Covid rules anyone?

Midnight

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, robtheplod said:

is anyone else getting concerned that Furlough has been extended to September? (several facebook posts on it but cant find anything myself)  We're all supposed to be free in June so odd why it goes on for so long.... usually its furlough that is the early indicator of lockdowns... :(

I think it is a recognition that, like reputations, it is much quicker going into a lockdown where jobs are sacrificed all at5 once than coming out where they are regained very clowly, especially where the furlough just about prevented what would otherwise have been a redundancy/business liquidation.

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I think it is a recognition that, like reputations, it is much quicker going into a lockdown where jobs are sacrificed all at5 once than coming out where they are regained very clowly, especially where the furlough just about prevented what would otherwise have been a redundancy/business liquidation.

I hope that the Government sort out Furlough abuse as it must be costing an absolute fortune.

2 minutes ago, flearider said:

a friend of mine was taken on by hmrc a few months ago .. there are huge teams working on this atm .. 

Thats good. I know of a company who I have strong suspicions have taken on two people straight onto furlough so they cost 80% less to employ .... presume come September they say bye bye?  not sure who they are getting around the 'must have been employed at X date etc'

12 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thats good. I know of a company who I have strong suspicions have taken on two people straight onto furlough so they cost 80% less to employ .... presume come September they say bye bye?  not sure who they are getting around the 'must have been employed at X date etc'

well if on furlough they should not be working .. ?there are hot lines for this :)

should report it to HMRC on gov.uk or by calling our fraud hotline line 0800 788 887

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, flearider said:

well if on furlough they should not be working .. ?there are hot lines for this :)

should report it to HMRC on gov.uk or by calling our fraud hotline line 0800 788 887

thanks... feel awkward about this as its only suspicions.... will ponder, but thanks for the number!

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

They could not have taken on people straight on to furlough, existing HMRC payroll and NI had to exist for furlough to be processed.

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I hope that the Government sort out Furlough abuse as it must be costing an absolute fortune.

Do you have evidence of the scale of the issue?

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

You would need to know the details . . . they might have been kinder to the new employees than some who reneged on a job offer made just before the lockdown and after folk had handed in their notice at their previous job - which was no longer available for them to return to.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

also the bounce back loans :( 

What is the evidence? I certainly know of one company who, having taken out the loan, still collapsed when the full extent of the closure became known.

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

thanks... feel awkward about this as its only suspicions.... will ponder, but thanks for the number!

The schemes are so complex that even those administering them do not always know what is right and what is not. So, be very careful before casting aspersions.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

but your post suggested (a) that the fraud was widespread and (b) that HMRC were not doing anything about it.

The above disproves the latter and one crime does not make a spree!

i’m not sure it did, it certainly wasn’t intended, perhaps you can point out where it suggests “widespread” or apathy on HMRC’s part in the five words i used?

Perhaps it needs a new thread, but I'll ask in here to be going on with.

The update on the the restrictions regarding boat movements from 8th March has been published. It states private open air vessels may be used for recreation for day trips with single household only from this date, and that it must be 'local'.

I've been planning since late last year to move a narrowboat I have recently bought from a marina to another marina with a crane for road transport. But because of firstly having the virus myself, then lockdown 2, then flooding preventing the necessary river passage, then tier 4 and the current lockdown..I've not been able to do it.

The restrictions on boat movements have eased and it would only be a day trip taking the train, but I live the best part of 200 miles from the marina, so it's definitely not local! My concern is that if I leave it until after the 'stay home' order is lifted, wet weather later in March might delay things yet further, if the Rivers Wey and Thames go into flood again. Currently the levels are fine and should be for a couple of weeks at least.

Should I wait until after 29th March, or would this 'trip' be a reasonable exemption for the travel before then? It is sort of 'business', since I'm paying for the crane and the road haulage. 

Edited by Philip

2 hours ago, Philip said:

The update on the the restrictions regarding boat movements from 8th March has been published. It states private open air vessels may be used for recreation for day trips with single household only from this date, and that it must be 'local'.

I've been planning since late last year to move a narrowboat I have recently bought from a marina to another marina with a crane for road transport. But because of firstly having the virus myself, then lockdown 2, then flooding preventing the necessary river passage, then tier 4 and the current lockdown..I've not been able to do it.

