Wallingford ont’Thames

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hi. We are moored just south of the Town Bridge in Wallingford. Been here a couple of hours. A really nice spot.

Twenty minutes ago a group of twenty(ish)  year oldS have sat down on the grass about a yard from the boat. Lots of noise, loud music and sadly swearing.

What would you do?

Try for a mooring on the islands by Moulsford railway bridge?

Which way are you going, if upstream there might be a CM free mooring on the high bank towpath side by castle fields. If down stream were any free when you came past.

Also if gong downstream there is enough time to get to Child Beale

Edited by Tony Brooks

We chose this spot as its/was nice and quiet. We have family arriving late afternoon and more family tomorrow so need vehicular access.

To find moorings along this stretch has proved to be difficult. The bank here is about level with the boat roof so not very private. They are as entitled to be there as we are. We are playing the waiting game presently. They may run out of beer soon.

They a ball game and the ball hit the roof. Excuse to ‘have a chat’. Sent ‘the wife’ out. They have moved on. We saw them earlier on a small hire boat up in Shillingford. They have all had a few drinks, as you do. 

Didn't really want to move. Phew.

• Greenie 1

Wallingford has always been known as a bit problematic. At one time they were jumping from the bridge and climbing onto boats. 

Nice little town but in pleasant weather the worst idiots tend to turn up there. 

It's just the way it is. Closest mooring I would suggest is as Tony Brooks said the islands just above the Brunel bridge. 

Further down the River fun and games at Teddington including someone failing to maintain a social distance from someone else's propeller !!

48 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Wallingford has always been known as a bit problematic. At one time they were jumping from the bridge and climbing onto boats. 

Nice little town but in pleasant weather the worst idiots tend to turn up there. 

It's just the way it is. Closest mooring I would suggest is as Tony Brooks said the islands just above the Brunel bridge. 

Further down the River fun and games at Teddington including someone failing to maintain a social distance from someone else's propeller !!

Yuk! 

13 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

I always tie up to the trees well upstream of the bridge and the expensive moorings. It might need some imaginative leaping onto a branch to get started.

You'll have to go well upstream to find any mooring there nowadays - it's already full of boats......

11 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

You'll have to go well upstream to find any mooring there nowadays - it's already full of boats......

It does seem to be filling with boats that never move but we've never failed to get in even near to Bunkfest time. A machete helps, as is oft the case on the Thames. For foliage, not mooring lines of course. We'll be ambling down there in the next few weeks.

7 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

It does seem to be filling with boats that never move but we've never failed to get in even near to Bunkfest time. A machete helps, as is oft the case on the Thames. For foliage, not mooring lines of course. We'll be ambling down there in the next few weeks.

"Tell me about it"....

As canal moorings fill up with boats, the overspill has moved onto the Thames - leaving no room for 'the locals'

Crack a can, go and join them and see who is more quickly offended by gratuitous swearing.

If it's them, award yourself 5 points for being more ambitious than youngsters.

If it's you, award yourself 5 points for  being blasé.

7 hours ago, OldGoat said:

It was pretty empty (compared to last year) up there under the trees in June. Never had problems in Wallingford, I consider it as safe as any town in the country. 

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

It was pretty empty (compared to last year) up there under the trees in June. Never had problems in Wallingford, I consider it as safe as any town in the country. 

Was fairly empty today when I went past (under the trees). Wish I had stopped as first next mooring I could find was well below Goring Lock.

14 hours ago, StationMaster said:

Was fairly empty today when I went past (under the trees). Wish I had stopped as first next mooring I could find was well below Goring Lock.

Yeah there aren't many moorings between Wallingford and Goring. The meadow above Cleeve lock can be ok but some of it is shallow.

19 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Yeah there aren't many moorings between Wallingford and Goring. The meadow above Cleeve lock can be ok but some of it is shallow.

I thought those were marked private and the meadow used as a landing site for helicopters delivering diners to the Old Leathern Bottle on the opposite bank.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I thought those were marked private and the meadow used as a landing site for helicopters delivering diners to the Old Leathern Bottle on the opposite bank.

We haven't been up there this year, but I've not observed notices for some years, either there or further up to the next field.

There is a small mooring just below the lock which is monitored and fees collected.

51 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not been any signs there for years. First moored there 10 years ago and signs said something like £5 a night but no one collected. Now no signs at all, but I think it's become shallower and hardly anyone ever moors there now ?‍♂️

Mooring situation on the Thames fluctuates like crazy, signs and silt and vegetation come and go. I notice new mooring places each year and others disseappear each year! All part of the fun so long as you aren't looking for somewhere too late in the day?

Came through Sandford today, was disappointed to see "No Mooring" signs on the field above the lock. Apparently there were complaints from the house owners opposite, about residential boats during the winter. The pub also says strictly no mooring so now above the lock there's only the EA mooring (room for just 1 boat, or 2 if breasted).

8 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Came through Sandford today, was disappointed to see "No Mooring" signs on the field above the lock. Apparently there were complaints from the house owners opposite, about residential boats during the winter. The pub also says strictly no mooring so now above the lock there's only the EA mooring (room for just 1 boat, or 2 if breasted).

Yes this is a shame, you can moor further upstream from there, on the sharp bend by the big house. Rose Isle I think.