Moving newly bought boat

manicpb

Featured Posts

I've had a massive dilemma for the last month and appear to about to have my hand forced, here's the situation.

I bought a boat pending a few repairs just before the lockdown. All work was completed about a month ago and I agreed with the marina I could moor for free till the end of April (obviously we had no idea if the lockdown was to be for a couple of weeks or months). The impression they are giving me is I will be subject to a charge after that however I've paid up at a marina closer to home.

I bought the boat with the intent to partially live on as I split with my partner several years ago and although I rented for a while I'm back with my parents...both over 70.

The mooring is closer to my work than my parents, where I'm still currently working as a HGV driver.

It's around a 3 day cruise (8 hour days roughly), I don't feel I have to many options but to go for it and move it the coming weekend. I've abided and only visited it twice in the last month (to be fair it's over an hour's drive anyway) to check it didn't have any issues I wasn't aware of and was filling with water!

After general thoughts? Am I going to have dagger eyes off every boat I pass on route?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, manicpb said:

I've had a massive dilemma for the last month and appear to about to have my hand forced, here's the situation.

I bought a boat pending a few repairs just before the lockdown. All work was completed about a month ago and I agreed with the marina I could moor for free till the end of April (obviously we had no idea if the lockdown was to be for a couple of weeks or months). The impression they are giving me is I will be subject to a charge after that however I've paid up at a marina closer to home.

I bought the boat with the intent to partially live on as I split with my partner several years ago and although I rented for a while I'm back with my parents...both over 70.

The mooring is closer to my work than my parents, where I'm still currently working as a HGV driver.

It's around a 3 day cruise (8 hour days roughly), I don't feel I have to many options but to go for it and move it the coming weekend. I've abided and only visited it twice in the last month (to be fair it's over an hour's drive anyway) to check it didn't have any issues I wasn't aware of and was filling with water!

After general thoughts? Am I going to have dagger eyes off every boat I pass on route?

Thanks

Where are you going from, and where to ?

The route may be affected by various things (some as suggested by Matty)

Judging by the succession of boats through Hillmorton Locks and the mass of people sunning themselves and picnicking by the towing path, I would have thought that your one-off trip would be accepted.  However - IF someone in authority was to turn up and actually enforce the rules that were made for the benefit of us all, then I would say that you should comply with them.

• Greenie 4

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You are allowed to move if moving house, so moving your boat is no different.

You may hit problems if you are planning to move through a manned structure, which may well be completely closed, or need advanced booking. Examples are Foxton locks, Harecastle tunnel, etc.

Where did you get the info from. I wish I could move house as house under offer and everything ready to go on next house but the solicitors are telling us not to move. If we had exchanged before lockdown then we could  move but try getting a removal company now

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Where did you get the info from. I wish I could move house as house under offer and everything ready to go on next house but the solicitors are telling us not to move. If we had exchanged before lockdown then we could  move but try getting a removal company now

hire a van

Just now, Tonka said:

If the property is vacant there's no issues with moving house, if occupied it's advised to delay it...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Where are you going from, and where to ?

The route may be affected by various things (some as suggested by Matty)

I didn't want to full disclose where as the marina have been very good and I don't want to put a negative light on them...however it's the northern Grand Union onto the Coventry canal.

Could you foresee any problems?

32 minutes ago, Tonka said:

That is exactly the same situation as the young lass next door to me has found herself in. In the OPs case, my understanding is if the boat is not his home, as in main residence, then moving it is out of the question if rules are to be followed. Some marinas have in fact closed and holiday boaters told to stay away (or go home and stay away) until restrictions are lifted. Not even casual visits are allowed. It is all part of the: "you cannot visit a second home. It is not classed as essential travel". I would be surprised if the current marina was not being sympathetic.

Edited by Traveller

Its not like you are swanning off for a jolly in the sunshine - it's a one way move to relocate the boat - if the route is open and if your new marina will accept you, then if it were me, I'd just go for it. Obviously being sensible re being near others, and copious use of an antibac spray etc round locks. Take enough supplies to be self sufficient' its only 3 days, not a huge journey.

• Greenie 3

Ring up and ask CRT if it's ok would be my advice, if they say no then you know where you stand.  Commercial traffic on boats is still being allowed (on the ouse at York) so what do you have to lose?

