Jump to content

Replacing Rinse Out Cap - Help!


Featured Posts

We need a new cap to cover the rinse out deck fitting... and I am realy struggling to find what is the right thing to be getting! 

 

It's just the cap we need rather than the whole fitting, does anyone know if this is the right thing... a seal with an O ring? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Boat-Deck-Fill-Cap-O-Ring-Seal-Plug-38-mm-Fuel-water-Slot-Key-Fit-1-1-2/254447038015?hash=item3b3e39ae3f:g:85UAAOSwrTFd7Nvw 

 

I've measured the hole which is 38mm. It seems there's options for fuel and water fittings, but rarely pump out options - are they interchangeable? 

 

Help greatly appreciated :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gabby&Jack said:

We need a new cap to cover the rinse out deck fitting... and I am realy struggling to find what is the right thing to be getting! 

 

It's just the cap we need rather than the whole fitting, does anyone know if this is the right thing... a seal with an O ring? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Boat-Deck-Fill-Cap-O-Ring-Seal-Plug-38-mm-Fuel-water-Slot-Key-Fit-1-1-2/254447038015?hash=item3b3e39ae3f:g:85UAAOSwrTFd7Nvw 

 

I've measured the hole which is 38mm. It seems there's options for fuel and water fittings, but rarely pump out options - are they interchangeable? 

 

Help greatly appreciated :D 

If you get one that has 'diesel' marked on it it will cause all sorts of problems when the 'baddies' come and try and syphon your fuel.

Note that Stainless steel ones are half the price of brass ones (buy 2 and have a spare for 'next time')

 

 

To answer your question - all 3 on my boat (Fuel / Pump-out and Potable water) are exactly the same.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever it is, the port needs to be labelled, either on the cap, or nearby with what it is. Having the wrong label is a BSS fail, so putting Diesel on the pump out point is a no-no, despite the karma for diesel thieves.

Jen

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Whatever it is, the port needs to be labelled, either on the cap, or nearby with what it is. Having the wrong label is a BSS fail, so putting Diesel on the pump out point is a no-no, despite the karma for diesel thieves.

Jen

This is an oft quoted 'fact' from the BSS, but I have not yet managed to find anywhere in the BSS where it says that water or pump-out systems must be labelled.

The only opening mentioned is the 'fuel filler' which must be labelled with the type of fuel so that any one borrowing the boat doesn't (say) put petrol into a diesel engine boat.

 

Is the fuel in use correctly and clearly marked on or adjacent to the fuel filling point? 
Check for markings on or adjacent to fuel filling points.
The specific fuel type in use must be correctly and clearly marked on or
adjacent to all fuel filling points:
• ‘DIESEL’, ‘FUEL OIL’, ‘GAS OIL’, ‘DERV’, or ‘BIODIESEL’; or,
• ‘PETROL’, or ‘GASOLINE’; or,
• ‘LPG BUTANE/PROPANE’ as appropriate; or,
• ‘PARAFFIN’; or,
• ‘PETROIL’.

 

There is nothing in the BSS related to either Potable water, waste water or black water systems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This is an oft quoted 'fact' from the BSS, but I have not yet managed to find anywhere in the BSS where it says that water or pump-out systems must be labelled.

The only opening mentioned is the 'fuel filler' which must be labelled with the type of fuel so that any one borrowing the boat doesn't (say) put petrol into a diesel engine boat.

 

Is the fuel in use correctly and clearly marked on or adjacent to the fuel filling point? 
Check for markings on or adjacent to fuel filling points.
The specific fuel type in use must be correctly and clearly marked on or
adjacent to all fuel filling points:
• ‘DIESEL’, ‘FUEL OIL’, ‘GAS OIL’, ‘DERV’, or ‘BIODIESEL’; or,
• ‘PETROL’, or ‘GASOLINE’; or,
• ‘LPG BUTANE/PROPANE’ as appropriate; or,
• ‘PARAFFIN’; or,
• ‘PETROIL’.

 

There is nothing in the BSS related to either Potable water, waste water or black water systems.