The restrictions on boat movements have eased and it would only be a day trip taking the train, but I live the best part of 200 miles from the marina, so it's definitely not local! My concern is that if I leave it until after the 'stay home' order is lifted, wet weather later in March might delay things yet further, if the Rivers Wey and Thames go into flood again. Currently the levels are fine and should be for a couple of weeks at least.

Should I wait until after 29th March, or would this 'trip' be a reasonable exemption for the travel before then? It is sort of 'business', since I'm paying for the crane and the road haulage. 

Its not really doing it as work is it? If you are becoming a liveaboard then you could do it under the moving house regs.

Will you need to be onboard overnight? If so, I would say April 12th, if not then March 29th is my gut instinct.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

The other problem is that one or other of the marinas may prohibit your entry - many are doing this.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

To be honest, if you are allowed to get on your boat, once you are on it, you are essentially living aboard until you get off it at your new marina. 

So, if you can, go for it, limit contact, wear a mask, take as much with you as you need except for fresh essentials such as milk and bread and just do it. 

You are not going to be indoors meeting as many people as you would in the allowed supermarkets, garden centres, mosques, churches, motorway services, Scarborough Promenade etc

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The other problem is that one or other of the marinas may prohibit your entry - many are doing this.

That's not a problem, I've spoken to the marinas. The haulage people are also ok to travel down to take the boat on the loader.

1 hour ago, Ally said:

Its not really doing it as work is it? If you are becoming a liveaboard then you could do it under the moving house regs.

Will you need to be onboard overnight? If so, I would say April 12th, if not then March 29th is my gut instinct.

It won't need an overnight stay, the journey between the marinas isn't much more than a couple of hours by boat.

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

To be honest, if you are allowed to get on your boat, once you are on it, you are essentially living aboard until you get off it at your new marina. 

So, if you can, go for it, limit contact, wear a mask, take as much with you as you need except for fresh essentials such as milk and bread and just do it. 

You are not going to be indoors meeting as many people as you would in the allowed supermarkets, garden centres, mosques, churches, motorway services, Scarborough Promenade etc

Thanks. I won't have a problem getting onto the boat and as I say I've spoken to the marinas. It's just the getting there and back by either train or car that has the question marks. Must admit I think the 'stay at home' rule is now being dragged out longer than it should be considering the huge progress made recently, but that's for another thread.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Thanks. I won't have a problem getting onto the boat and as I say I've spoken to the marinas. It's just the getting there and back by either train or car that has the question marks. Must admit I think the 'stay at home' rule is now being dragged out longer than it should be considering the huge progress made recently, but that's for another thread.

I would think that would count  should anyone ask, as an essential journey. If there's just you in the car, it will be assumed you are working and so unlikely to get any hassle.

The 'stay at home' rule is, I think, being dragged out to avoid huge mixing of people at Easter. The (predicted) results of loosening over Xmas scared some sense into a few people.

On 02/03/2021 at 20:44, robtheplod said:

is anyone else getting concerned that Furlough has been extended to September? (several facebook posts on it but cant find anything myself)  We're all supposed to be free in June so odd why it goes on for so long.... usually its furlough that is the early indicator of lockdowns... :(

What is this furlough thing of which you speak, is it when our teams spent the summer drinking beer at home whilst I spent it working?

:)

21 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What is this furlough thing of which you speak, is it when our teams spent the summer drinking beer at home whilst I spent it working?

:)

Something like that except that, as I understand it, they can afford to drink only 80% as much beer as usual.

It's an interesting choice of word - well known in American English, where it's synonymous with the military term "leave", but I hadn't met it in English English until recently.

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Something like that except that, as I understand it, they can afford to drink only 80% as much beer as usual.

It's an interesting choice of word - well known in American English, where it's synonymous with the military term "leave", but I hadn't met it in English English until recently.

As I child post war it was a word I heard in everyday life.

EDIT to add Tykes may have come across Yorkshire Pudden a monologue by Stanley Holloway which includes the line:

A young angel on furlough from heaven,

Edited by Jerra
  • Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

I expect  some people who are on 80% income can't afford any beer

• Haha 1