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Boat on deliver run today

The narrowboat had a sign on it - ''CRT Authorised Delivery'' 
20200412.jpg

Therefore obtain C&RT authorisation and get a sign

Snap was typing the same thing 

• Greenie 2

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

With a new unknown boat you could quite possibly be taking an unreliable boat into the 'wild blue yonder'

How are you on 12v electrics, diesel engines, fuel bleeding, filters, plumbing and gas ?

You may well struggle to find someone to come out to you if you break down, so, I would suggest that before leaving you do a full engine service, check the diesel (if it has been standing for some time it could be 'full' of water or even fuel-bug). check the battery capacity (Ah not volts) and drain the water tank, flush with Milton, flush and re-fill.

Is the toilet working and is the tank empty ?

Take :

a complete set of spare filters (oil / fuel / air)

spare fan belt

tools / wire / crimps / screws and bolts / insulating tape etc etc.

a spare jerry can of CLEAN fuel and bits of piping able to connect the jerry can directly to the filter.

Way "over the top" for a normal 3-day trip, but in the current times do you want to risk breaking down and not being able to either fix it, or get 'someone in' to fix it.

I could answer each point individually but I cover it by saying I'm very much the renovator/diyer that hates paying any tradesmen without giving it a go myself first.

I genuinely appreciate your reply though and you've probably ensured I make sure I go over my tools, spares and bits and bobs in a deeper detail than I may have!

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Ring up and ask CRT if it's ok would be my advice, if they say no then you know where you stand.  Commercial traffic on boats is still being allowed (on the ouse at York) so what do you have to lose?

Snap was typing the same thing 

Thanks, both of you.

It makes sense however an idea I'd completely overlooked!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

When you ring, don’t give them too much info about yourself, just ask about the principle of re-locating. That way if they say ‘no’ you can still decide if it’s better to seek forgiveness rather than ask for permission.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

You certainly can move house, our friends son just has, and our son is close to moving as well. I don’t believe you will not get a removal company so you would need to do that yourself.  Strange that you solicitor is saying not to,  our son so.icitoris pushing that they should move in fact their purchaser was getting a bit iffy about not going ahead during lockdown and their solicitor has told them that they can’t stall for that and they either continue or pull out of the purchase.

47 minutes ago, manicpb said:

I could answer each point individually but I cover it by saying I'm very much the renovator/diyer that hates paying any tradesmen without giving it a go myself first.

I genuinely appreciate your reply though and you've probably ensured I make sure I go over my tools, spares and bits and bobs in a deeper detail than I may have!

Thanks, both of you.

It makes sense however an idea I'd completely overlooked!

On top of that lot I would suggest replacing all batteries on collection. I always replace them without checking them on picking up a boat. They WILL be knackered and ensure you have a spare water pump with you also ?

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Solicitors income is normally proportionate to the amount they can procrastinate.

Think on.

5 hours ago, manicpb said:

I took a winter mooring at a boatyard until the end of March, in expectation of going boating thereafter. But as I can't now move the boat I am having to continue paying for the mooring. Annoying, but not much I can do about it. 

5 hours ago, Tonka said:

You try hiring a van for the contents of a 5 bedroom house from Surrey to north Wales 

The last time I moved, in Dec 2009, my brother hired, and drove for me, a van to move the contents of a 5 bed (rented!) house in Surrey, but only to take it all two miles across Croydon to cram it all into the 3 bed house (still in Surrey) I'd bought; that was fun and I've been slowly finding friends and relatives to take the excess furniture off my hands since. I've given his daughter two tables and a few chairs. South London is awash with good cheap unwanted second hand furniture; you'd have to be mad to buy new. 

Odd related footnote: in autumn 2019 I was given a very nice big mock Tudor dining table by my daughter; I'd bought it second hand for £50 in 1985, then spent £200 having it restored, lost it to my ex-wife in the divorce settlement in the 1990s, but my daughter inherited it back after her mother's death in 2018 and didn't want to keep it.

Also related to this topic, my daughter recently bought and moved into a 5 bed house in Brentford (using money from the sale of my old marital home in Beckenham; that inheritance again!) which has kept her quite busy as she has three children and works in the NHS. But she didn't have far to move as they were previously in a rented flat in Ealing. The solicitors were her biggest problem, lots of delays in the conveyancing.

Back with the original topic, good luck to you manicpb, it's not a long move and I suppose should turn out OK for you. But of course, try to make sure the boat is OK before you set off. I've crewed for various people on boat moves over the years, and found it really helps everything go more smoothly if someone who knows what they're doing has given the boat, especially the engine, a once-over before departure. Of course, the more you and your crew know about it the better.

• Greenie 1