fuels.  The best of these is Homefire Smokeless Ovals.  It's pricey but works out cheaper than any other fuel I've used because it stays in for so long.  You could probably keep it in all night on about 3 lumps.  This makes it easier to control the heat output too.  With some fuels you really need to bank it right up to keep it in overnight which means that for the first half of the night the boat is likely to be too hot. 

12 hours ago, Slim said:

I've just come back home having been on the boat for about two weeks doing  some work. When I got there I was quite happily using Excel. Having read the comments over a few days (and made a comment) I decided to once again try some fuel that came in a 10kg bag rather than 25kg. In my travels I picked up some Homefire. Having done so I had my first overnight of the fire dying back to virtually nothing and a twice daily (as opposed to once) emptying of the ash tray. Physical consumption of Homefire was also significantly greater (plus 35 to 40 %). 25kg of Homefire worked out at £9.97, Excel £14.50. Factoring everything in I'm reverting to Excel. 

Do you think I could put 3 bags of Homefire on E Bay? 😀😀😀

I assume you were using Homefire Traditional Smokeless, which is nowhere near as good Homefire Smokeless Ovals.

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm seeing a few references to Homefire.  Homefire is a brand name for a few different fuels.  The best of these is Homefire Smokeless Ovals.  It's pricey but works out cheaper than any other fuel I've used because it stays in for so long.  You could probably keep it in all night on about 3 lumps.  This makes it easier to control the heat output too.  With some fuels you really need to bank it right up to keep it in overnight which means that for the first half of the night the boat is likely to be too hot. 

I assume you were using Homefire Traditional Smokeless, which is nowhere near as good Homefire Smokeless Ovals.

Can't say what type of Homefire I was using (not on the boat). The main attraction was the 10kg bags, they're much easier to heave onto the roof.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

They are very similar to what we get loose from our merchant.

On 19/02/2022 at 17:12, The Happy Nomad said:

OK I'll get a bag and try it and see how I get on.

Noticed in B&M today they have 'EcoBurn' packaged in a very similar way with same claims on the packaging and made from the same stuff.

From CPL

Edit - just cross checked and the CPL product is not a like for like product.

Further edit - it seems CPL actualy make both products!

Currently burning Ecoal from Wickes and its obviously a different product from the Ecoburn stuff B&M sell.

The nuggets are slightly larger, and have a distinctive slightly angular shape. They seem to burn a bit hotter again.

Got 3 10kg bags for £16 as our regular supplier let us down last week.

32 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Currently burning Ecoal from Wickes and its obviously a different product from the Ecoburn stuff B&M sell.

The nuggets are slightly larger, and have a distinctive slightly angular shape. They seem to burn a bit hotter again.

It's what we are using along with some wood from the allotment 

59 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Enjoy, its what I use, if you are buying regularly from Wickes scam* yourself a Tradepro card and get 10% off.

* pretend you are a trader all you need is a bussiness card ;)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Enjoy, its what I use, if you are buying regularly from Wickes scam* yourself a Tradepro card and get 10% off.

* pretend you are a trader all you need is a bussiness card ;)

I would but from my local Wickes it's now showing click and collect only and 150kg works out at £105. Even with 10% off that works out a lot more than the 150kg I get loose from my local merchant at £66. And that is delivered and dropped into my bunker.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

32 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They must have revamped their prices, they contacted me the other day trying to sell me some I pointed out its cheaper in Wickes, we will order some at that price now

There are Price breaks at 10, 20 and 40 bags

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

There are Price breaks at 10, 20 and 40 bags

CPL are in Chesterfield so we can collect if we want, but I checked all the price breaks before and the different size bags so wonder if it's changed?

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

CPL are in Chesterfield so we can collect if we want, but I checked all the price breaks before and the different size bags so wonder if it's changed?

Can't answer that I only looked this morning at 25kg bags haven't checked 10kg

• 5 months later...
On 06/03/2022 at 20:20, M_JG said:

I've been looking into this as the price seems good for ecoburn. The composition on the DEFRA approved lists are identical for ecoal and ecoburn. It also states that both of these can be a variety of shapes. I think it's the same stuff gone through a different press and sold at different prices accordingly.

On 19/02/2022 at 17:12, M_JG said:

OK I'll get a bag and try it and see how I get on.

Noticed in B&M today they have 'EcoBurn' packaged in a very similar way with same claims on the packaging and made from the same stuff.

From CPL

Edit - just cross checked and the CPL product is not a like for like product.

Further edit - it seems CPL actualy make both products!

Ecoal and ecoburn is exactly the same stuff on the DEFRA website according to the breakdown percentages of what's in it