Efficient Cool Box

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

We always have a box of catering UHT individual milk pots in the larder for emergencies , we never run out of milk, ever. 

We order them from eBay in boxes of 120 and collect at the nearest Argos store. 

Don't buy the discounted ones though , they are short dated and taste of the plastic pots. 

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

My involvement here is that I've been asked by a friend to recommend a powered coolbox that won't goose their batteries in double quick time on an outboard-powered grip cruiser.

Why is she insisting on a powered box when a good quality unpowered coldbox will do the job she asks of it, admirably? 

Just now, rusty69 said:

UHT longlife milk here too,a mixture of 1/2 litre and litre cartons. 

I always have UHT milk for when out gallivanting, I know it's a lot more expensive but even if I wasn't lactose intolerant I would still use the Lactofree stuff. Best UHT ever. :D

fullsizeoutput_bd7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd6.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I always have UHT milk for when out gallivanting, I know it's a lot more expensive but even if I wasn't lactose intolerant I would still use the Lactofree stuff. Best UHT ever. :D

fullsizeoutput_bd7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd6.jpeg

Ouch, that ain't cheap, is it! 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It's all gopping, uht or not the only way it's edible is cheese and clotted cream and at a push yogurt :)

To add the best way to ruin a good brew is pour cow squeezings into it

Edited by tree monkey
  • Haha 1

Just now, tree monkey said:

It's all gopping, uht or not the only way it's edible is cheese and clotted cream and at a push yogurt :)

Not like the milk then Monkey?

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Holy Schnikes - you pay 55p for a litre of UHT milk... :o

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

I was quite cross when it went up from 48p to 49p.

Still buy it at 55p though!

..... And I thought I was a tight arse:)

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Can't be Tumshieing around with no sustenance. 

That is not a word. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

To add the best way to ruin a good brew is pour cow squeezings into it

If not milk, I gather posh peoples squeezes a lemming into it....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If not milk, I gather one squeezes a lemming into it....

And ginger. Ti's the only 'tea' Mrs Rusty will drink. 

On a hot day she much prefers lemming aid

LA016nf.jpg

Edited by rusty69

31 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It is cornered packaging too. A pyramid scheme started by nefertiti in 1370BC

Frank Muir once told a lengthy joke that concluded with refererence to a nine-breasted egyption goddess called Neufertitti. A bit much for the 1960s BBC!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Frank Muir once told a lengthy joke that concluded with refererence to a nine-breasted egyption goddess called Neufertitti. A bit much for the 1960s BBC!

Titter ye not! 

Oh, that was Frankie Howerd 

Edited by rusty69
H

14 hours ago, Tumshie said:

You said your friends needed something for the odd night or three and cool boxes like Rusty's Icey Tek and the Waeco Cool Ice Box are used by a lot of lumpy water sailors, they are not to be muddled with that blue Colemans crap that folk use to get their weekly shopping home, these types of boxes will keep things frozen for 3 days even in warmer weather. You asked what plastic boat sailors use well this is it. If your friend needs something then these are well worth looking into but they are not cheap. If they are on a canal and can get to the shops to buy more bags of ice these boxes will go on indefinitely.

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg

Yep, I think this is the solution too. Thank you :)

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why is she insisting on a powered box when a good quality unpowered coldbox will do the job she asks of it, admirably? 

It's not really insistence so much as not knowing there was a viable alternative. My own feeling, which I had expressed, was that a powered cool box was likely to prove unsuitable due to the continuous power draw. After that had sunk in, the question then basically became which powered cool box is the least worst, which is why I consulted the 'hive'.  I think we've now got the best solution in these super insulated jobs and that's what I'll be recommending. 

Thanks to all for your contributions; I think your answers will also prove useful to many others seeking similar advice in future.