Jump to content

Fuel boat - diesel filling question


Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

They used to have them at most filling stations but stopped using them for some reason.

 

Probably EU law.

My BiL used to manage a garage and said that they were removed as people lost track of how much they were putting in and ended up not being able to pay.

It was simply  just remove the 'locking' lever that clicked into the 'ratchet grooves' inside the handle.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

According to the chap a Turners in Wheaton Aston, whose nozzle doesn't have one, they are in fact illegal in the UK.

 

MP.

Wow!  Muchly surprised - is that only on mobile fillers?  I'd swear my local static filling station has them on their diesel pumps at least but I usually can't afford to buy that much so can't be certain.  I get the point about dispensing more than you can afford to pay for - must remember that one for future use🤔.  But would have thought the overtopping tank safety reasons would trump eejuts putting too much in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Opener said:

Wow!  Muchly surprised - is that only on mobile fillers?  I'd swear my local static filling station has them on their diesel pumps at least but I usually can't afford to buy that much so can't be certain.  I get the point about dispensing more than you can afford to pay for - must remember that one for future use🤔.  But would have thought the overtopping tank safety reasons would trump eejuts putting too much in.

The fillers will still shut off when the level of fuel reaches the spout.  What has changed is that you can’t put the spout in the filling pipe with it locked open. 
You have to hold the spout handle open, rather than locking it on and leaving the spout in the filling hose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dor said:

You have to hold the spout handle open, rather than locking it on and leaving the spout in the filling hose. 

Like in UK filling stations. Not in the US though, where the trigger can be locked on and will then trip when the tank is full. That mechanism is disabled here: clearly it's intentional, but does anyone know why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Like in UK filling stations. Not in the US though, where the trigger can be locked on and will then trip when the tank is full. That mechanism is disabled here: clearly it's intentional, but does anyone know why?

According to ....................................

 

See post #26

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Like in UK filling stations. Not in the US though, where the trigger can be locked on and will then trip when the tank is full. That mechanism is disabled here: clearly it's intentional, but does anyone know why?

Have you ever seen videos of cars driving off while the petrol is still flowing.   

 

Edited by ditchcrawler
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dor said:

The fillers will still shut off when the level of fuel reaches the spout.  What has changed is that you can’t put the spout in the filling pipe with it locked open. 
You have to hold the spout handle open, rather than locking it on and leaving the spout in the filling hose. 

Hmmm!  Logical.  It's OK for an overfill cutoff to operate while you are filling a tank (car or boat) by hand so that you don't overfill/spill. But you wouldn't want a locked on filler popping/flopping out of your car/boat and flooding a forecourt or the cut with diesel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According to ....................................

 

See post #26

Oh! Thanks for that Alan, sorry I missed it first time around.

 

Of course, it may explain why my local Sainsbury's forecourt has a recent spill every time I go in there whereas I don't ever recall seeing one in the States - probably since it shuts off automatically there so dopey twonks don't keep clicking the trigger til they get a splash back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at the pumps used to refuel lorries most of them still have the latch in place so they can lock the pump on rather than standing there for the time it takes to fill their tanks.

the worst pumps to use are lpg pumps when you have large tanks, our record was 45 minutes of having to stand holding in a 1 inch button for a single fill, admittedly it was filling 240 litres of tanks on the vehicle (2 x 80 litre main tanks + 2 x 40 litre belly tanks)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jess-- said:

If you look at the pumps used to refuel lorries most of them still have the latch in place so they can lock the pump on rather than standing there for the time it takes to fill their tanks.

the worst pumps to use are lpg pumps when you have large tanks, our record was 45 minutes of having to stand holding in a 1 inch button for a single fill, admittedly it was filling 240 litres of tanks on the vehicle (2 x 80 litre main tanks + 2 x 40 litre belly tanks)

I'm surprised you couldn't get it delivered to you by bulk tanker - and probably cheaper than service station prices!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

I'm surprised you couldn't get it delivered to you by bulk tanker - and probably cheaper than service station prices!

I think forecourt price for lpg  was around 35p per litre back then, at the time we were working in hot air ballooning so filling from bulk tanks was very common (just declare the amount that went into vehicles tanks rather than balloon tanks for tax). so it wasn't that often that we had to use forecourt pumps, mainly in the winter when everyone has run their bulk tanks down because they're not flying.

We never did it but there were some crews that used to refuel the balloon on forecourts rather than return to base between AM & PM flights (that could have been anything up to 400 litres into the balloon tanks and another 100 into the vehicle pulling it)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.