Repairs to Squirrel Stove

Russell S

Featured Posts

Hi how do you remove the washers behind the primary air spinner on the squirrel to allow the primary air to be opened up as originally intended?

Note from Magpie Patrick - spilt from K&A fatality thread - some posts were posted before the spit

Edited by magpie patrick

Remove the central bolt from the spinner. You can get at the bolt head from inside once you have removed the door air deflector. (Two inset screws, one either side just above the glass. These screws also hold the top glass clips)

Mind the glass whilst  doing this.

N

Hi thanks for the prompt response, however its the bottom air control (perhaps I have called it the wrong name and should have been clearer) on the squirrel 1412 and the above description sounds like the top air spinner.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Russell S said:

Hi thanks for the prompt response, however its the bottom air control (perhaps I have called it the wrong name and should have been clearer) on the squirrel 1412 and the above description sounds like the top air spinner.

Thanks

Am I the only one wondering what this has to do with a fatality on the K&A?

6 minutes ago, Russell S said:

Thanks

Just open the ash pan door and put a spanner on the bolt thingy head and unwind. It may need releasing oil if its not new. Easy peasy job.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Am I the only one wondering what this has to do with a fatality on the K&A?

Life moves on, if of course its not stopped by others ;)

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Life moves on, if of course its not stopped by others ;)

This is true but I can't help thinking a new thread might have got a better response, wwithout confusing poor old souls like me.

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

This is true but I can't help thinking a new thread might have got a better response, wwithout confusing poor old souls like me.

I agree, I too wondered till I read it lol. Quite an old thread also so I dont know how people find em!!

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree, I too wondered till I read it lol. Quite an old thread also so I dont know how people find em!!

They search for the answer to thier problem and things like this turn up, probably searched Squirrel stove, Air vent, etc

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I read loads of old threads, they're usually really interesting if for no other reason than they've run their course and you usually have the whole conversation and the conclusion is already reached. That and the search function is actually pretty good these days. 

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Am I allowed to say this:  My boat had asb***os around the stove and the cooker.  No worries.

Most likely cement asbestos sheet if its over 20 years old, or none asbestos "cape" heat resisting board if later.

Old asbestos cement used in roofing and garage/shed buildings is safe as long as not disturbed or broken up, there are thousands of tons of this stuff around causing no problem.

If you are concerned, paint it carefully with dilute PVA whilst wearing a good dust mask, not a gauze pad cheapy.

3 hours ago, hider said:

Most likely cement asbestos sheet if its over 20 years old, or none asbestos "cape" heat resisting board if later.

Old asbestos cement used in roofing and garage/shed buildings is safe as long as not disturbed or broken up, there are thousands of tons of this stuff around causing no problem.

If you are concerned, paint it carefully with dilute PVA whilst wearing a good dust mask, not a gauze pad cheapy.

Flogged the boat years ago.  Cement asbestos sheet, I probably cut it with a power saw.  No-one told me it was dodgy.

5 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I read loads of old threads, they're usually really interesting if for no other reason than they've run their course and you usually have the whole conversation and the conclusion is already reached. That and the search function is actually pretty good these days. 

I like reading old threads too.Often wonder why some of the posters are no longer posting.They can't all have moved to Thunderboat or passed away can they?

To the OP, the best releasing fluid is Plus Gas. You will probably need it to undo nuts on a stove.