Both Keadby & West Stockwith Locks closed

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've never seen more than one lock-keeper in evidence at a time at either West Stockwith or Keadby (or Torksey or Cromwell).

Torksey often has two keepers working together at weekends and busier times.

The last few times we have been to Stockwith there has also been a volunteer lockie there working with the full time lockie.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As per previous announcement stating West Stockwith locks are closed due to C19, Keadby is now also closed  due to the lock-keepers working closely together.

No announcements re Cromwell or Torksey

The lock keepers  and other C&RT workers should have been observing  some distancing measures  the last few months , the same as everyone else . 

I  dare say people share duties  at  Keadby and West  Stockwith when the full time lock keeper is on days off or on leave .  

4 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I've never seen more than one lock-keeper in evidence at a time at either West Stockwith or Keadby (or Torksey or Cromwell).

At West Stockwith there is often a volunteer helper 

Similarly  at Torksey . 

A trainee  was at Cromwell least weekend.

They all share  a desk etc and doubt they clean up properly between shifts 

Edited by MartynG

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

The lock keepers  and other C&RT workers should have been observing  some distancing measures  the last few months , the same as everyone else . 

I  dare say people share duties  at  Keadby and West  Stockwith when the full time lock keeper is on days off or on leave .  

At West Stockwith there is often a volunteer helper 

Similarly  at Torksey . 

A trainee  was at Cromwell least weekend.

They all share  a desk etc and doubt they clean up properly between shifts 

Watford flight has them all in the same room, and standing next to each other chatting when not locking. This was observed in June qnd July too. Foxton seems to be more SD compliant.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Watford flight has them all in the same room, and standing next to each other chatting when not locking. This was observed in June qnd July too. Foxton seems to be more SD compliant.

Atherstone is much the same.  The volockies seem reluctant to stray more than 50ft from their mess room at the best of times.  When I was there recently, they were all crammed together in there as usual.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Torksey often has two keepers working together at weekends and busier times.

The last few times we have been to Stockwith there has also been a volunteer lockie there working with the full time lockie.

My recollection is from a few years ago when there were no volunteers on tidal locks.  It all seems a bit harsh - does this mean that anyone having ventured on to the Chesterfield is now stuck there, and there is no access from the Trent to the Aire & Calder except by very long or more dangerous detours?   Surely even a system of pre-booking on certain days would have been possible.

Edited to say that I had not seen the other thread.  This looks like it will be temporary until quarantine restrictions have expired.  Unless CRT use it as an excuse/forget about it.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

My recollection is from a few years ago when there were no volunteers on tidal locks.  It all seems a bit harsh - does this mean that anyone having ventured on to the Chesterfield is now stuck there, and there is no access from the Trent to the Aire & Calder except by very long or more dangerous detours?   Surely even a system of pre-booking on certain days would have been possible.

Edited to say that I had not seen the other thread.  This looks like it will be temporary until quarantine restrictions have expired.  Unless CRT use it as an excuse/forget about it.

The volunteers help the full time lockies. They are not a replacement for them.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

This looks like it will be temporary until quarantine restrictions have expired.  Unless CRT use it as an excuse/forget about it.

I hope it is temporary - presumably the office  and equipment will need to be  cleaned . I don't see it as  reason to keep locks closed more than a couple of days . If the regular  lock keeper is infected they need to get someone else in.

1 minute ago, Alway Swilby said:

If they leave everything untouched and locked up for three days the virus dies dosn't it? So they could do that them get unaffected people in (if there are any).

I think the key is the latter bit.

Plus the length of time the virus remains transferable from a surface is a much debated topic.

72 hours has been suggested previously though yes.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

I hope it is temporary - presumably the office  and equipment will need to be  cleaned . I don't see it as  reason to keep locks closed more than a couple of days . If the regular  lock keeper is infected they need to get someone else in.

One of the aspects running any people system that a pandemic stress tests is the policy on critical persons ie those on whom the system relies and in their absence will fail. Such people are often not those in prominent and well-paid roles and so many organisations get this wrong. Just because in 'normal times' there is sufficient capacity in the system to cope with typical sickness and holiday levels, does not mean that it will be OK in times of exception demand. Of course, CaRT may well have done such an analysis but reached the conclusion that having sufficient capacity to cope with all the normal team being taking out simultaneously is unaffordable. Of course it would mean training up a replacement who is then shielded from the standard crew to avoid this outcome. However overlooked lock keepers may be they still need training, especially on tidal rivers and not least because boaters are usually told to heed the local advice given by the lockies. Just because you can work a lock at Diglis does not make you fully qualified to be in charge at Keadby (for example).

In simpler terms: tough!

27 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Just because you can work a lock at Diglis does not make you fully qualified to be in charge at Keadby (for example).

I agree the tidal locks are a big step  up in responsibility  from anything inland and the  lock keeper needs to be appropriately trained.

So one or two people off work sick can close down the major link between north and south? Still, we have new shiny blue signs and posh company cars for the upper echelons of mismanagement.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

So one or two people off work sick can close down the major link between north and south? Still, we have new shiny blue signs and posh company cars for the upper echelons of mismanagement.

That link is  already closed at Meadow Lane ...... so no change there .

On 21/08/2020 at 11:48, matty40s said:

Just did Foxtan last Saturday, two lock keepers on, one doing the bottom section of locks and one the top section. What was evident though were the amount of gongoozlars taken no notice of social distancing, many sitting on the grass having picnics, standing on lock walk-overs, many elderly with no regard to their own safety. It was like they thought COVID-19 will only be affecting the cities and will not affect scenic rural locations. Strange to see.

Edited by PD1964