Lister gearbox

Artfull dodger

Featured Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum.

We love new members, they introduce themselves and share a bit about their interests.  It encourages confidence.

Otherwise, when it's clear that their reason for joining is merely to flog something, I for one react the same way as if somebody has just knocked on my door wanting to know if I want to buy tea towels.

Anyway, when you signed up you'll have read and agreed to the conditions, one of which says ......

"Private for sale adverts are permitted but must be posted within the dedicated sections provided and are subject to moderator approval"

Consequently it helps your advert if you place in the body of your announcement that you have indeed done this and have been given said approval.

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

We love new members, they introduce themselves and share a bit about their interests.  It encourages confidence.

Otherwise, when it's clear that their reason for joining is merely to flog something, I for one react the same way as if somebody has just knocked on my door wanting to know if I want to buy tea towels.

Anyway, when you signed up you'll have read and agreed to the conditions, one of which says ......

"Private for sale adverts are permitted but must be posted within the dedicated sections provided and are subject to moderator approval"

Consequently it helps your advert if you place in the body of your announcement that you have indeed done this and have been given said approval.

Ime hardly selling t towels or knocking on your door and as ime new hear hadnt even noticed a for sale section if your a mod then u aint very welcoming i find that very un boaty like tbh thare getting pretty rare n parts harder to find figured maybe a narrow boater may think brilliant i could allways just scrap it  

Edited by Athy
To remove personal insult.

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

. if I want to buy tea towels.

...look, if you are struggling for tea towels...

Looks an interesting box, is there anything on the plate that identifies it to year or model??

Looks far nicer than a Blackstone lump.

Edited by matty40s

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

...look, if you are struggling for tea towels...

Looks an interesting box, is there anything on the plate that identifies it to year or model??

Looks far nicer than a Blackstone lump.

I can prob chuck in a few t towels lol i dont no much about lister gearboxes tbh i did how ever get its parts list sent to me via pdf i will try and change it to a jpeg so i can upload it the only codes on it are the ones in the pics and yes i saved it as it is a very well built gearbox i sent pics to lister thats whare my info i have on it has come from didnt ask them the date i will try and find the engines date it came off scrapped engine but think i have a pic off the top of my head it was a 1967 but i would have to check as i play with a lot of old engines i sometimes mix up my dates 

7 hours ago, Artfull dodger said:

I stand corrected b m c reverse gearbox 

In that case I THINK a vital part is missing. From memory there is an intermediate plate that fixes between the gearbox and   flywheel housing and that carries a plunder type oil pump that squirts oil in the general direction of the sun and planet gears.

Does it come with the input shaft cum gear that bolts to the flywheel?

Has the input shaft but thare was deffo no part inbetween with an oiler type thingy i do have the bellhousing all that has on it is a chain going up to starter handle i have trouble uploading pics to this site as the 2.9mb is way under any pic my camera takes 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Mr. Dodger did mention Teignmouth in devon

Yep living the dream in devon gearbox is stored very close to bottom of the m5

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77811p7jyo6qr4h/doc74935520201215165016.pdf?dl=0        dropbox link to pdf of exploded diagram/parts list that probably has the most info and is what the experts sent to me .

Gearbox has no water in oil i own the boat it came out of when i bought her i decided to go electric so out came the lump and box 

There's a boat here with that Morris box fitted to a PH2.  I also years ago 1970's had one fitted to a Coventry Victor 14hp, both direct drive, no reduction box.  There was one fitted to a BMC Vedette here to which we found  buried.

54 minutes ago, bizzard said:

There's a boat here with that Morris box fitted to a PH2.  I also years ago 1970's had one fitted to a Coventry Victor 14hp, both direct drive, no reduction box.  There was one fitted to a BMC Vedette here to which we found  buried.

I have looked at the morris boxes pretty sure it isnt a morris but your dates are pretty spot on the ph2 i took it off was the most cobbled together lump ide ever seen only bit that was marine was starter handle set up and the gearbox it was bolted no mounts to rsjs welded directly to my steel hull my boat is prob like 1960s deffo was not original setup to the boat looked a typical fisherman lash up job

Maybe its a bit of bmc a bit of morris also looks close to a parsons deffo had me scratching my head 

2 hours ago, Artfull dodger said:

I have looked at the morris boxes pretty sure it isnt a morris but your dates are pretty spot on the ph2 i took it off was the most cobbled together lump ide ever seen only bit that was marine was starter handle set up and the gearbox it was bolted no mounts to rsjs welded directly to my steel hull my boat is prob like 1960s deffo was not original setup to the boat looked a typical fisherman lash up job

Maybe its a bit of bmc a bit of morris also looks close to a parsons deffo had me scratching my head 

Morris was all part of BMC of course.

• Greenie 1

Th3 AU- casting code is a common BMC code. The main foundry used by BMC was the old Morris foundry, which is why later castings were still carrying the " MOWOG" parts marking. The letters stand for MOrris WOlseley mG.

Lots of SU cast parts are also coded this way, SU was a division of BMC.

The BMC Newage gearboxes were built at Gorton in Manchester, this is probably one of those, often fitted to "Captain" engines, 1.5D.

Picture 2 of 3

Picture pinched of ebay listing.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1