Another sinking

StephenA

Featured Posts

I saw the stoppage at Higherland, and assumed it was a sunken boat before I read the notice.

Lots of people do keep telling them to fix the protruding ledge by either grinding the square edge off or pointing above it, but the message doesn't seem to get through.

I suppose it is Yorkshire region though, and there's a famous saying about telling a Yorkshireman ...

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

From Facebook

LL.jpg

Yep, that ledge!   On the nearside, a stone back from the gate recess, protrudes about 3" past the coping stone.

I've personally stopped 3 random boats hanging on it by the application of a size 12 boot at the critical point, and have warned half a dozen others about it.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yep, that ledge!   On the nearside, a stone back from the gate recess, protrudes about 3" past the coping stone.

I've personally stopped 3 random boats hanging on it by the application of a size 12 boot at the critical point, and have warned half a dozen others about it.

Can't you give it a whack or two with a mallet.

A silsden boat wonder if the hirers had watched the DVD which is all the training silsden used to provide...

Many years ago on pennine cruisers hire boat we got hooked up in that lock iirc. Fortunately the boat flipped out and apart from breaking a bottle of wine and all the wine glasses no harm done but didn't half scare swmbo..

The scary thing was how quickly the boat started listing has to be experienced to be believed 

Edited by jonathanA
Add
  • Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I saw the stoppage at Higherland, and assumed it was a sunken boat before I read the notice.

Lots of people do keep telling them to fix the protruding ledge by either grinding the square edge off or pointing above it, but the message doesn't seem to get through.

I suppose it is Yorkshire region though, and there's a famous saying about telling a Yorkshireman ...

So, CRT have, over a period of time been made aware of the ledge and have apparently chosen to do nothing about it. I've never been on the L & L are there not any warning signs? They have no difficulty in putting up signs at low bridges advising cyclists to dismount or  be aware.

Looks like it is the second Silsden boat sinking in as many weeks - not good for them. We had a near miss in a narrow lock earlier in the summer when a rubbing strake caught on a coping stone on the side of a lock, Fortunately we noticed in time to drop paddles and when we slowly opened a top paddle the boat refloated. I was concerned that it had become wedged across the lock but all was well in the end. We are very experienced boaters so it can happen to anyone.

• Greenie 1