Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

It does appear to be a universal fault with human nature. This forum is actually still much better and more useful than most, and much of facebook is depressing, though still a good way to keep up with boating goings-on.

I suspect there are a lot of miserable forum posters here who have nothing better to do than show off or upset others. I propose a new rule: only one post allowed per every hour of boating, or maybe a published quota of "posts per hours of boating". ?

...............Dave

Wouldn’t that mean that anyone who doesn’t actually own a boat wouldn’t be allowed to post? 

Edited by Vanessa1402

39 minutes ago, dmr said:

Thats no the one that I was taught,     but sadly my version would not be appropriate, even on this "bad" forum.

It had two variants, one of which would be a criminal offence in these modern PC times.

..............Dave

Sounds like your version was much as the same as the one my father taught me about 50 years ago. And he was embarrassed by it then, in rather less PC times!

5 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

So how would folks who are trying to find out about narrowboats to help them make a decision to buy or not chat to people who have the right experience?

And tbf the nasty posts on here have come from boat owners.  

Sadly, its very tricky. If the forum was moderated in any meaningful way the nastiness would be deleted, which gives people an incentive not to be nasty.

But that isn't the way Dan runs this site. 

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

???

Is that a typographical error or another one of those 'young people' things, you know, those that cannot be bothered to spell out words in full ?

Its not a telegram - we don't have to pay by 'the letter' you know.

This is the sort of low level rudeness that ought to be stamped out in my opinion. Leaving it up just encourages others to take it further.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

???

Is that a typographical error or another one of those 'young people' things, you know, those that cannot be bothered to spell out words in full ?

Its not a telegram - we don't have to pay by 'the letter' you know.

Oh please - you know exactly what that means, if for no other reason than its used on this forum every second day. 

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:
1 hour ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Wouldn’t that mean that anyone who doesn’t actually own a boat wouldn’t be allowed to post? 

You Know It makes Sense.png

I thought you said you no longer had your boats on the canals so wouldn't that mean that you could no longer post on this forum either. ?

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is the sort of low level rudeness that ought to be stamped out in my opinion. Leaving it up just encourages others to take it further.

It’s just another way to make me feel unwelcome I guess? Never really come this kind of hostility on any other forum. 

2 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

It’s just another way to make me feel unwelcome I guess? Never really come this kind of hostility on any other forum. 

Nor have I, other than on a home automation forum I once visited and asked a question on. I got a load of mocking for needing to ask the question, finally got a decent answer from someone but ended up in quite a bunfight over manners.  

Its a desperate shame some of the knowledgeable regulars like Alan De E feel free to be so unpleasant. He is not the only one though.

15 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I would like to say this is unusual and just unfortunate but it's not, I could very easily link to quite a few threads mostly started by women but one or two by men who didn't fit the predetermined stereotype that is accepted. There used to be some wonderful and fun and interesting people on this forum and it used to be quite diverse(ish); unfortunately the forum is getting smaller and less tolerant of the people who are not "one of us". It's really sad cos I've had a lot of fun on this forum and at one point it was my favourite place to be, not so anymore. 

ETA There are still some really nice folks on here, there are just less than there used to be. 

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

On 29/12/2019 at 08:32, Mike the Boilerman said:

i have a good friend who has been living on a 30ft Springer perfectly happily for the last 8 years. The interior is very well designed and laid out. 

Ahh yes last time I popped over and said "I thought you had done loads of work in here" 

Surprised I got out alive

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I would like to say this is unusual and just unfortunate but it's not, I could very easily link to quite a few threads mostly started by women but one or two by men who didn't fit the predetermined stereotype that is accepted. There used to be some wonderful and fun and interesting people on this forum and it used to be quite diverse(ish); unfortunately the forum is getting smaller and less tolerant of the people who are not "one of us". It's really sad cos I've had a lot of fun on this forum and at one point it was my favourite place to be, not so anymore. 

ETA There are still some really nice folks on here, there are just less than there used to be. 

