Leicester is shut

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Another spike in Leicester :

Walkers crisp factory have been reporting employees testing positive for some days, but todays figure is 48 a big increase.

What is it about food factories ?

Proximity,  according to one news report I've seen.

5 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Of course not. And Deloitte weren't going to point out the obvious.

Makes you wonder if the people awarding these contracts have ever had a proper job. 

22 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Makes you wonder if the people awarding these contracts have ever had a proper job. 

Probably the same noodles that awarded the extra Brexit ferries contract to a company without any ferries or ports set up.

Edited by matty40s

We were going to pootle to Market Harborough after the weekend...

The Mayor of Leicester's comments now appear to make this inadvisable. 

The leader of Harborough council has slammed the Mayor of Leicester for saying people could drive from the locked down city to Market Harborough to have a pint.

Cllr Phil King reacted furiously after Sir Peter Soulsby, 71, made the highly provocative suggestion in an interview with The Times.

The Labour Mayor and former Labour MP spoke as the Government dramatically intervened on Monday night to impose a tough new lockdown in Leicester.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

We’re thinking of doing the Leicester Ring in a week or so’s time. I gather that the lockdown has been eased a little. Has anybody got any recent experience of how things are in the city? Are the moorings at Castle Gardens and Friars Wharf open, for example?

I haven’t had an email yet to say it’s open for non essential travel

19 minutes ago, frangar said:

I haven’t had an email yet to say it’s open for non essential travel

I guess it depend what you define as "essential travel" -- if you're on one side of Leicester and need to get through to to get to the other side to get back to the hire base, is that essential or not?

We're doing the same trip at the end of August, and my assumption is that if the lockdown is still on we'll go through Leicester without stopping, which given the outdoor nature of the canals seems no more risky than going for a run in the park, and similarly could be counted as exercise (walking/jogging between and operating locks) -- this certainly fits with the spirit of the law/advice, and I can't see how it increases the risk of spreading the virus compared to everyday activities like shopping which are now allowed, in fact it seems less risky to me.

If the lockdown is lifted by then we'll stop at Castle Gardens for a nice curry and a nice pint ?

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I guess it depend what you define as "essential travel" -- if you're on one side of Leicester and need to get through to to get to the other side to get back to the hire base, is that essential or not?

We're doing the same trip at the end of August, and my assumption is that if the lockdown is still on we'll go through Leicester without stopping, which given the outdoor nature of the canals seems no more risky than going for a run in the park, and similarly could be counted as exercise (walking/jogging between and operating locks) -- this certainly fits with the spirit of the law/advice, and I can't see how it increases the risk of spreading the virus compared to everyday activities like shopping which are now allowed, in fact it seems less risky to me.

If the lockdown is lifted by then we'll stop at Castle Gardens for a nice curry and a nice pint ?

Same here, same timing also I'll wave to you!

1 hour ago, IanD said:

This is exactly what I would do.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This is exactly what I would do.

Just so long as you can hold your breath for the entire transit and that no-one is anywhere near a lock when you work through it. Take care that CaRT don't control access.

4 hours ago, Proper Charlie said:

We’re thinking of doing the Leicester Ring in a week or so’s time. I gather that the lockdown has been eased a little. Has anybody got any recent experience of how things are in the city? Are the moorings at Castle Gardens and Friars Wharf open, for example?

To go from Kilby Bridge to Thurmaston is about 8 and a 1/2 hours on a normal run....Kilby Bridge is inside the Lockdown area which starts another 3 or 4 locks South.

The first stretch often has empty pounds due to youthful vandalism (CRT often given reason), and much plant life floating in the cut blocking bywashes and gates. It is unlikely that CRT will come and help you get through unless you have some vital reason for "essential travel"......and doing the Leicester Ring will not fall into this category.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Just so long as you can hold your breath for the entire transit and that no-one is anywhere near a lock when you work through it. Take care that CaRT don't control access.

