Traditional Engines

Mrs Wilson

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

A twin twin cylinder engine.

As for engine sound, some years ago I was passing through the RN rally at Napton, more than one of the members  enquired what mooring number I was. Good old BD3 

Which year was that? RN Rally at Napton never happened  check out http://www.rnregister.org.uk/rally.html.  Might have been Banbury in 2004?

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought it was by The Bridge pub, maybe another gathering owners were having, no idea of the year

Brian, I think that would have been the Vintage Marine Engine Club Rally (Kevin Whittle's organisation) that held the rally there at the Bridge pub moorings in 2005. IIRC my boat won something like best engine room or best engine for the Gardner 4LK in my Norton Canes nb.

Roger

1 hour ago, Albion said:

Brian, I think that would have been the Vintage Marine Engine Club Rally (Kevin Whittle's organisation) that held the rally there at the Bridge pub moorings in 2005. IIRC my boat won something like best engine room or best engine for the Gardner 4LK in my Norton Canes nb.

Roger

Thanks, the BD3 would definitely been out of place, no bell push.

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why not just have speakers and a sound generator, you could even pass boat with the sound of 1000 rpm when you crawl by or go flat out with a tick over sound. Just think of the fun.

I think that will be a popular option for boats with electric propulsion. ??

Well thank you for all your inputs.

don't fancy a stereo system with anything on it bar nice music, maybe The Archers! thanks.

So I’ll try and get a trad or semi with a nice soothing  tone to it.

Dont mind a bit of regular maintenance, but I’d rather have a second loo for guests than an engine room for the public to salivate over. ??

The sound of an efficient airing cupboard/room is tempting though.

Thanks again, any suggestions for a great sounding, relatively reliable engine which would be happy enough living underground, would be greatly appreciated.

?

1 hour ago, Mrs Wilson said:

Well thank you for all your inputs.

don't fancy a stereo system with anything on it bar nice music, maybe The Archers! thanks.

So I’ll try and get a trad or semi with a nice soothing  tone to it.

Dont mind a bit of regular maintenance, but I’d rather have a second loo for guests than an engine room for the public to salivate over. ??

The sound of an efficient airing cupboard/room is tempting though.

Thanks again, any suggestions for a great sounding, relatively reliable engine which would be happy enough living underground, would be greatly appreciated.

?

Bukh DV20 sounds good and would fit under a deck.

However most hire boats use modern 4 cylinder engines such as Beta or Mitsubishi as these are reliable with easy to obtain spares.

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Bukh DV20 sounds good and would fit under a deck.

However most hire boats use modern 4 cylinder engines such as Beta or Mitsubishi as these are reliable with easy to obtain spares.

The Bukh service spares can be obtained from many motor factors as I did for a larger Bukh for over 20 years. If you need a Bukh only part T W Marine at High Peak offer excellent service and they know Bukhs and Canals.

As Bukhs are designed to be proper marine engines I would suggest they are more reliable and long lived compared with the engines you list. if you buy an engine with a raw water pump most marinas can supply the impeller and gasket.

I very much doubt that it will sound like a old trad engine.

Bukhs use rotating balance weights so tend to be smoother than other engines with a  similar number of cylinders.  By the way Viking afloat used Bukhs for years. Don't look at the price of a new one!!!

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 10/06/2020 at 12:44, ditchcrawler said:

I find the horses around here seem to have a 3/1 beat

Well it depends on the pace, at the walk they have a four beat rhythm, actually more a 2+2, think John Lennons Imagine. The trot is the classic two-time beat clip clop clip clop. The canter is your three time, with a moment of suspension when all four hooves are off the ground; one foot, diagonal pair, last foot, clip CLOP clip - clip CLOP clip. The gallop is a four time pace, but often sounds more like rolling thunder.

Nothing to do with canals? Boats were normally towed at a walk, short trots are possible. Fast passenger boats apparently went at a canter with one or two horses, one being ridden, and were changed every couple of miles on the fly (without slowing)! I really find it hard to imagine how that was done.

11 minutes ago, Mrs Wilson said:

Thank you.

We’ll keep an eye out for a Bukh DV20. We’re a way off getting a boat yet but we’re just trying to plan it as much as possible for next year. Happy Boating All. ?

You could always look for a boat with a vintage engine already installed.

2 hours ago, Mrs Wilson said:

Thank you.

We’ll keep an eye out for a Bukh DV20. We’re a way off getting a boat yet but we’re just trying to plan it as much as possible for next year. Happy Boating All. ?

Hold hard there. I just noticed that you have given no idea about boat length. I got you mixed up with another poster looking to replace and old engine in a 35ft boat. A DV2x would be fine in up to around 30 to 35 ft but for anything larger you would need an DV36 three cylinder engine.  Second hand boats with Bukhs are not that common and if you are buying new the builder might not want to fit a  second hand engine.

32 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Second hand boats with Bukhs are not that common and if you are buying new the builder might not want to fit a  second hand engine.

Or, one that may not be (would not be) RCD compliant if fitted in a new boat.

(Lifeboats are not required to be built to the RCD)