Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
David Mack

Is this the same boat?

Featured Posts

 

I know this boat. It was on the bank at Enslow for years, totally and utterly derelict. No glass in the windows IIRC, doors open and flapping in the wind.

 

I'd say that survey report is a transcription error. Value £23.00 to £24.00, not £23,000 to £24,000.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Hardwood rubbing strakes....intact and secure'

They certainly don't look either of those things in picture 4

Wonder just how old that survey is

Interesting project for someone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

'Hardwood rubbing strakes....intact and secure'

They certainly don't look either of those things in picture 4

Wonder just how old that survey is

Interesting project for someone

Do you really think that surveyors actually write an individual survey for each boat?

 

They wrote on once and then just use the same survey and change details like length, numbers etc. Occasionally they will be in a rush and miss altering something obvious.

That's why the small print says something to the effect :

 

"You cannot rely on anything we say in this survey, anything that is wrong is a mistake and you have no legal come-back"

 

What he actually meant to say was "Hardwood strakes missing on Stbd side"

 

V-Bottomed hull ?

Paint in good order ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I don't imagine they embark on a unique creative piece of prose for each one, but I do imagine that at some point in the very distant past that boat was surveyed and its condition reasonably similar to that as described (although we all know any value can be fanciful, even on the day). A shallow semi-V hull would be sensible on a GRP boat like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

A shallow semi-V hull would be sensible on a GRP boat like this.

It would, but the pictures don't appear to show one (unless it is so shallow as to be flat)

 

 

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Bearwood Boster said:

Quick coat of paint & this boat would be a stunner...😏

 

£3500

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

 

£8000

 

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

Which is the better choice ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

£3500

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

 

£8000

 

 

s-l1600.jpg

 

 

Which is the better choice ?

Errrrrm,you obviously don't recognise humour/sarcasm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It would, but the pictures don't appear to show one (unless it is so shallow as to be flat)

 

 

s-l1600.jpg

6 or 8 inches from chine to keel?

 

ETA: deleted because it wasn't relevant

Edited by BilgePump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, David Mack said:

Browsing ebay I came across this fibreglass narrow boat for sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143531874703

But I am having some difficulty in reconciling the surveyor's comments in pictures 9 and 10 with the photos 1 to 8. 

Is it the same boat?

That's one for T that is. Save W all that messing about. 

 

Oi @W+T is 37 ft of narrowboat shape enough for your good lady?  New GRP front doors and a bit of a polish ...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's one for T that is. Save W all that messing about. 

 

Oi @W+T is 37 ft of narrowboat shape enough for your good lady?  New GRP front doors and a bit of a polish ...

 

 

OMG,  you must think am nuts. Who on earth take that on. 😱🤣😉

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at least the front fenders look like they might be worth a few quid!

 

I suspect it is the same boat, but that the survey is from many years ago.

 

If the cabin is fibreglass, I'm not convinced it is all fibreglass, as it seems to have delaminating lywood panels at the front end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I suspect it is the same boat, but that the survey is from many years ago.

 

Which seems rather unlikely given the history of the boat, as recounted to me by an old friend who used to live on the next boat along.

 

Apparently the owner, a solo bloke, fell in the cut about ten years ago, and a few days later fell ill and eventually died of Weils disease. A shock for everyone on the mooring.

 

After a year or so of no-one turning up and claiming ownership of the boat, the mooring owner hooked it out onto the bank and re-let the mooring space. There the boat remained abandoned and unattended for several years, I'd guess about five, doors and windows open to the weather, and generally degrading. Eventually the site owner managed to dispose of it, not sure how other than a hiab lorry turned up and took it away about three or four years ago.

 

So the chances of a old survey report surviving and following the boat seems low, to me unless the disposal was actually a result of him tracking down a relative or heir of the deceased owner who arranged disposal of it, and had access to the paperwork that went with the boat.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is quite an interesting/historic boat having been built by Ralph Kirkham for his retirement and featured in an ancient Waterways World. Mr Kirkham had a plastics company in Yorkshire which designed and made the blue tops for British Waterways river class narrow boats and also some prototype fibreglass containers which were designed to be lifted out of narrow boats on to lorries.

 

It has to be the same boat - Saga is very much a one off - but agree that the survey must be very out of date!

 

Paul

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Which seems rather unlikely given the history of the boat, as recounted to me by an old friend who used to live on the next boat along.

 

Apparently the owner, a solo bloke, fell in the cut about ten years ago, and a few days later fell ill and eventually died of Weils disease. A shock for everyone on the mooring.

 

After a year or so of no-one turning up and claiming ownership of the boat, the mooring owner hooked it out onto the bank and re-let the mooring space. There the boat remained abandoned and unattended for several years, I'd guess about five, doors and windows open to the weather, and generally degrading. Eventually the site owner managed to dispose of it, not sure how other than a hiab lorry turned up and took it away about three or four years ago.

 

So the chances of a old survey report surviving and following the boat seems low, to me unless the disposal was actually a result of him tracking down a relative or heir of the deceased owner who arranged disposal of it, and had access to the paperwork that went with the boat.

 

 

Could ask the seller what date is on the survey, I suppose.

I'm guessing if there is one it could well date back 10 years or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that this could make a very good project for someone. At least you know it is never going to rot away. If most of the top is GRP then it could be quite an easy job and not too expensive. A much better prospect than an old steel boat if it is as thick as stated in the survey.

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

I think that this could make a very good project for someone. At least you know it is never going to rot away. If most of the top is GRP then it could be quite an easy job and not too expensive. A much better prospect than an old steel boat if it is as thick as stated in the survey.

If I  had 6k floating around I would be on this project like a rat up a drainpipe

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's one for T that is. Save W all that messing about. 

 

Oi @W+T is 37 ft of narrowboat shape enough for your good lady?  New GRP front doors and a bit of a polish ...

 

 

 

Thing is i have a better looking IMO 32 foot GRP boat, which will soon be 45 foot :) `soon` take that as you will i the boaty world lol

 

 

6 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

I think that this could make a very good project for someone. At least you know it is never going to rot away. If most of the top is GRP then it could be quite an easy job and not too expensive. A much better prospect than an old steel boat if it is as thick as stated in the survey.

 

Yep thats why GRP can be sooo much better being easier and cheaper to fix. Maybe not easier as welding is easy. And can be expensive to pay for a repair to be done though, i bet on same scale as welding.  If all DIY then get in there.  

 

 

45 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

If I  had 6k floating around I would be on this project like a rat up a drainpipe

 

Where you get £6k from kida, i see it at £3.5k of ebay.  And then i would pay half that,all its worth. Or is that because its a NB shape. You can a  a 32 GRP cruiser shell for less than a grand.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, W+T said:

Where you get £6k from kida, i see it at £3.5k of ebay.  And then i would pay half that,all its worth. Or is that because its a NB shape. You can a  a 32 GRP cruiser shell for less than a grand.   

 

With the 6k I was thinking of boat+removal+storage+materials to stop it sinking when it goes in the cut. I do like it. I like your Norman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

With the 6k I was thinking of boat+removal+storage+materials to stop it sinking when it goes in the cut. I do like it. I like your Norman

Ah reat. I would of had it but `modified it` lol

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

37' now, 50' next year?

Depends on the space i have :)

 

I pushed the Norman to 45 from 44 now as i found another foot of space lol  ;):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, W+T said:

Depends on the space i have :)

 

I pushed the Norman to 45 from 44 now as i found another foot of space lol  ;):)

😀😀😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.