Unmentionable site.

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

As stated over the road. Nigel's death should have bought the two forums slightly together (there will always be differences, but neither forum is going away). In this instance CWDF hasn't behaved as I would expect. An explanation (or even an apology) is needed. No need to change things here big time but in my opinion CWDF got this one wrong and could learn from it.

28 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Apparently, respectful links were made to Thunderboats posts re Nigel Moore's passing. Nigel frequented both sites in his usual affable manner. 

I find it appalling that the posts were deleted, Why? What's wrong with the mod or mods here. 

I hope this isn't swept into the bin under the catch all "mods must not be questioned". 

The posts were in no way derogatory, they were not fuel for rivalry and spats. 

Someone needs to get a grip. 

Jim, I've had a similar report via P.M. from another member. Now, usually when a thread is deleted, moddies can still see it even though general members can't. I have had a look, and I'm afraid I can find no trace of it.

There is, I'm pleased to say, no forum rule which states that moddies must not be questioned. As for your question "what's wrong with....?", I would reply "they generally do their best".

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Jim, I've had a similar report via P.M. from another member. Now, usually when a thread is deleted, moddies can still see it even though general members can't. I have had a look, and I'm afraid I can find no trace of it.

There is, I'm pleased to say, no forum rule which states that moddies must not be questioned. As for your question "what's wrong with....?", I would reply "they generally do their best".

It is still there for 'all' to see, but when you try and open it you 'are not allowed'

It has 2 posts.

Screenshot (319).png

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

But I can read yours (and others) without changing 'forum'.

I'm confused (doesn't take much).

It appears to me that the original thread was created in VP, where it wouldn't get many views.  It has since been moved to General Boating, where it will.  VP is a strange area, so moving it appears to have left a 'trace' that can no longer be viewed, (because it's no longer there).

But perhaps that isn't the case at all and I'm simply confused...

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is still there for 'all' to see, but when you try and open it you 'are not allowed'

It has 2 posts.

Found it! It was marked "not yet approved", so members should, in theory, not have been able to view it. My knowledge of how I.T. works (lack of) is well known, so I am not volunteering any suggestion as to how that happened.

I have made the thread public, so it can be read, but have locked it, so that any further comments and/ or tributes can be posted on the other (and now much longer) R.I.P. Nigel Moore thread.

If I may offer what explanation us moddies can

The thread showed up as needing approval - I approved it and posted in it. 

Later that approval had been reversed - that is not something we can readily do, we can hide a post but we can't readily withdraw approval - the differnce is it would show up to me in purple as "hidden" on my screen not in orange "waiting approval" - despite my approving the post it had reverted to "waiting approval". I will admit at first to being slightly irritated that my decision had been reversed, and then astonished to find there was no report on which to base that decision. Realising this wasn't the action of another Mod, I approved it again - at which point another poster posted, and the thread automatically locked itself again. 

I've never known this happen before - it's not our (as in the Moderators) doing - we're happy with the thread, some glitch in the software is not, presumably the same glitch that tells long standing members they haven't posted enough to use the VP.

Athy is attempting* to reveal the thread and then lock it, so you can all see it, as there is another live thread on the same subject please post condolences and comments there. 

* I say attempting, because it may still have a mind of it's own!

5 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

If I may offer what explanation us moddies can

The thread showed up as needing approval - I approved it and posted in it. 

Later that approval had been reversed - that is not something we can readily do, we can hide a post but we can't readily withdraw approval - the differnce is it would show up to me in purple as "hidden" on my screen not in orange "waiting approval" - despite my approving the post it had reverted to "waiting approval". I will admit at first to being slightly irritated that my decision had been reversed, and then astonished to find there was no report on which to base that decision. Realising this wasn't the action of another Mod, I approved it again - at which point another poster posted, and the thread automatically locked itself again. 

I've never known this happen before - it's not our (as in the Moderators) doing - we're happy with the thread, some glitch in the software is not, presumably the same glitch that tells long standing members they haven't posted enough to use the VP.

Athy is attempting* to reveal the thread and then lock it, so you can all see it, as there is another live thread on the same subject please post condolences and comments there. 

* I say attempting, because it may still have a mind of it's own!

Thanks for the explanation, but of course the question is now begged “why did the post need approving in the first place?”.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Thanks for the explanation, but of course the question is now begged “why did the post need approving in the first place?”.

Indeed! But that's above my paygrade!

What is most odd is it repeatedly resetting itself to need approval, even posts that, for some reason trigger the need for approval (e.g. someone on modqueue) don't normally reset themselves.

Just now, magpie patrick said:

Indeed! But that's above my paygrade!

What is most odd is it repeatedly resetting itself to need approval, even posts that, for some reason trigger the need for approval (e.g. someone on modqueue) don't normally reset themselves.

I suppose I’m asking whether the OP was on modqueue, which seems unlikely because she is normally sensible and polite, or whether there is a secret filter in the software that flags up any reference to thunderboat for approval. You probably can’t tell me.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I suppose I’m asking whether the OP was on modqueue, which seems unlikely because she is normally sensible and polite, or whether there is a secret filter in the software that flags up any reference to thunderboat for approval. You probably can’t tell me.

I can tell you the OP isn't on modqueue!

Website links filter, either specific or generic, I genuinely don't know. All I can say is I can't recall the last time I had to approve a post in the VP from someone who wasn't on modqueue or posting in an area where approval is necessary (e.g. for sale)

Edited by magpie patrick

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

I suppose I’m asking whether the OP was on modqueue, which seems unlikely because she is normally sensible and polite, or whether there is a secret filter in the software that flags up any reference to thunderboat for approval.

Try and start a new thread with a Thunderboat link in it in the VP and see what happens to it.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

I have looked at my original post which included the link under my profile and it is highlighted in red and has an exclamation mark in a triangle symbol next to the title. 

I fail to see why, especially considering the content of the thread, the offending link could not have been removed and the thread allowed to stand.

it might have been an idea, nay a courtesy to inform me of my transgression.

When I re-posted, omitting the link, a short time after the initial post I posted an explanation of what I thought had happened to thread one, mentioning that I had removed the link. That too has been removed.

I can confirm that no one from the CWDF has had the decency to contact me on this matter..

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I have looked at my original post which included the link under my profile and it is highlighted in red and has an exclamation mark in a triangle symbol next to the title. 

I fail to see why, especially considering the content of the thread, the offending link could not have been removed and the thread allowed to stand.

it might have been an idea, nay a courtesy to inform me of my transgression.

When I re-posted, omitting the link, a short time after the initial post I posted an explanation of what I thought had happened to thread one, mentioning that I had removed the link. That too has been removed.

I can confirm that no one from the CWDF has had the decency to contact me on this matter..

The bit in bold black - didn't remove the link as I didn't think it would cause a problem

The bit in bold red, because there was no transgression

The form software automatically put the post on approval queue, the problem has arisen because despite us moddies approving it - it keeps resetting itself. 

Neither you nor your post are transgressing - it is the forum software that has an attitude problem

Edited by magpie patrick

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The bit in bold black - didn't remove the link as I didn't think it would cause a problem

The bit in bold red, because there was no transgression

The form software automatically put the post on approval queue, the problem has arisen because despite us moddies approving it - it keeps resetting itself. 

Neither you nor your post are transgressing - it is the forum software that has an attitude problem

Thanks for your reply.

The issue is that someone has programmed the attitude problem into the software. 

• Greenie 2