I think you should address that to the two forum members who are about to do it.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

So nobody who lives in Leicester is allowed to breathe or go near anyone else? Remember that outdoor exercise which involves jogging past other people is allowed, as are many other potentially virus-spreading outdoor activities -- the lockdown is to reduce spreading in indoor locations, and try and persuade huge numbers of people not to trek in and out of the city on a daily basis, which is perfectly sensible.

Methinks a sense of proportion is needed here -- consider the risk of travelling through Leicester on a narrowboat with all the other movements in and out of the city by thousands of people which are perfectly legal and happening every day, never mind those inside it...

My guess anyway is that by the time we plan this in four weeks the lockdown will be lifted anyway, and stopping will be fine.

17 minutes ago, IanD said:

So nobody who lives in Leicester is allowed to breathe or go near anyone else? Remember that outdoor exercise which involves jogging past other people is allowed, as are many other potentially virus-spreading outdoor activities -- the lockdown is to reduce spreading in indoor locations, and try and persuade huge numbers of people not to trek in and out of the city on a daily basis, which is perfectly sensible.

Methinks a sense of proportion is needed here -- consider the risk of travelling through Leicester on a narrowboat with all the other movements in and out of the city by thousands of people which are perfectly legal and happening every day, never mind those inside it...

My guess anyway is that by the time we plan this in four weeks the lockdown will be lifted anyway, and stopping will be fine.

Irrespective of any argument regarding the logic the reality is that CRT as an agent of Government probably feel obliged (or are even asked) to impose restrictions, and that hire companies will probably insist you do not breach any restrictions that remain in force at the time of your holiday.

I’m planning to pass through Leicester during the last week of August but not if the restriction hasn’t been lifted. I’ll go via an alternative route which in my case is pretty much the same length.

JP 

31 minutes ago, IanD said:

Alas, in many cases it is not what we think is reasonable but what those who set the rules believe is appropriate.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Irrespective of any argument regarding the logic the reality is that CRT as an agent of Government probably feel obliged (or are even asked) to impose restrictions, and that hire companies will probably insist you do not breach any restrictions that remain in force at the time of your holiday.

You will probably find that your insurance(private or hire)  will be invalidated if you suffer mishap whilst undertaking a non essential journey through an area in lockdown.

49 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Alas, in many cases it is not what we think is reasonable but what those who set the rules believe is appropriate.

Indeed. But if push comes to shove this all CART/government *advice*, there is no legal penalty or enforcement behind it. I wouldn't even think of going against this advice if I thought there was any significant risk compared to all the other things which are allowed in Leicester, but I don't believe this is the case for either travelling straight through or even stopping but staying on the boat -- and yes I do have a scientific background and have looked into the facts about how the virus is spread.

Unless CART physically chain the locks closed there is nothing to prevent boats travelling through, in the same way that there is nothing preventing the residents of Leicester from driving out of the city to do things outside it that they're not advised to do inside and then travelling back in again and meeting people -- which I would not condone since this does increase the risk of spreading the virus.

9 minutes ago, IanD said:

Indeed. But if push comes to shove this all CART/government *advice*, there is no legal penalty or enforcement behind it. I wouldn't even think of going against this advice if I thought there was any significant risk compared to all the other things which are allowed in Leicester, but I don't believe this is the case for either travelling straight through or even stopping but staying on the boat -- and yes I do have a scientific background and have looked into the facts about how the virus is spread.

Unless CART physically chain the locks closed there is nothing to prevent boats travelling through, in the same way that there is nothing preventing the residents of Leicester from driving out of the city to do things outside it that they're not advised to do inside and then travelling back in again and meeting people -- which I would not condone since this does increase the risk of spreading the virus.

Dominic Cummings thought the rules didnt apply to him either....

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You will probably find that your insurance(private or hire)  will be invalidated if you suffer mishap whilst undertaking a non essential journey through an area in lockdown.

I bet you it doesn't, because there is no law or legal enforcement behind the CART *advice* -- which is what it is, not the law. As I said, hopefully this won't be an issue four weeks from now anyway... ?

Just now, matty40s said:

Dominic Cummings thought the rules didnt apply to him either....

Oh stop it, get down off your lecturing high horse and *think* about what I said instead of just reacting to it...