CRT survey - had my say

Johny London

Featured Posts

That feels a lot better, it just so happened I was chosen this month for the crt survey. Had to mention the lack of bins, lack of recycling, lack of anywhere to moor, insufficient water points, poorley dredged/cleared waterways etc etc :)

Ahhhhh......

As I write tied on precariously against the weeds with no space on the coveted vm's :(

Not moaning like.

• Happy 1

Where to start, the list is a lengthy one. There are the good points and the bad points, but in this present and modern view to outsource as much as possible is part and parcel of current thinking. Bring in volunteers and low paid workers, and dispense with experience seem to part of a disease that is gnawing away at society in general.

Yet the CRT have in their new TV advert the wish for people to explore their network and delve into the calming nature of the waterways. Is this the best way forward? Or is that the people now employed by CRT to promote their network live in a fantasy world where the force is with them.

DVdr.jpg

• Greenie 1

I got chosen for one of those surveys.  I got the email informing me at 7.00pm on 3rd of August and the deadline for submitting responses was on 4th of August.  I didn't open my emails until 5th of August.

What I need is a survey asking my opinion on how their survey is run.

In case you don't believe me:

image.png.7366b521381f0f16a39e63ecbca8dc41.png

Edited by doratheexplorer

Third consecutive time for me. I am sort of kind to them, mainly supportive and agreeable, but I do stick the knife in a bit at some point.

Water points, recycling and general waste facilities are my main issues. I like bottled beer, very very few glass bins about. So there they are in our very own bottle bank on the rear deck.

29 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I got chosen for one of those surveys.  I got the email informing me at 7.00pm on 3rd of August and the deadline for submitting responses was on 4th of August.  I didn't open my emails until 5th of August.

What I need is a survey asking my opinion on how their survey is run.

In case you don't believe me:

image.png.7366b521381f0f16a39e63ecbca8dc41.png

Do you not get the message ?

"We want 1/3rd of boaters opinions on 'things' (or at least to be able to say that we have asked them), not giving sufficient time to respond then allows them to say something like ;

"10,000 boaters were asked if they were unhappy with maintenance levels, and only 26 replied they were".

I wanted to say something about the gradual loss of facilities on the network.  There's a gradual closing of elsans, water points, bins.  Often initially it's classed as a temporary closure, but it inevitably becomes permanent. 

There's also a problem with signage, where signs are absent or confusing with regards to those facilities or for mooring.

For example, there's a boaters bin right by Bancroft Basin.  It's not maked on Nicholson's but is shown on the CRT map

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network

Good luck finding it when you're there's though (it's in a compound on the back of Cox's Yard - BWB key will open the padlock). 

Or take the utterly confusing signage at visitor moorings like Diglis or BCLM where it's anyone's guess which bits are just for the services and which are the actual visitor moorings, and it's unclear how long you can stay.  Often local boaters just adopt an accepted practice which isn't challenged but if you're from outside the area, you'd have no clue.

When we moved onboard in 1989 we picked our boat up in Coventry. Our first day/s were spent navigating through three piece suites ( several ) masses of other dross and the occasional part sunk car. We couldnt have got to Bath on the K and A if we had tried. Last summer we popped again down the K and A all the way to Bristol with zero problems, Coventry is now a breeze etc etc. Just sayin like , some peeps rose tinted spectacles are not working well or they are even a bigger newbie than we are?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I completed the survey this month but found the space allocated for comments was far too small, what's the point of asking if you can't provide your full answer.

Not for me, I can just do one word at a time, I do not know big words. :D

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

When we moved onboard in 1989 we picked our boat up in Coventry. Our first day/s were spent navigating through three piece suites ( several ) masses of other dross and the occasional part sunk car. We couldnt have got to Bath on the K and A if we had tried. Last summer we popped again down the K and A all the way to Bristol with zero problems, Coventry is now a breeze etc etc. Just sayin like , some peeps rose tinted spectacles are not working well or they are even a bigger newbie than we are?

Did you accidentally try to cruise around MFI at first, before you realised your mistake?

• Haha 1