Moving newly bought boat

manicpb

Featured Posts

Are your permanent moorings official residential?

If not there's no reason to move the boat as CaRT have relaxed the 14 day rule and are not enforcing it.  There should be moorings available close to where the boat is now for you to leave it until mooring restrictions are lifted. Maybe the problem lies with the boat yard where the boat is now, knowing you can't move and  are going to charge you.

Edited by PD1964

On 25/04/2020 at 17:12, manicpb said:

I've abided and only visited it twice in the last month (to be fair it's over an hour's drive anyway)

Hmm. CRT told me not to visit my boat. Full stop. I don't see your case as any different: you don't (yet) live on it.

23 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

copious use of an antibac spray etc round locks

You do know here is an important difference between a bacterium and a virus?

21 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Solicitors income is normally proportionate to the amount they can procrastinate.

20 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Spot on.

Not if you get a fixed fee quotation from them to start with. Why would you not? 

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Hmm. CRT told me not to visit my boat. Full stop. I don't see your case as any different: you don't (yet) live on it.

One of the jobs raised in my survey was the stern gland, now call me over cautious but if that hadn't been packed right on completion of the works I'd be returning to hull full of water...hence my visits to ensure that was not the case.

1 minute ago, manicpb said:

One of the jobs raised in my survey was the stern gland, now call me over cautious but if that hadn't been packed right on completion of the works I'd be returning to hull full of water...hence my visits to ensure that was not the case.

You do have an automatic bilge pump, don't you ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure its not automatic as well as the 'over ride' switch ?

If not, there a simple job for you.

I'm pretty sure the survey raised that an automatic pump needed to be fitted, it's not to hand for me to double check right now.

As it is I'm fairly happy it's not filling at an alarming rate anyhow.

You fill me with confidence with the words "simple job"!

On 25/04/2020 at 19:23, MartynG said:

Boat on deliver run today

The narrowboat had a sign on it - ''CRT Authorised Delivery'' 
20200412.jpg

Therefore obtain C&RT authorisation and get a sign

Yes nice day today. Only a short one though as Holme lock is closed for the weekend, I’m getting locked through tomorrow ?

16 minutes ago, nigel carton said:

Yes nice day today. Only a short one though as Holme lock is closed for the weekend, I’m getting locked through tomorrow ?

Are all of the locks on the R.Trent  manned ?

You have good reason to move onto your boat; the alternative is living with 70-year old people, when you have a job that takes you travelling and in contact with other people.

In addition to checking the boat over, I suggest replacing the fuel filter, getting some spare engine oil and spares for any drive belts on the engine. These are things you can't 'bodge up' when on the cut and something goes wrong. 

Check over all hosing - if it is at all worn or cracked, replace.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

This is a point that I have asked. Are his new moorings official residential??

If not, then there is no reason to move the boat. 

Speaking to CaRT the other day, they said they are getting a lot of requests off people to move their boats saying they have to move back to their residential moorings as priority. Then when CaRT check on their mooring location they are finding they have a non residential leisure mooring. But they still insist they are living on their boat there. Nothing like stitching themselves up.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

You do know here is an important difference between a bacterium and a virus?

Yes, I do. I was going to suggest he sprayed the lock handles etc with the same stuff we are using on door handles, trolley handles etc - IPA - but I couldn't be bothered with including an explanation that it wasn't beer. So my intention was to type 'antiviral' but didn't. A simple mistake, like typing 'here' instead of 'there'.

You do know your posts come over as a touch arrogant?

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

You have good reason to move onto your boat; the alternative is living with 70-year old people, when you have a job that takes you travelling and in contact with other people.

In addition to checking the boat over, I suggest replacing the fuel filter, getting some spare engine oil and spares for any drive belts on the engine. These are things you can't 'bodge up' when on the cut and something goes wrong. 

Check over all hosing - if it is at all worn or cracked, replace.

Fuel filter, alternator and belt were changed in the pre sale agreement. Engine oil is full to the max (a little more than I'd prefer). 

Again all good advice, thanks!

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

This is a point that I have asked. Are his new moorings official residential??

If not, then there is no reason to move the boat. 

Speaking to CaRT the other day, they said they are getting a lot of requests off people to move their boats saying they have to move back to their residential moorings as priority. Then when CaRT check on their mooring location they are finding they have a non residential leisure mooring. But they still insist they are living on their boat there. Nothing like stitching themselves up.

Sorry, somehow passed your post without seeing it. No, it's not residential. I won't be making out it is to the CRT either. It's my second home but my first is with two 70 year old parents who should be self isolating...if the boat had been here I don't think there would be any argument off anyone that it would be the sensible option to move on to it.

Is there a requirement to move out from you existing home then? I was not aware that family groups had to be split up if already under the same roof. There is a rule that says you cannot relocate to a second home though. Personally I would have thought you would have been more use to your parents by being close at hand.

51 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Is there a requirement to move out from you existing home then? I was not aware that family groups had to be split up if already under the same roof. There is a rule that says you cannot relocate to a second home though. Personally I would have thought you would have been more use to your parents by being close at hand.

Not that I'm aware of. However as I'm still at work and coming into contact with numerous others daily (attempting 2m distancing but it's almost impossible), exchanging paperwork and swapping HGV's and trailers, if anyone is going to pass on the virus to my parents...it's going to be me!

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

That makes your plan perfectly reasonable and essential to me then, manicpb. Go for it.

Not really, as all he will do is put the people in his Marina at risk every day. There's no reason to move on to the boat. The lock down/self isolation has been in place for the last 6 weeks, so it's only now he thinks he's a risk to his parents, if he was that concerned about his parents being at risk through him and his job he would of sorted his living arrangements with his  parents out  6 weeks ago and moved out.

In his original post there was no mention of putting his parents at risk, it's all about moving the boat or paying moorings, as the Marina that it's in are about to charge him moorings and he is on here to try and justify in his own mind moving the boat against CaRT and Government advice.

Edited by PD1964

I can see that angle and did think about it but gave benefit of doubt, mainly because being on a boat probably makes it easier to maintain the distancing. But can't argue with your view re timing. Would have been better to have moved out at the start when we were on the steep (steeper) upward curve. 

Edited by Traveller

I'll hold my hands up, it is the extra payments that has really made me look at the situation. The other controlling factor is that I've simply not had time to move the boat. It coincides this coming weekend I have got to take an extended rest period by law due to the amount of hours I have driven over the last fortnight.

Ironically I was in the 1/3 of drivers to be not furloughed which would have given me the time to have moved it but not necessarily the reason!

I'll be honest I didn't expect the lockdown to last more than a month either, after Boris's address this morning I can't see it ending in the next 6 weeks either.

Edited by manicpb

1 minute ago, manicpb said:

I'll hold my hands up, it is the extra payments that has really made me look at the situation. The other controlling factor is that I've simply not had time to move the boat. It coincides this coming weekend I have got to take an extended rest period due to the amount of hours I have driven over the last fortnight.

Ironically I was in the 1/3 of drivers to be not furloughed which would have given me the time to have moved it but not necessarily the reason!

Respect to you for being honest about the situation and the mooring fees situation. Stay safe and take care.

• Greenie 1