Conway wooden boat no 19

glynnbarry123

Featured Posts

Hasn't this photo been shown elsewhere on the forum quite recently?

Anyway, well done Glynn. It looks as if you have some work to do, though someone has painted the cabin roof for you!

Edited by Athy

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Yes, boat has been on the puddlebanks at Braunston for quite some time, sometimes floating. It's been on the historical boat sales thread and theres quite a lot of information over there.

Good luck. 

I thinks it was built in 1910 according to guy I got it of as a butty for carrying oil for thomas clayton but sold to a chemical company who shortend it and put the engine in it that's all I know I have got here floating and painted one side of hull that's not to bad but front and rear deck require replacing  and stern above water not to good few  taking ballast out at the moment to clean the bottom got water out of engine put fresh oil in and got it turning bu hand but haven't tryed to start it yet

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO if you like wooden boats you should have bought Princess Anne and saved yourself a lot of hassle - the end product will be the same but you now have a lot to do to get there

I salute you - you are a brave Man and good for you - you will get a lot of support from those of us less brave - like me

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

IMHO if you like wooden boats you should have bought Princess Anne and saved yourself a lot of hassle - the end product will be the same but you now have a lot to do to get there

58 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Princess Anne is, I think , a composite, only the bottoms are wooden. Or at least it was when I steered her last year.

Mr Moore is of course correct in that PRINCESS ANNE is iron composite, i.e. iron sides and a wooden bottom.

The other difference between CONWAY and PRINCESS ANNE was / is in the advertised sale price - about 50 times in difference :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

Mr Moore is of course correct in that PRINCESS ANNE is iron composite, i.e. iron sides and a wooden bottom.

The other difference between CONWAY and PRINCESS ANNE was / is in the advertised sale price - about 50 times in difference :captain:

But that doesn't factor in the cost of sorting Conway which was my point - either way - anyone taking on wood gets my vote 

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

But that doesn't factor in the cost of sorting Conway which was my point - either way - anyone taking on wood gets my vote 

Like you I have no doubt that the costs involved with sorting out CONWAY could easily exceed the asking price of PRINCESS ANNE, and is almost certainly going to exceed the end value of CONWAY by several times :captain:

Nice to see her coming along. Did she require much hull work to get her watertight? As a fellow wooden boat owner, I look forward to seeing your progress. We have used this lockdown to push forward with our work to the Keays tug Judith Ann, which is getting there slowly, but still alot to do. 

20200509_192747.jpg

14 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Like you I have no doubt that the costs involved with sorting out CONWAY could easily exceed the asking price of PRINCESS ANNE, and is almost certainly going to exceed the end value of CONWAY by several times :captain:

32 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

As a fellow wooden boat owner, I look forward to seeing your progress. 

All the talk of potential restoration costs versus comparative prices of other boats lead me to forget that as a 'historic' narrow boat owner myself and carrying out a restoration that far exceeds the end value of my boat I wish the owner of CONWAY well with their project, and as a researcher of 'historic' narrow boats I look forward to seeing the end result and recording the next chapter in CONWAY's varied history :captain:

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I am glynn new owner of conway got here watertight now and engine up and running sales her from brauston to lydiate were its mooring is in the mmbc club I am still trying to sort out history of just who built her  but so much different story's about can any one help with the history thanks glynn 07732732854

• 2 weeks later...

Hi up date on conway the old wooden boat front end fully restored  all leaks on hull sorted.

Started to removed all rotten wood on stern and replace new cabin . I did put it on Ebay to what intrest ther was in it but usuall full of idiots dont intend to sell her just trying to get some history of her so many different story's about

Edited by glynnbarry123