So it is OK to put diesel on the pump out tank access! Just so long as the thief doesn't spot the real diesel filler. 😁

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an explosion a few years back due to petrol in the pumpout

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

So it is OK to put diesel on the pump out tank access! Just so long as the thief doesn't spot the real diesel filler. 😁

That is an interesting question. There is no regulation to say what lables can be put on water points to the best of my knowlge.

Edited by ditchcrawler
case my spill chucker has gone awal
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ditchcrawler said:

There was an explosion a few years back due to petrol in the pumpout

Yes - you'd think it would be sensible for the BSS to include potential explosion risks, that would affect others, but they seem to concentrate on some strange things instead.

 

I was not really suggesting it was a good idea, but just pointing out the oft quoted fallacy about having to label the Pump-out cap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Help still needed! 

 

It looks like our rinse out is not the standard size. We think we need a 32mm diameter cap. The 38mm didn't fit, and it's smaller than the pump out deck filler. 

 

Does anyone else have this, and know where we can get the right size cap? Also if we need an adapter for the rinse out hose? 

 

Some pics attached :) Thank you!  

 

 

 

 

Rinse out cap diameter.jpg

Rinse out diameter.jpg

Pump out, Rinse Out.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, rinse out not the pump out, sorry my answer was incorrect. The pump out is 1 1/2" BSP thread.

 

I have never had a cap on the rinse out, its a roof vent and left open.

It will be a BSP thread and I would think that a 1" BSP plug will fit.

But do you really need one? Rain will not fill the tank and if you forget to remove it and do a pump out you risk collapsing the tank as it will be unable to get air in.

TD'

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Our boat has a pump out hole, it doesn’t have a rinse out hole. 
 

what is the difference and advantage to have both?

Ours doesn't have one either. Obviously the main difference is that you have to remove the pump out hose in order to rinse out, so you can't do them at the same time. Personally I think that's actually good because I reckon it shifts the semi-solids around inside the tank better, and I help it by having a dedicated hose inside that I insert down the loo at the same time. But I don't think it actually makes a lot of difference.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ah, rinse out not the pump out, sorry my answer was incorrect. The pump out is 1 1/2" BSP thread.

 

I have never had a cap on the rinse out, its a roof vent and left open.

It will be a BSP thread and I would think that a 1" BSP plug will fit.

But do you really need one? Rain will not fill the tank and if you forget to remove it and do a pump out you risk collapsing the tank as it will be unable to get air in.

TD'

Ah okay! We're still rather new to this... Thought we needed a cap on the rinse out to create the vacuum for the pump out. This is great news if we don't actually need one! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ah, rinse out not the pump out, sorry my answer was incorrect. The pump out is 1 1/2" BSP thread.

 

I have never had a cap on the rinse out, its a roof vent and left open.

It will be a BSP thread and I would think that a 1" BSP plug will fit.

But do you really need one? Rain will not fill the tank and if you forget to remove it and do a pump out you risk collapsing the tank as it will be unable to get air in.

TD'

 

I do not recall a pump out tank that did not have a breather or breather connected to hull side fittings/ports so the rinse out fitting should be just for that - rinsing.  I always connected it to a perforated pipe across the full width of the tank at the higher end so it tended to flush solids towards the pump out pipe.

 

If you don't have tank breather(s)  you will make the tank more ready to produce smells. The larger diameter the better and one at each end of the tank better still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

I do not recall a pump out tank that did not have a breather or breather connected to hull side fittings/ports so the rinse out fitting should be just for that - rinsing.  I always connected it to a perforated pipe across the full width of the tank at the higher end so it tended to flush solids towards the pump out pipe.

 

If you don't have tank breather(s)  you will make the tank more ready to produce smells. The larger diameter the better and one at each end of the tank better still.

The longer I remain associated with narrowboat "engineering" the less I associate the manufacture and fitting out with sound, practical, practical, practice.

 

The good are good and the rest - diabolical..

We're doomed....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The longer I remain associated with narrowboat "engineering" the less I associate the manufacture and fitting out with sound, practical, practical, practice.

 

The good are good and the rest - diabolical..

We're doomed....

 

I agree with that.I must have only come across the good ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I agree with that.I must have only come across the good ones.

Lucky chap - that's because you're Darn Sarf - well,  west a  bit and up a bit...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.