There are indeed some nice and interesting folk on here. 
When I joined this forum I had a preconceived idea that narrowboat folk were perhaps gently, thoughtful, perhaps a little bohemian. Seems I was way off target in many cases! Serves me right for paying attention to stereotypes I guess 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

When I joined this forum I had a preconceived idea that narrowboat folk were perhaps gently, thoughtful, perhaps a little bohemian. Seems I was way off target in many cases! Serves me right for paying attention to stereotypes I guess 

Not all narrowboaters are like the nastiest of the ones you've encountered here, there is a variety just as you will find in most walks of life. 

I strongly recommend that you go out and about down the canals in the area that you want to be, go for walks down the tow path, just generally explore and get to know the area and then getting to know the people will just fall into place; that way you get a real feel for it and will know if it really is what you want. 

I highly recommend a trip to a Black's outdoors shop to buy a decent pair of walking boots cos this is a good time of year to try out the canal lifestyle. 

I'd like to think that you won't abandon the forum all together but what ever you decide to do just remember there are many different people living in many different ways on the canals for many different reasons, your reasons or ways are as legitimate as anybody else's. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Not all narrowboaters are like the nastiest of the ones you've encountered here, there is a variety just as you will find in most walks of life. 

I strongly recommend that you go out and about down the canals in the area that you want to be, go for walks down the tow path, just generally explore and get to know the area and then getting to know the people will just fall into place; that way you get a real feel for it and will know if it really is what you want. 

I highly recommend a trip to a Black's outdoors shop to buy a decent pair of walking boots cos this is a good time of year to try out the canal lifestyle. 

I'd like to think that you won't abandon the forum all together but what ever you decide to do just remember there are many different people living in many different ways on the canals for many different reasons, your reasons or ways are as legitimate as anybody else's. 

I will- the marina I have my eye on is next to a bird sanctuary- it runs beside the canal with huts you can watch the birds from out on the wetland. Quite the most beautiful walk that I’ve yet to explore to the very end. 
The marina itself used to be more open, you could go inside and look at the “boats for sale” board. It’s much more secure  now, so you can’t just wander in. A good thing for the residents I guess, but less easy for be to have a chat with boat owners 

52 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Oh please - you know exactly what that means, if for no other reason than its used on this forum every second day. 

I honestly have no idea what tbf is, I have found tbh (to be honest) but tbf has defeated me

TBF (upper case) is Transport Benevolent Fund

So help would be appreciated.

I do find all these assumptions that everyone is au fait with all these abbreviations, and then say 'you know exactly what it means' is more than a little rude.

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I will- the marina I have my eye on is next to a bird sanctuary- it runs beside the canal with huts you can watch the birds from out on the wetland. Quite the most beautiful walk that I’ve yet to explore to the very end. 
The marina itself used to be more open, you could go inside and look at the “boats for sale” board. It’s much more secure  now, so you can’t just wander in. A good thing for the residents I guess, but less easy for be to have a chat with boat owners 

That sounds nice, you might not get in to the marina it's self but there will likely be access to the canal somewhere, I find instant street view is really handy for finding unmapped paths. You could also try phoning the marina office explain your situation and ask if you can have a visit. Assuming it's a CRT canal then you will be able to get information from them by phone but also on their website. I have every faith you'll find a way. ?

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I honestly have no idea what tbf is, I have found tbh (to be honest) but tbf has defeated me

TBF (upper case) is Transport Benevolent Fund

To be fair, I don't think you're trying very hard.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I started to slog through the thread gave up but I see you have had some blowback

The forums an odd place and particularly grumpy at the moment, a fairly regular group are bickering about brexit and it has spread some discord, plus it's winter and peeps get a little tetchy.

On a more positive note it is also full of people who will step up and help in many different ways.

So welcome and hang on in there

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So help would be appreciated.

Seriously Alan you back peddle better than anybody I know. ?

A man of you intellect can't work it out even with all your extensive use of google? I mean TBF it's not rocket science. 

To Be Fair....

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tbf

• Haha 1