Unmentionable site.

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

Thanks for your reply.

The issue is that someone has programmed the attitude problem into the software. 

Possibly but not the moddies dealing with it at the moment

We have also never before had a thread that kept unapproving itself! I don't normaly go to someone and say "sorry that needs approval" unless I'm not going to give approval! I did give approval - the forum software fought back and it isn't supposed to, no one programmed that bit in!

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Possibly but not the moddies dealing with it at the moment

We have also never before had a thread that kept unapproving itself! I don't normaly go to someone and say "sorry that needs approval" unless I'm not going to give approval! I did give approval - the forum software fought back and it isn't supposed to, no one programmed that bit in!

I wasn't pointing the finger at you, just highlighting that the attitude of a forum is in the hands of those who created the forum.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I wasn't pointing the finger at you, just highlighting that the attitude of a forum is in the hands of those who created the forum.

Well, he's long gone - over ten years ago I think.

Seems a little strange to me that the mods. are not aware of some setting in the forum software that prevents a post with a particular word or link contained within it from being unlocked.

Surely if that was the case whoever has set that up they would let the whole moderating team know - in the interests of common courtesy??

Otherwise the mods. will (and seemingly have) wasted their time trying to allow it?

Bizarre. 

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Try and start a new thread with a Thunderboat link in it in the VP and see what happens to it.

Curiosity got the better of me.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Try and start a new thread with a Thunderboat link in it in the VP and see what happens to it.

I just tried this and yes it did say it would need to be approved by a moderator. 

I just posted a thread called "test" and the content was "www.thunderboat.boards.net". 

So it's a filter in the software. 

23 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

As Thunderboat has not been in existence for that long I feel your reply is a little disingenuous

I think Athy meant the originator of this forum. Wasn’t that the forum under discussion at the time?

Edited by WotEver

16 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

As Thunderboat has not been in existence for that long I feel your reply is a little disingenuous

We were discussing CWDF, not TB.

To me, "disingenuous" means "lying". Please clarify that that's not what you meant.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

We were discussing CWDF, not TB.

To me, "disingenuous" means "lying". Please clarify that that's not what you meant.

You have now deleted two posts of mine and sent me an unintelligible post to explain why - I give up - moderate away...

2 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

You have now deleted two posts of mine and sent me an unintelligible post to explain why - I give up - moderate away...

Thank you, I shall. Third time lucky for you.:D

41 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Point of order - your original quote, to which Athy replied, said the problem was in the hands of those who created the forum

The forum was created by Jon, who left over ten years ago 

The problem is probably NOT caused by those who created the forum, but by someone else modifying code afterwards

I know you've said this is not targeted at us, but (message to everybody - not just Dyertribe) Athy and I have tried our best to sort this mess out and it needs to go up the ladder, we don't do filters or any code, and what we seem to be getting can not exactly be described at thanks for our efforts. 

Situation has been raised with management - head honcho and support will read and review - what happens next is not in our gift. 

22 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Point of order - your original quote, to which Athy replied, said the problem was in the hands of those who created the forum

The problem is probably NOT caused by those who created the forum, but by someone else modifying code afterwards

I know you've said this is not targeted at us, but (message to everybody - not just Dyertribe) Athy and I have tried our best to sort this mess out and it needs to go up the ladder, we don't do filters or any code, and what we seem to be getting can not exactly be described at thanks for our efforts. 

Situation has been raised with management - head honcho and support will read and review - what happens next is not in our gift. 

That starting to sound like the Mods are unhappy with the situation - hopefully some good will result.

I've had The TB address in my signature for a long time, the forum software hasn't picked that up.

All rather strange. I can see the need to ban links to "redhotsexybabes.come" but Thunderboat? Well there are some handsome and li'some examples of humanity over there, wouldn't like you all to be jealous.

• Greenie 1

Surely this must all date from the big fa'oots after Thunderboat was set up, and bans were implemented all over the place?   The situation has surely changed, but we don't seem to have a tech person since RichM left, so the code or whatever hasn't been changed either, but just forgotten about until it rears its ugly head.   Some pretty awful things were said at the time, but that should be forgotten about too.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

To me, "disingenuous" means "lying". 

Off topic, but an old boss of mine lost his cool in a senior management meeting once, and suggested that one of his colleagues was either being disingenuous or mendacious.  He said he thought he only got away with it because nobody else in the room was quite sure what either of the words meant.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Surely this must all date from the big fa'oots after Thunderboat was set up, and bans were implemented all over the place?   The situation has surely changed, but we don't seem to have a tech person since RichM left, so the code or whatever hasn't been changed either, but just forgotten about until it rears its ugly head.   Some pretty awful things were said at the time, but that should be forgotten about too.

Absolutely agree, it's history and should stay that way

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Virtual greenie.
Now can we all just get on with the rest of the Forum and let them sort it out as soon as they can?
I'm sure MP will come back and tell us when that happens.

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

I think Athy meant the originator of this forum. Wasn’t that the forum under discussion at the time?

What I was trying to say was that somebody with responsibility for this site allowed, implemented, instructed someone (take your pick) to insert a piece of code which alerted the mods (who I was attempting to keep out of this debacle) to any link or mention of the Thunderboat forum. Re reading my post perhaps I should have used the phrase “controlling the forum” instead of “created the forum”, however I would then have been in the firing line to be accused of giving the mods a kicking.

In light of the above Athy’s interpretation of my comment was at odds with my meaning and so his comment re the creator of the forum cam across to me as sarky point scoring.

So we were both wrong weren’t we?

Edited by Dyertribe
  • Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, peter n said:

Off topic, but an old boss of mine lost his cool in a senior management meeting once, and suggested that one of his colleagues was either being disingenuous or mendacious.  He said he thought he only got away with it because nobody else in the room was quite sure what either of the words meant.

Possibly off topic - but before you posted, I remembered where I first heard the word, and it ties in with your story.

When I was a young teacher in a Camden prep school in the 1970s, my deputy headmaster Mr. Weedy [not his real name, but the one by which I always thought of him as it was so apt] was discussing some aspect of my teaching with me in his office. At one point he said to me "You're being disingenuous". Now, I have always taken great pride in my honesty and, if I had known what the word meant, so help me I would have smacked him in his feeble little mouth - and I'm a man who has never had a fight in his adult life. If I had done so it could have cost me my job.

Only afterwards did I look the word up in the dictionary, but I was far away at home by then. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. 

44 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Virtual greenie.
Now can we all just get on with the rest of the Forum and let them sort it out as soon as they can?
I'm sure MP will come back and tell us when that happens.

As long as it isn't brushed under the carpet - again...