Covid rules anyone?

Midnight

Featured Posts

According to a FB group an article in Towpath Talk reads "The government and other bodies have now recognised the risk posed by restricting access to vessels and therefore state that if the visit is to check on its safety, this would be an acceptable reason to travel."

Can anyone point me to where the government have stated that?

I live 85 miles from our mooring and looking at the gov.uk site I can only find restrictions on travel and overnight stays.

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

According to a FB group an article in Towpath Talk reads "The government and other bodies have now recognised the risk posed by restricting access to vessels and therefore state that if the visit is to check on its safety, this would be an acceptable reason to travel."

Can anyone point me to where the government have stated that?

I live 85 miles from our mooring and looking at the gov.uk site I can only find restrictions on travel and overnight stays.

Last I read you can't visit, our marina has signs up saying livaboards only how correct that is I have no idea 

The stay at home/ stay local guidance remains in place.

I can get to my boat from home on foot . So have briefly visited the boat most weeks . Floods prevented access for a while .

Most but not all  people  appear to have stayed away from the maria .

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

The stay at home/ stay local guidance remains in place.

I can get to my boat from home on foot . So have briefly visited the boat most weeks . Floods prevented access for a while .

Most but not all  people  appear to have stayed away from the maria .

Why? Is she contagious??

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Why? Is she contagious??

Ranking my brains, there must be a “sound of music / nun pun” here somewhere? Where are our resident comedians?? 

As nobody can point to where the government made that statement it seems that whoever wrote the Towpath Talk article also makes the Covid rules. I've made an enquiry to the publisher so may yet find it's valid.

So a 'reader' drives 80 miles to their boat but is stopped by the police "It's okay officer I have a copy of Towpath Talk so can prove it's an essential journey". Do you think the 'reader' would get fined? 

9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

As nobody can point to where the government made that statement it seems that whoever wrote the Towpath Talk article also makes the Covid rules. I've made an enquiry to the publisher so may yet find it's valid.

So a 'reader' drives 80 miles to their boat but is stopped by the police "It's okay officer I have a copy of Towpath Talk so can prove it's an essential journey". Do you think the 'reader' would get fined? 

Has anyone known anyone stopped in their car, if they're not heading towards a beach or beauty spot?

I drive a fifty mile trip every week to support an ill friend, and sixty to my bubble, plus fifteen to the boat every few weeks. Never seen any sign of police activity. I suspect they have better things to do. Go to your boat with six people in the car and an "I'm on holiday" flag in the window and you might have trouble.

And in the unlikely event of being questioned, explain why you think your journey is essential, waving Towpath Talk if you've got it. If the copper disagrees, accept his advice and go home. The rules say they advise first, fine later. Then go the next day.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

On Facebook it said it was written by RCR

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

It depends whether said police agreed that going to check out things like bilge pumps and your boat not sinking (to meet insurance conditions of "good maintenance"?) was a "reasonable excuse" -- just because it's not on the government list of "official reasonable excuses" doesn't mean it isn't one, this list is inclusive (its says what are...) not exclusive (these are the only...).

You'd hope that they would, but there's no guarantee... ?

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Has anyone known anyone stopped in their car, if they're not heading towards a beach or beauty spot?

I drive a fifty mile trip every week to support an ill friend, and sixty to my bubble, plus fifteen to the boat every few weeks. Never seen any sign of police activity. I suspect they have better things to do. Go to your boat with six people in the car and an "I'm on holiday" flag in the window and you might have trouble.

And in the unlikely event of being questioned, explain why you think your journey is essential, waving Towpath Talk if you've got it. If the copper disagrees, accept his advice and go home. The rules say they advise first, fine later. Then go the next day.

I live in the National Park so there is plenty of police activity around here although I do think you are right the chances of getting stopped on the way out are slim. I think I will wait until after the 8th and say I'm going to school :-)

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Guten Nach Mittag volks. I had the German Pfizer Biotech vaccination last Fritag. After effects have been quite horrid. Dream't I bought rimless spectacles like Himmlers, but worst of all I have really frightening visions in my dreams of being in a concentration camp with Frau Merkel standing before me in full battledress, waving a wicked looking whiplash.   Sieg Heil.

Oh dear, I had that one on Friday as well. Lets hope I don't invade Poland next weekend. ?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've been stopped twice in Welshpool, coming from Shrewsbury, and Dyfed Powys Police have been regularly stooping people around Aberystwyth and in the Brecon Beacons.
Both times my journeys were legitimate as I was transporting patients to and from hospital appointments.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I've been stopped twice in Welshpool, coming from Shrewsbury, and Dyfed Powys Police have been regularly stooping people around Aberystwyth and in the Brecon Beacons.
Both times my journeys were legitimate as I was transporting patients to and from hospital appointments.

The Welsh police are really getting into this..... :)

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

And getting some stick for it, it would seem. But then if you are going to drive many miles to 'get some fresh air' than you can expect to get pulled surely?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56236298

Certainly in Wales thats for sure. Had a few Police checks around Norfolk near beeches etc but generally nothing else that i've seen...

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Guten Nach Mittag volks. I had the German Pfizer Biotech vaccination last Fritag. After effects have been quite horrid. Dream't I bought rimless spectacles like Himmlers, but worst of all I have really frightening visions in my dreams of being in a concentration camp with Frau Merkel standing before me in full battledress, waving a wicked looking whiplash.   Sieg Heil.

you must now exchange all your Meccano for Stabil, Herr Bizzard, or its lampshade time!

Just now, robtheplod said:

Certainly in Wales thats for sure. Had a few Police checks around Norfolk near beeches etc but generally nothing else that i've seen...

Our police have been fairly low key I think. Though there was mention on Facebook the other day of them being active at some local costal spots.

Then we had this, there are no words really.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-56239268

Just now, robtheplod said:

Had a few Police checks around Norfolk near beeches 

Trees do seem to be a magnet for day-trippers.

I haven't noticed any cop cars snooping around this part of Norfolk, but then I haven't been further than the postbox (100 yards) for about a fortnight.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Trees do seem to be a magnet for day-trippers.

I haven't noticed any cop cars snooping around this part of Norfolk, but then I haven't been further than the postbox (100 yards) for about a fortnight.

well that's embarrassing for a Norfolk person!!

• Greenie 1