Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Duncs

Norbury to Kinver

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Duncs said:

I am concerned about getting the boat back for 09.30 am, don’t want to risk penalties so going to be a whimp and play safe, have a few beers at Norbury Junction. Many thanks for editing my route, could you recommend a pub and mooring in Compton for the Saturday night ?

Note I have edited my post because I got the stops and days muddled up. Day 6 is the long one but I think it will need to be. No real point shortening your last day because it isn’t very long anyway.

 

JP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duncs said:

Day 2 : Gnosall to Compton (fish and chips or pub)

You appear to be perpetuating an error introduced by @Captain Pegg here. The pub and the fish and chip shop are not an either/or choice! 

 

Take the missus to see the cakes in the cake shop - fantastic competition creations.  If it's not your thing even for a "crikey, that's clever" moment, there's good beer in the Swan opposite, although they make dogs so welcome I'm not sure you're allowed in without one. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are you recommending fish and chips and then a saunter down to the Swan ?

 

oh and there is no ‘missus’, just a group of old friends but the ladies might enjoy the cakes ?

Edited by Duncs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Correct, fish and chips then a few beers.

 

I always found it worked better the other way round ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

You appear to be perpetuating an error introduced by @Captain Pegg here. The pub and the fish and chip shop are not an either/or choice! 

 

Take the missus to see the cakes in the cake shop - fantastic competition creations.  If it's not your thing even for a "crikey, that's clever" moment, there's good beer in the Swan opposite, although they make dogs so welcome I'm not sure you're allowed in without one. ;)

 

I did mean the other pub as an eating option but since it’s a pretty uninspiring place I would agree on fish and chips and then to the Swan.

 

JP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I did mean the other pub as an eating option but since it’s a pretty uninspiring place I would agree on fish and chips and then to the Swan.

 

JP

I was only messing about with the pub or chip shop "error" bit JP - there's nothing much wrong with the drift of your plan.  You're right though, the chain pub is a bit run of the mill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I was only messing about with the pub or chip shop "error" bit JP - there's nothing much wrong with the drift of your plan.  You're right though, the chain pub is a bit run of the mill.

I knew that. Honest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Duncs said:

Just adding finishing touches to my journey, is the mooring ok at Swindon ? Definitely visiting the Green Man 

Yes. Official visitor moorings below the lock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahem,

 

Is there no-one else on this forum who actively avoids mooring anywhere near a pub? 

 

 

I am just going outside and may be some time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Capt Pegg and Neil, I am on holiday and don’t fancy cooking much ?

Oh and as for the Vine, I am going to have a drive to Kinver moorings tomorrow and establish how far the walk to a decent pub is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Duncs said:

Thanks Capt Pegg and Neil, I am on holiday and don’t fancy cooking much ?

Oh and as for the Vine, I am going to have a drive to Kinver moorings tomorrow and establish how far the walk to a decent pub is 

Change things up a bit and go to the Italian. I remember it as being pretty good. Then maybe to one of the pubs in the village. Something like 15-20 minutes walk to the other end of the village from the moorings.

 

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duncs said:

Thanks Capt Pegg and Neil, I am on holiday and don’t fancy cooking much ?

Oh and as for the Vine, I am going to have a drive to Kinver moorings tomorrow and establish how far the walk to a decent pub is 

The Cross in Kinver is Ok if you want beer. That is 5 minutes from the canal. The rest of the village is approx 10 minutes. Have a good trip!

 

Go a bit further down the canal and there is the pub at Wolverley Lock (The Lock Inn) or the Anchor in Caunsall (5 minutes walk form canal which does excellent filled cobs and salad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duncs said:

Problem is we have got 2 dogs onboard 

 

2 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

The Cross in Kinver is Ok if you want beer. That is 5 minutes from the canal. The rest of the village is approx 10 minutes. Have a good trip!

 

Go a bit further down the canal and there is the pub at Wolverley Lock (The Lock Inn) or the Anchor in Caunsall (5 minutes walk form canal which does excellent filled cobs and salad.

How about turning around ? The boat is 68 feet... I have been to the Anchor during my motorbike days 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duncs said:

 

How about turning around ? The boat is 68 feet... I have been to the Anchor during my motorbike days 

Winding hole above Debdale lock but I cannot confirm dimensions (our boat is 57')

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I am just about there 

 

Friday Navigation at Gnosall 

Saturday Swan & Fish & Chips at Compton

Sunday Green Man at Swindon

Monday Eagle & Spur at Cookley

Tuesday Round Oak at Wombourne

Wednesday Bridge Inn at Brewood

Thursday Norbury Junction at Norbury Wharf

 

Thanks to all who contributed and a special mention to Captain Pegg ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Duncs said:

Broken down at Forster Bridge 68 on Staffs worcs canal, rudder come out of cup, any ideas how to fix ?

 

I would have a beer and phone the hire company 

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently discussed in this thread

/www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/101440-post-bcns-challenge-problems/&tab=comments#comment-2308957

 

Basically you need to lift the rams head and drop the end of the rudder stock into the cup on the skeg. Try removing the weed hatch then guiding the rudder stock into the cup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, philjw said:

Recently discussed in this thread

/www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/101440-post-bcns-challenge-problems/&tab=comments#comment-2308957

 

Basically you need to lift the rams head and drop the end of the rudder stock into the cup on the skeg. Try removing the weed hatch then guiding the rudder stock into the cup.  

No he needs the hire company to get out there and sort it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

No he needs the hire company to get out there and sort it.

Agreed. That's part of the service hirers pay the big bucks for.  I didn't appreciate the boat was hired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.