Floor tile adhesive

Rebecca Leigh

Featured Posts

Welcome to the forum, Bex.  :)

Standard flexible tile adhesive designed for a wooden floor should be fine.  Follow the manufacturer's instructions slavishly, and don't skip the PVA step if it's recommended.

Not much detail available, and we don't know what areas are being tiled, but has the OP considered cork tiles? I don't like the idea of ceramic or vinyl tiles in a bathroom (far too slippery) unless it's a wet-room.

I used cork tiles in our bathroom and they are still very firmly stuck after 8 years.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Not much detail available, and we don't know what areas are being tiled, but has the OP considered cork tiles? I don't like the idea of ceramic or vinyl tiles in a bathroom (far too slippery) unless it's a wet-room.

I used cork tiles in our bathroom and they are still very firmly stuck after 8 years.

I'd second this. I ceramic tiled the bathroom floor in my boat with normal tile adhesive for wood floors. Worked fine, but it is cold underfoot during the winter. Doing it again, I'd use something else. Either wood, or possibly flotex.

Jen

20 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

There are anti slip ceramic tiles available, they must be more expensive than standard ones, ie the kind CRT allowed in the Elsan at Forest lock services on the Chesterfield, talk about incompetance, all new tiling, but no drain facility, so any water now stays on the surface, forming a perfect skid pan.

Edited by LadyG

Just as an aside, if you use contact adhesive, evo stick etc it will warn you to use in well ventilated conditions. If you're like me you will not even read the instructions. I stuck carpet inside an old van years ago and experienced a very strange and quite unpleasant day after what was in fact a prolonged session of glue sniffing.

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

Just as an aside, if you use contact adhesive, evo stick etc it will warn you to use in well ventilated conditions. If you're like me you will not even read the instructions. I stuck carpet inside an old van years ago and experienced a very strange and quite unpleasant day after what was in fact a prolonged session of glue sniffing.

Not to worry. you may recover one day.   :judge:  :giggles:

Dunlop vinyl tile adhesive.

I wouldn't tile the floor of a boat with ceramic tiles either. It's just a bad idea when you can buy vinyl such as karndean or amtico which looks pretty much the same.

If you must use ceramic tiles on the floor then it's probably best to stick them down with Stixall or some other PU adhesive/sealant rather than normal tile adhesive. Tile adhesive might be fine until the boat comes out of the water for blacking when the hull flexes and then it might not be fine.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I wouldn't tile the floor of a boat with ceramic tiles either. It's just a bad idea when you can buy vinyl such as karndean or amtico which looks pretty much the same.

Karndean flooring is excellent.

We have had it at home and on boat.

Extremely hard wearing easy to clean and warm to the touch in bare feet. Its not cheap but the ammount needed in a boat means it shouldnt break the bank.

Edit to add, beware of cheap imitations though.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

On 31/08/2020 at 10:48, Rebecca Leigh said:

Hi, anyone had experience with tiling a floor on a boat, very solid ply subfloor with no flex. 

Is a standard wooden floor flexible cement the best bet or are there alternatives that people have had success with? 

Thanks in advance 

Bex 

When I bought my (used) boat, it was tiled throughout.

I would have preferred almost any other flooring as access to the bilge is practically impossible. It looks great but is more trouble than it's worth.