Best shower waste pump

Strettonman

Featured Posts

I’ve just stripped out an old bath and fitting a shower. The old waste pump seemed to be a bulge pump in a chamber roughly the height of the bath. This seems a petty basic set up and looking online there seems to be diaphragm pumps with run dry capability. Are these the ‘modern’ solution ?

also, some seem to be available for about £30 but the whale gulper 220 is more like £90. What is the difference and is it worth paying the extra ?

any recommendations ? 

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Unless you believe in creationist theory

Then God said, ‘Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, that will one day go on to inspire the design of a premium brand of narrowboat shower pump.’

Edited by The Dreamer
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

Apparently the operational design is actually based on the gulping behaviour of the humpback whale and they evolved millions of years ago so it's stood the test of time. Unless you believe in creationist theory of course in which case you need to get an education.

I was going to design one myself based on the sperm whales blowhole. My idea sucked. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

I have a Whale Gulper and on balance it's excellent. However, a couple of years ago at the bottom end of the Leicester arm of the GU it failed. Fortunately I was able to get a replacement at nearby Wilton Marina. Stripping the original pump down at home I found that the choker/joker ?? valve had lost it's flexibility and was no longer sealing. The only liquid it had ever handled was my shower water.:blush: I managed to get a replacement but only as part of a complete head overhaul kit. 

Out of curiosity I looked on a couple of offshore cruising forums and there the Gulper doesn't receive such universal praise.  

Edited by Slim

Apparently the operational design is actually based on the gulping behaviour of the humpback whale and they evolved millions of years ago so it's stood the test of time. Unless you believe in creationist theory of course in which case you need to get an education.

Humpback whales evolved. Whale Gulpers were intelligently designed! Marvellous things both, but don't try and fit a humpback whale in your shower room. You won't get in yourself and you'll have Greenpeace buzzing your boat in RIBs.

Jen

• Haha 1

That seems to me like an urban myth, based on the company name. Whale as a company were in existence making hand-operated water pumps and taps for boats and caravans with no electricity decades before they designed and developed the 'Gulper' shower waste pump.

Seeing as no-one else specifically addressed this question...

17 hours ago, Strettonman said:

there seems to be diaphragm pumps with run dry capability. Are these the ‘modern’ solution ?

Yes, the Whale Gulper will run dry for a while without melting itself.